My aching back...

At 6'3 250 I'm not an air chute but more of an anchor. I don't the wind so as long I get buffeting on my helmet. That drives me crazy. My bars were raised and seems to put me at a more natural sitting angle. Plus with the highway pegs if the bars weren't raised you would almost be riding in the "crunch" position. So maybe a combo of shield and raised bars may help. Although many disliked the lower bar position.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Last week at the Cycle World show in Atlanta, I talked with a rep from National Cycle who confirmed what Ferret and others have said. The best way to mount the deflector shield is down low just above the headlight and with a fairly upright rake. I haven't adjusted mine yet, but I'm 6ft. tall and he told me that this would raise the wind stream to where I wanted it... above and off the shoulders.
 
kenfyoozed_imp said:
At 6'3 250 I'm not an air chute but more of an anchor. I don't the wind so as long I get buffeting on my helmet. That drives me crazy. My bars were raised and seems to put me at a more natural sitting angle. Plus with the highway pegs if the bars weren't raised you would almost be riding in the "crunch" position. So maybe a combo of shield and raised bars may help. Although many disliked the lower bar position.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At 6'3" you must have a bit of a time with the pegs.
I know I do at just under 6 ft. I find them too directly
underneath me.That means I have to bend my knees more than
I'm used to.I'm thinking of eventually checking into forward
controls.Not too forward like a V-Rod but just a few inches.
When a biker gets older they have to consider their limbs.
Especially the legs.
 
My bike came with lowered fot pegs, so that helps. I too wouldnt mind the controls a few inches forward. For now it works. I may look into the seat that is raised a bit, cant remeber which one now. I have the corbin seat and it seems good for now. Just having to get used to the poistion futher back than my other bikes. I have only rode it 2 days. Rain and cold keeping me off of it right now. Bummer.....
 
Keep in mind that body height is nice to know but the more relevant measurement is your inseam. I'm not that tall any more but my inseam is still 36+". For some bikes that is a lot leg to fold up. :s
 
ride4now_imp said:
Last week at the Cycle World show in Atlanta, I talked with a rep from National Cycle who confirmed what Ferret and others have said. The best way to mount the deflector shield is down low just above the headlight and with a fairly upright rake. I haven't adjusted mine yet, but I'm 6ft. tall and he told me that this would raise the wind stream to where I wanted it... above and off the shoulders.
Huh? NC shows the NX windshield as high as it can on the CB1100. I don't think they know what they are talking about. I try both high and low and in-between, no best result: low is noisy, high is noisy but I can duck on the tank. I put the NX windshield to protect my chest from cold winds but will take if off as the air is warmer.
 
Read about 4 months ago about a Corbin seat for a CB 2013, special ordered a designed by a CB 110 owner.
Like to find the name so I can the order one same as his.
Classic IV
 
Classic IV_imp said:
Read about 4 months ago about a Corbin seat for a CB 2013, special ordered a designed by a CB 110 owner.
Like to find the name so I can the order one same as his.
Classic IV
That would be Mr Chip Beck


Chip Beck Spec Corbin Seat
 
I had problems with lower back and hip with the stock seat due to injuries in my younger riding life
After installing a custom seat from dirt road Eddy my whole world changed
Riding my bike is fun again without any strain
Still do not understand how much difference a good seat makes

Love my cb1100
 
Gingersdaddy_imp said:
I'm 6'1 and I'm ok with the back, but the butt does get a little sore. I might eventually break down and get a seat. I had not rode in a long time when I started back on the CB. Since I have relaxed a little more when riding, everything feels better. :biker:
Adding highway foot pegs and a small wind screen helped me tremendously.No crash bars needed to mout foot pegs either.Just mount a clamp 1.50 in. with the off set Kuryakin and peg of your choice,and you have a standard street bike that is comfortable like a cruiser on the highway.The riding position is still upright but its very comfortable.just mount the pegs just below the engine mount bolt on your frame down tube.lean angle clearance is not an issue,and the peg position is perfect.
Its like cruising on a harley,but better because its a honda,and it doesnt vibrate.I couldnt be more happier with this set up.
 
Elipten_imp said:
Can you give us a picture of the pegs please?
any peg will work as long as you have a 1.5 inch clamp,and the pegs are 90 degrees,meaninig rhey come straight out from the tube.or any that will clear the header in an offset configuration.Ebay kuryakyn purchase.mine was listed to fit the Victory bike,but multitude of options from kuryakin,just start shopping til you find what you want.cant post a pic at this time.im at work on a diferent computer.
 
To me, a position with the feet even slightly forward has always given me problems with my back. Basically in that position, any bump goes straight to the back bone, whereas with feet placed straight down or further back and having the legs properly bent, it is the legs that take the shocks resulting in no back pain.

I am 187 cm, which is something like 6.13 I gather, so fairly tall, but have mostly been riding either sports bikes or "Euro" roadsters. So, pretty much always with well bent knees and feet more to the back. I hate the position on cruisers, but that is just me. With age, I have found that some have me bending the knees a bit too much, giving me serious pain in the knees after a while. Being prone to regular back problems (I have a vertebrate to many in my back bone, and a pretty serious scoliosis) getting on my motorcycles have always helped ease the pain in my back. There have been days I simply couldn't get in to my car to go to work, but getting on the bike was fine.

My CB1100 certainly has not given me any back pain. Like Ferret says, you need to keep a proper posture on the bike and not let the back "slouch". Doing that, and then letting the wind hold you up is perfect. If anything, I would actually prefer slightly lower bars rather than higher, and no windscreen. But then, I also avoid riding straight highways to the extent I can, and stick to twisty roads whenever I can. The twistier the better!
 
The bars have as much, or more, to do with your back and overall comfort as the seat and pegs. As I posted on a separate thread, the 'Type 2' Honda OEM bars have made a world of difference for me. Slightly more forward lean, narrower, less pull back. Perfect for my back (compression fractures from many years ago) and with the added benefit of improving the steering/ handling of the bike.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Shouldn't this thread be moved to General Discussion?

Listen..I dont need you looking for work for me to do, but yea! Will be done.
 
Back
Top