Music?

crutch_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I don't know how to do a poll, but I would be interested to know how many riders here listen to music on the road?
Came up recently in thread on tinnitus.
Crutch

Ok, I just learned how to do a poll!
Woohoo!
 
I always wear foam ear plugs when I'm riding.
Even if I didn't the last thing I want is to hear is music, telephones or radios in my ears.
But for those who do, rock on :thumbsup:
 
I also wear foam earplugs and thus do not listen to music while riding. To me, excessive wind noise and music are distractions that I don't want while riding.
 
I wear plugs on the road so don't listen to music. I don't have any way to listen anyway.
 
The first 15 years of street riding I did not. Thought it would be a distraction (and it may be). However, about two years ago I bought a Sena for navigation and to communicate with my wife who was a new rider. Of course, it comes with bluetooth to hook up phone so I started listening to music. Gotta say, I do enjoy it. Blasting around the twisties now has a soundtrack and it seems to make the boring super slab miles just go by faster.

My two cents.
 
I usually wear earbuds when i ride further than a few miles... I find it relaxing and better than listening to the wind in most cases. I use cheap ones so it's no sweat to replace them when the wires inevitably start to fail. My biggest complaint going this route is the inability to control much of anything besides the volume with my gloves on and my phone in my pocket. I am hesitant to buy anything that doesn't fit in my ear, in fear that the wind noise will ruin the sound. The blue tooth ones I have for the gym have really bad reception once I'm on my bike for some reason. Not sure if it's the helmet or the bike affecting them. I'm thinking about buying a com system so I can listen to tunes and communicate with my wife when we ride together, but I'm nervous to waste the money if i don't end up liking them. To each their own... but I'm definitely a fan.
 
I wear custom fit ear plugs (foam ones for very short rides) and have a Sean S10 with in- helmet speakers that I use for music. I'd say I listen 50% of the time on solo rides. Like it a lot, and I'm not distracted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I wear earplugs to cancel the wind noise and have speakers built into my helmet for music (also works for GPS, but I don't use that feature). I can still hear the music and surrounding vehicles, sirens, and horns.
 
I love listening to music when I ride. I love my Scala Rider G9. I just got a Pactalk headset but haven't figued it out yet. It is more complex than the G9.

crutch_imp said:
I don't know how to do a poll, but I would be interested to know how many riders here listen to music on the road?
Came up recently in thread on tinnitus.
Crutch

Ok, I just learned how to do a poll!
Woohoo!
 
I used to ride to music but stopped doing so about fifteen years ago. I too would prefer to hear the engine and the wind. Seems to make the riding experience a bit more engaging and interactive.

I also used to ride with a Chatterbox so I could communicate with other riders, but I've stopped doing that too.
 
I have the sena smh10r bluetooth headset installed in my helmet for when I ride with my wife and it's also great for listening to Pandora when I'm alone!
 
I love riding and I love music, but for a long time the two activities had to remain distinct. I tried to wear a pair of regular earphones under my helmet but the result was unsatisfying: either the noise from the wind and the engine drowned the music or I had to play the music so loud that it became unbearable.
So when I heard about Bose's "noise cancelling" earphones I decided to give them a try (with a bit of apprehension because they are quite expensive).
I have been using them for 2 years now.The thing works, I play my music at about the same volume I would when walking in the street , external noises are reduced to a purr and the musical reproduction is excellent.
Some will tell me it is dangerous (don't bother to add your name to the list). I usually wear ear plugs, so there isn't much difference . And with the kind of music I play when I ride I am much more relaxed and I find that I tend to take less risks and spend less adrenalin (never tried AC/DC!).
Beware though that the earphones are slightly bulkier than average, so if your helmet is very tight you may have problems fitting them in.
 
Thread starter
caseyjones_imp said:
I love riding and I love music, but for a long time the two activities had to remain distinct. I tried to wear a pair of regular earphones under my helmet but the result was unsatisfying: either the noise from the wind and the engine drowned the music or I had to play the music so loud that it became unbearable.
So when I heard about Bose's "noise cancelling" earphones I decided to give them a try (with a bit of apprehension because they are quite expensive).
I have been using them for 2 years now.The thing works, I play my music at about the same volume I would when walking in the street , external noises are reduced to a purr and the musical reproduction is excellent.
Some will tell me it is dangerous (don't bother to add your name to the list). I usually wear ear plugs, so there isn't much difference . And with the kind of music I play when I ride I am much more relaxed and I find that I tend to take less risks and spend less adrenalin (never tried AC/DC!).
Beware though that the earphones are slightly bulkier than average, so if your helmet is very tight you may have problems fitting them in.
Interesting idea about the type of music affecting riding habits.
Mind if I ask what you listen to?
crutch
 
Being French I suppose I should say Edith Piaf and Georges Brassens? But in fact I am quite partial to 60/70's West Coast music, of the type now branded "Laurel Canyon music". I don't care if it is outdated and out of fashion ( although there has been an interesting comeback these last few years), give me the Byrds,the Dead or CSNY anytime on my bike and I'll ride with a big smile on my face!
 
I listen while cruising on empty roads but not around town or when traffic gets hectic. I have a Sema thingie on my helmet and use it to chat with buddies and to take phone calls from home. No one else has that phone number so I don't have to deal with any other calls. Anyhow, it works well for controlling my music from the phone and directions from my GPS. I also wear ear plugs (not the foam type... No Noise brand) and the combination makes me happy. As for what type of music, I listen to a lot of different stuff. Totally depends on my mood. I :heart: Radio and Pandora are great for that.
 
During longer rides on back county rodes in Northern CT, MA, VT, NH & ME, I've made a customized motorcycle specific playlist on my iPhone that I listen to and play through my SENA 20S. I also receive & place quick calls with close family & friends, and sometimes call ahead to book a hotel. (never work). While I use a Garmin Zumo GPS, I do not use its turn by turn speech directions. If I find myself in heavy traffic situations (which lately I've been avoiding those areas as much as possible) the SENA volume either gets lowered or muted depending on the volume of traffic. Sometimes based on my mood, the best music is the sound of the CB's motor and the air around me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Unless you consider the soundtrack from my sweet TBR slip on music, there is no music for me.

Hey, when you're on the bike, you don't have to look at the darn thing. :)
 
I'm not a fan of listening to anything but the wind and the motor when I ride... Personal preference. Always been that way for me. Probably why me hearing is shot lol. Not saying others shouldn't listen to whatever floats their boat, but I just like the total motorcycling experience,and for me, music would just diminish that experience.

Then again, I rarely listen to music at home or in my truck either. So maybe, I'm just not that into music.
 
Back
Top