Mulling This One Over

Dave Swanson

Running like a top
Thread starter
I took a look at this new 2014 standard today. The price is very good and I was impressed with the blackness. It looked like a big chunk of black onyx, very impressive! The Deluxe is very cool, but this appeals to me in a number of ways not just my wallet. The biggest drawback is no ABS.

 
I took a look at this new 2014 standard today. The price is very good and I was impressed with the blackness. It looked like a big chunk of black onyx, very impressive! The Deluxe is very cool, but this appeals to me in a number of ways not just my wallet.


If you want even more blackness Samurider is now selling the oem black front and rear fenders and the black brake light from the 2016 black standard special edition model sold in Japan and Canada.!!!
 
Color, ABS or not, cost, all very personal choices so it's very hard to advise on it since it is so subjective.

So get both.....:excited:
 
Rboe_imp said:
Color, ABS or not, cost, all very personal choices so it's very hard to advise on it since it is so subjective.

So get both.....:excited:
I like your "thought he was buying a Mustang but really got a Thunderbird" metaphor over on WG. Very well stated.

I no longer post on that board due to the moderator's indiscriminate editing and/or deleting of posts he doesn't agree with, but if I did, I'd be one to respond that my CB1100 replaced my V7 Classic. I absolutely loved the Guzzi, but for the reason I own this style of motorcycle, I've found the Honda to provide a more satisfying ownership experience.
 
I love my 2014 Standard. I've never owned a bike with ABS so maybe I don't know what I'm missing but I must say that the brakes on the non-ABS CB are fantastic. Some have complained of a mostly useless rear brake but I've found that mine works as well as I'd expect (I realize that's not particularly helpful) and the dual front discs are very effective. When I bought mine, I had the option of going with the Deluxe or the Standard but I was drawn more to the Standard. Zero regrets.
 
I'm with you, MG, although I'd have tried to find a CB with ABS if they had sent one to Australia. Although I've never had a bike with it, I'd like it. I need all the help I can get.
 
The all black is what I'd call "elegant and stealthy" looking. However, it's the one thing that makes it less retro looking. I can't recall "black" ever being a standard CB series color in the past. Maybe there was, but I've never seen one pictured anywhere as an "all black" in any publications.

Btw, there is one redeeming thing about the Standard in that it has a 4 into 1 exhaust. Admittedly, it does not look as attractive as the Deluxe's twin (4 into 2) pipes. Although, I kind of like how the slanted 4 into 1 header pipes look from the front.

More importantly, if an owner ever wants to put on a free flowing exhaust, or merely a "slip-on" muffler, s/he will save a lot. The cost of almost all aftermarket dual sided pipes is about double the cost of a single sided pipe, plus there is a weight penalty as well. The stock pipe actually looks fine, if not a bit too quiet, so if you are like me, eventually you'll be tempted to upgrade the exhaust system.
 
Hey dsinned, in '82 Honda made a black CB900 with orange graphics.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Nice exhaust by the way. What is it?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top