mpg on 13,14 and 17 CB1100

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Over the last 3 weeks I have tested very carefully the mpg on my 3 bikes.
I took the same road , 80 miles in total on each trip , 20 in town and 60 interstate thru mountains . Same time, weather ,speeds and traffic. My object was to see if the mileage dropped with the O2 sensor installed

2013 Moriwaki 4 into 4 with O2 sensor eliminator installed 47.05 mgp

2014 DLX standard exhaust with two O2 sensors eliminators installed 43.47 mgp

2017 standard exhaust NO O2 sensor eliminators installed 45.45 mgp

It seems that the O2 sensor eliminators will drop the mileage close to 8 % but the bike feels stronger.
It will be interested to see what the mgp is when I install the Pipe Master 4 into 4 with the O2 sensors in place.
 
Just for reference ...

Overall mixed driving average 2014 CB1100 4-into-1 OEM exhaust (no modifications):

5.1 L / 100 kms = about 46.12 mpg (U.S.)

... while drinking 87 octane (up to 10% ethanol) Canadian juice.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Just for reference ...

Overall mixed driving average 2014 CB1100 4-into-1 OEM exhaust (no modifications):

5.1 L / 100 kms = about 46.12 mpg (U.S.)

... while drinking 87 octane (up to 10% ethanol) Canadian juice.
Canadian Tire gas: 87/10% ethanol, 89/5%. 91/no ethanol

P.S. I'd like to see Houtman's line up of his three famous CB1100, please.:)
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Just for reference ...

Overall mixed driving average 2014 CB1100 4-into-1 OEM exhaust (no modifications):

5.1 L / 100 kms = about 46.12 mpg (U.S.)

... while drinking 87 octane (up to 10% ethanol) Canadian juice.
Canadian Tire gas: 87/10% ethanol, 89/5%. 91/no ethanol

P.S. I'd like to see Houtman's line up of his three famous CB1100, please.:)
Canadian Tire gas: 87/10% ethanol, 89/5%. 91/no ethanol

P.S. I'd like to see Houtman's line up of his three famous CB1100, please.:)
I use nothing but 87 octane /w up to 10% ethanol junk. All my Hondas never complained or hesitated. I really like Honda for doing that.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Over the last 3 weeks I have tested very carefully the mpg on my 3 bikes.
I took the same road , 80 miles in total on each trip , 20 in town and 60 interstate thru mountains . Same time, weather ,speeds and traffic. My object was to see if the mileage dropped with the O2 sensor installed

2013 Moriwaki 4 into 4 with O2 sensor eliminator installed 47.05 mgp

2014 DLX standard exhaust with two O2 sensors eliminators installed 43.47 mgp

2017 standard exhaust NO O2 sensor eliminators installed 45.45 mgp

It seems that the O2 sensor eliminators will drop the mileage close to 8 % but the bike feels stronger.
It will be interested to see what the mgp is when I install the Pipe Master 4 into 4 with the O2 sensors in place.
I carefully track my mpg. I installed O2 sensor eliminators on both a 2013 and 2014 STD and saw no measurable drop in mpg. I am surprised you're seeing such a drastic mpg drop.
 
For the record, on my '17EX with the Pipemasters and O2 sensors (I do believe they're on there, actually) I average around 42mpg mixed city/highway and I am not gentle on the throttle. The best I'm able to get is maybe 48mpg on the highway at 65, though. On my '14 (with 4-1 Yoshi slip-on and O2 sensors intact) I was able to get over 52mpg on the highway at best, averaging more like 45mpg mixed city/highway. I recognize it's not apples to apples but just putting my numbers out there.
 
iamheero_imp said:
For the record, on my '17EX with the Pipemasters and O2 sensors (I do believe they're on there, actually) I average around 42mpg mixed city/highway and I am not gentle on the throttle. The best I'm able to get is maybe 48mpg on the highway at 65, though. On my '14 (with 4-1 Yoshi slip-on and O2 sensors intact) I was able to get over 52mpg on the highway at best, averaging more like 45mpg mixed city/highway. I recognize it's not apples to apples but just putting my numbers out there.
The average of 45 mpg U.S. is right in the zone with my experience IaH, even the 52 mpg highway. I think you are good.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Just for reference ...

Overall mixed driving average 2014 CB1100 4-into-1 OEM exhaust (no modifications):

5.1 L / 100 kms = about 46.12 mpg (U.S.)

... while drinking 87 octane (up to 10% ethanol) Canadian juice.
Canadian Tire gas: 87/10% ethanol, 89/5%. 91/no ethanol

P.S. I'd like to see Houtman's line up of his three famous CB1100, please.:)
Canadian Tire gas: 87/10% ethanol, 89/5%. 91/no ethanol

P.S. I'd like to see Houtman's line up of his three famous CB1100, please.:)
I use nothing but 87 octane /w up to 10% ethanol junk. All my Hondas never complained or hesitated. I really like Honda for doing that.
Canadian Tire gas: 87/10% ethanol, 89/5%. 91/no ethanol

P.S. I'd like to see Houtman's line up of his three famous CB1100, please.:)
I use nothing but 87 octane /w up to 10% ethanol junk. All my Hondas never complained or hesitated. I really like Honda for doing that.

Our lowest octane in the UK is 95 why are yours so low. Is it an emissions thing?

Steady motorway cruising behind a lorry
d91987f7f59a8621b3e42a54bd4ea377.png
around 60-75mpg but then I hit the city and it drops right down.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Shahyaan, what are the octane ratings in the UK? In Australia they’re 91, 95, 98. I know they’re different in the USA.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Your gallons are bigger and I THINK that they calculate the octane rating differently than we do.
Correct.

If we use the standard international system, then the conversions are:

1 U.S. gallon = 3.7 liters

1 British gallon = 4.5 liters

= = =

I think U.S. and Canadian gasoline octane numbers are the same. Typically at the Canadian pump they are:

87, 89, 91, and 94.

There are other numbers higher and lower, but they are not common.
 
In Europe, the octane rating on the pump is simply the RON figure. America, by contrast, uses the average of the RON and the MON figures, called the AKI (anti-knock index). Thus, 97 octane “super unleaded” in Britain is roughly equivalent to 91 octane premium in the United States. Most petrol in the UK and Ireland only has 5% Ethanol but that is likely to go up to 10% in 2021/22. My poor old 1952 MG won't like the extra Ethanol but I did change the fuel lines from the pump to the carbs with modern rubber to mitigate that.
 
Ah thanks for the information guys. Wish there was on standard be easier to compare
0fe5bcf5240537bce98f45022c6a81a1.png


I believe we have 95 98 and 99 depending where you go.

It wouldn’t have an impact on mpg though would it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
TBH I never quite know which fuel to stick in my bikes. I usually put in the ‘best’ fuel I can find (i.e. highest 99 RON something like Shell V Max) but I am aware that I might well be wasting money when I could put in the bog standard 95 instead. The bike does seem to run a bit smoother but it could easily be just a placebo thing. I don’t think many/any garages sell the 10% ethanol yet but I will avoid that for sure as and when it does. I don’t find the CB to be a thirsty bike so the mpg is not that important for me.
 
Honda says to run it on the lowest octane petrol. That’s good enough for me.
 
Always ran low octane, ethanol fuel and have never had a problem. Ethanol free has shown a very slight increase in mileage but not worth the added cost and not at all necessary for a fuel injected motor that Honda has designed to use ethanol fuels of 10% or less.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Honda says to run it on the lowest octane petrol. That’s good enough for me.

I heard somewhere on this forum you could run it on chip fat or was that just for the crank case?
4ad245f920d279e8d4805905310f2dd1.png


I haven’t really bothered with the higher octane on the Honda. Needed it on the Harley after the upgrade as it pinged like crazy in hot weather.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
RE chip fat - lol.

I experienced the CB1100 ran very well on regular octane (87 here in Canada) which can contain up to 10% ethanol.

The lump really put out without complaint.
 
Thread starter
I always use the highest Shell octane gas because of the better/more additives . Bikes and all my other gas powered equipment runs perfectly and if I waste money than that is ok with with me .
 
Back
Top