Mountain Ride

metallyguitarded_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I took the day off and decided to take the CB out for another ride through the mountains. With most people at work, I had many of the roads to myself - a rarity in Southern California. The weather was perfect - mid-70's at the start and just a bit cooler at the top. I rode at a relaxed, comfortable pace with no worries about having to be anywhere or see anyone. It was fantastic.

Highway 94 has great corners as it winds its way east towards the foothills. The CB turns in so easily and feels so well planted. I'm starting to think these Dunlop's are actually pretty good. Within half an hour of riding, I had horses on one side, cows on the other. Large plots of open land with small farms separated by mom and pop stores selling feed, coffee and pulled pork sandwiches on either side of the nicely paved two-lane road.

At the one hour mark, I make it to the base of Sunrise Highway and Mt. Laguna. Just a couple of cars in front of me but they politely use the turnouts and allow me to pass. The turns on the ride up tend to be wider. You get to hold a nice lean for an extended period of time. Sweeping right, rolling on the throttle, picking her up and then dropping in to a smooth, long left-hander. The CB just doing everything I ask of it wonderfully. What an amazing motorcycle.

To the east of Mt. Laguna lies the Anza Borrego Desert. The view is beautiful at times with the steep sides of the mountain dropping down to the edge of the desert. In the past, I've seen hang gliders riding the thermals coming up off the desert floor and up the side of the mountain. But not today. I stopped at one of the turnouts and took a couple pics of the bike. I tried to capture the desert but my camera just couldn't do the landscape justice. It's something you just have to see in person.

The descent down the opposite side of the mountain is a little faster. The corners are a bit tighter. As I near the bottom, a little more traffic. Still, nothing to complain about. Other people like me, taking advantage of the weather and lack of crowds. Most of them in cars but every now and then, two or three motorcycles pass going the opposite way. We wave at each other and know how good we have it.

At the second hour mark, I roll into Julian with thoughts of apple pie. But it's really crowded. A high school cheer team is walking down the road, the eagle mascot in front, holding the large eagle head under her arm. Two teenage skateboarders with no shirts and long blond hair, looking like they're straight out of the 70's, ride past the cheerleaders and pat each on the head as they pass. Some of the girls laugh. Some of them yell. I'm tempted to pat them on the head as I ride past too. But I don't.

Just off the main street is a gathering of about a dozen sport bikes. All parked in a row. Looking fast even at a stand still. The riders in a variety of leather mingle by the edge of the road. They seem to talk as fast as they ride. Every one of them seems happy. I decide against the apple pie. The road turns west and I follow it. Even HD riders tend to wave in the mountains. I know that won't be the case when I make it back to the coast. I wave at all of them. Except the guy on the Can-Am Spyder with the cute girl behind him. I don't know why I didn't wave to him. I decide that in the future, if the person is wearing a helmet, I'll wave. Maybe not a bicycle helmet but definitely a NASCAR helmet or even a Viking helmet.

Three hours into the ride and I'm close to my neighborhood. I stop at the gas station and fill up. When I get the urge to hit the road again, I'll be ready. I hit the garage door opener inside my chest pocket and pull up next to my lovely, neglected, VFR800. I pop the CB up onto its center stand, take off my gloves, unzip my jacket, undo my chin strap and lift off my helmet. I remove my ear plugs and hear the tink, ping, tink of the engine as she starts to cool. A spray of Plexus and a microfiber towel wipes what remains of a few bugs from the paint and from my helmet.

Before walking into the house I stop and look back at my motorcycles. I stand there for a moment. Not sure what I was thinking. Feeling more than anything. What a great day. Going to get cleaned up and hang out with my son. I need to take Fridays off more often.



[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/MtLaguna1010145.jpg.html]

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/MtLaguna1010146.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
cool write-up, you must have some training :-)
Thanks! It was fun riding and writing! Haha.
CIP57_imp said:
Some days are more special than others, seems like you had one of those. Nice pic's
Thank you. It's amazing what a few free photo filters can do to shots taken on an Android phone!
 
Sounds like a nearly perfect day. :thumbsup:

An empty restaurant with a slice of warm apple pie and a scoop of vanilla ice cream would have made it perfect :D

A quick edit... It amazes me when you read other people's opinions about the CB 1100, and they say it's heavy and it's slow, and it handles poorly, and then you read the comments of someone who actually owns and rides one, and the opinions couldn't be further apart. The CB 1100 owner/rider always seems to be happy with their choice.
 
Sounds like an excellent day :) it always fun to freestyle and take some time to do the unexpected or out of the ordinary. The CB is definitely the perfect machine for having fun!
 
It does indeed sound like a lovely day. Nicely written up too. :)
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Sounds like a nearly perfect day. :thumbsup:

An empty restaurant with a slice of warm apple pie and a scoop of vanilla ice cream would have made it perfect :D

A quick edit... It amazes me when you read other people's opinions about the CB 1100, and they say it's heavy and it's slow, and it handles poorly, and then you read the comments of someone who actually owns and rides one, and the opinions couldn't be further apart. The CB 1100 owner/rider always seems to be happy with their choice.
I guess I'll just have to go back for the apple pie and ice cream!

I've read some of those less than glowing reviews too. Luckily, I didn't put much stock in them when deciding whether to buy the CB. Heavy, slow, with poor handling? It's almost laughable. In fact, that's what I choose to do. Laugh. Laugh as the CB pulls steadily and strongly off the line. Laugh as I flick it wherever I need it to be. Laugh as the engine hums along, barely breaking a sweat, feeling as if it will go forever.
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Sounds like an excellent day :) it always fun to freestyle and take some time to do the unexpected or out of the ordinary. The CB is definitely the perfect machine for having fun!
So, what's the story geezer? How is your son ever going to get his hands back on "his" bike?
Cormanus_imp said:
It does indeed sound like a lovely day. Nicely written up too. :)
Thanks Cormanus! It's unfortunate that I don't get more days like today. But when they come, I sure do appreciate them!
 
Nicely done. As much as I enjoy our planned day rides and tours, there's something liberating about just going. Thanks for sharing your go day with us.
 
MG, my son Eric has had had some other aspects of "life" come up, so he's not been able to recreate on the bike as much as he'd like. In the meantime my older son has gotten reinvigorated, enough to take my FZ1 home with him to Fort Walton Beach on the way home from the mountains. That leaves the CB the only bike left here for me that's streetable UNTIL my buddy Lee (ace motorcycle mechanic and walking HONDA addiction gets my '78 Yamaha Triple totally road worthy for me. That should be by the end of this month as I've finally managed to acquire the remaining parts. Front brake hoses, seat lock and latch etc. I got it registered a few weeks back, so hoping to have it on the road soon. Then maybe Eric and I can do a little riding together.
I'm heading out to the Honda dealer shortly to get the oil and filter changed on the CB, then I'll do a lap or two around Sugar Loaf, one of our local riding spots.
 
Thread starter
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
MG, my son Eric has had had some other aspects of "life" come up, so he's not been able to recreate on the bike as much as he'd like. In the meantime my older son has gotten reinvigorated, enough to take my FZ1 home with him to Fort Walton Beach on the way home from the mountains. That leaves the CB the only bike left here for me that's streetable UNTIL my buddy Lee (ace motorcycle mechanic and walking HONDA addiction gets my '78 Yamaha Triple totally road worthy for me. That should be by the end of this month as I've finally managed to acquire the remaining parts. Front brake hoses, seat lock and latch etc. I got it registered a few weeks back, so hoping to have it on the road soon. Then maybe Eric and I can do a little riding together.
I'm heading out to the Honda dealer shortly to get the oil and filter changed on the CB, then I'll do a lap or two around Sugar Loaf, one of our local riding spots.
Well, I hope you and Eric get that ride in soon. I also hope you stick around after you get your Yamaha up and running. Good vibes coming off of you. Would hate to lose you to a Yamaha forum!
 
Outstanding story! Fully captures those little tidbits of emotion that get rolled into one of those "perfect" riding days. A large portion of the appeal that the CB has for me is that it seems to promote slowing down a bit, such that you can better notice and smell the roses!
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Nicely done. As much as I enjoy our planned day rides and tours, there's something liberating about just going. Thanks for sharing your go day with us.
Thanks. I fantasize about doing a cross country road trip on the bike. That would, of course, take a lot of planning but the goal would be to have a map, a general sense of what I'd like to see, knowledge as to where the good roads lie, and no schedule. A good combination of planned and unplanned. Preparedness with a big dose of let's see what happens. Maybe when I retire I'll make it a reality.
redbirds_imp said:
What a fine ride and write up. Makes me wish I was along.
Thanks redbirds! Sounds like your due for one of those days yourself. Go out and do it and then come back and let us know all about it. It's really cool to have a place you can go to and share stories about motorcycling and everyone gets it.
DGShannon_imp said:
Outstanding story! Fully captures those little tidbits of emotion that get rolled into one of those "perfect" riding days. A large portion of the appeal that the CB has for me is that it seems to promote slowing down a bit, such that you can better notice and smell the roses!
I agree with you one hundred percent. I had a ZX6R (that I loved) and that thing was stupid fast. The enjoyment was different. Everything was incredible on that bike - speed, handling, brakes. The faster I went, the more stable it felt. It seemed like the bike always wanted to go faster. And I was happy to give her what she wanted. The ride became more about corner entry speed, lines, lean angles. The focus was the road. Only the road.

On the CB, it's just like you said. Everything slows. You see and appreciate so much more about the ride. It's not about "performance" but about experience. There are times when I like to go fast and the intense focus is almost meditative. But in terms of what actually feels the best, where my mind wanders when I'm stuck in my office, it's the slower, more comfortably paced rides. The CB delivers those incredibly well.
 
Back
Top