motorcycle dolly

shdwghst457_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Slight out of place here since it's for bikes without center stands, but I assembled one of these today:

62f6cb17627b50b1e0a465f0491a266d.jpg


Great for getting that darn 250 out of the real bike's way!

No, but the Rebel really is a bit underpowered. But then again, I look like a gorilla on a unicycle when I ride it! Owned it for 2 years now and it's got 40 miles on it.
 
40 miles. !!! Wow that's nothing. But they are great bikes. How do you like that stand. Habor freight had them on sale last month I went to get one and they were sold out. Looks like it will work great
 
Thread starter
You're right, it's the Harbor Freight model (haulmaster brand). Seems to work like a champ, but the instructions were garbage. Step one might as well have been "Put it together." It came with 20 bolts for the casters and 8 different ones (same thread size) for the end pieces, but the BOM said '28' despite the differences.

Once i had it together I just flipped down those silver ramps (that also lift it off the wheels) and rolled it up onto it. Now I can slide it wherever! The Turnabike TAB ST for my CB should be here soon, too. No more backing into the garage, ever!

On sale for $80 now
 
My harbor freight one is pretty solid after its put together. Mine works ok except the casters are crap and don't roll easily and won't roll in a straight line or swivel around easily enough to turn in the direction you push them...have to always seesaw it back and forth to get it where you want it. The bike I have on it weighs 400lbs.
 
Thread starter
Pretty true houtman. I've been grabbing the swing arm and telling it where I want it for some time now. This made it tremendously easier to slide it up against the wall though, behind the CB. I'm getting a turntable like elipten has solely to spin the bike around; I drive it too much to want to deal with a dolly that explicitly says not to drive onto it, and I like my CB too much to risk disobeying that!
 
On the Harbor Freight unit, is there a way to lock the casters so the unit doesn't roll away when you try to ride up on it - or how does that work?
 
Rocky I don't have one. I did go to get one when it was on sale. But I would say yes to wheel locks. But I think I would just stand beside bike and use the clutch and let the bike pull it self on to stand. On the harbor freight model I don't think the casters would be heavy duty but for not every day use and the price I think it would be fine! If you want one to use everyday to spin your bike around in a garage for easy exit I would go with the parknmove or the redline model or the turntable model. Lots more heavy duty.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Rocky I don't have one. I did go to get one when it was on sale. But I would say yes to wheel locks. But I think I would just stand beside bike and use the clutch and let the bike pull it self on to stand. On the harbor freight model I don't think the casters would be heavy duty but for not every day use and the price I think it would be fine! If you want one to use everyday to spin your bike around in a garage for easy exit I would go with the parknmove or the redline model or the turntable model. Lots more heavy duty.
Thanks for the good advice :thumbsup:
 
Castors are a commodity item, you can find higher grade units out there to replace the crappy ones provided. Might spend more than $80 doing so though. :)
 
Rocky_imp said:
On the Harbor Freight unit, is there a way to lock the casters so the unit doesn't roll away when you try to ride up on it - or how does that work?
No wheel locks. On each end of the main channel are cam shaped things with a lever that rotates the cams to lift the wheels off the floor while making a little ramp to rollup on. The drag on the floor keeps the whole thing from moving until you roll the cams back down which lowers it all back down so the wheels are on the floor.
 
Thread starter
That large silver unit you see at the bottom of the picture is the ramp (there's of course one in front as well). When these are lowered, it lifts the unit off of the casters *just* enough. However, it explicitly states not to ever ride onto or off of the dolly, and to never sit on the bike while it's on the dolly. I'm going to take it's word for it. The Rebel weighs so little that it's really easier to walk it onto the platform from the side.
Wrote all that before seeing responses to Rocky's question! I agree though, this would be cumbersome for a frequently used bike. It'll never see my CB. That's why my turntable is coming in today. Ride in, center stand on the turntable, spin 'er around. I don't think I'm going to stay parked on top of it either; I'll probably turn around and then put the stand down again on the actual floor.
 
Love my turntable. Made getting bike in and out of garage much easier. It was a good purchase that I will not regret.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
UPS finally delivered my turntable (at 8PM!) We'll see just how great it is tomorrow when I ride up, open my newly electric door, spin the bike around and call it a day!
 
I hate you guys! ;) My garage isn't big enough to spin a bike around in :(
 
Back
Top