hillbilly_imp
First service completed
Thread starter
does any one know if Honda 10 30 motorcycle oil is ok for a Honda 2001 generator?
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
the generator is a2200 watt Honda EU2200,I always have 10 30 Honda oil on hand and felt sure it would be fine for the generator, only question is that the oil is labeled motorcycle oilCormanus_imp said:

The bit I can’t help with but you need to know is whether motorcycle oil is ‘API SJ or later’.Cormanus_imp said:Try this manual then at pages 50-51, http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/00X31Z446010.pdf
Quote:SAE 10W-30, API SJ or later (or equivalent), for general use
The bit I can’t help with but you need to know is whether motorcycle oil is ‘API SJ or later’.
Someone round here, learned in the ways of lubricants, will know.
I use 20w/50 in my Harley Davidson and in the dead of Winter here in Ohio (the time of year that many people need backup generators), that oil barely flows. We regularly see temperatures below zero degrees F (minus 18 degrees C) and in those temperatures I think 20w/50 would not be the best. Lots of good references to official literature in this thread though.twwellger_imp said:For machines of some ages, if you don't have the factory manual by your side, 10/30 May be too thin. I suggest using a thick oil such as 20/50

