Motor cuts off

I'm dying to know if he fixed it...

It's like those medical threads on 'cure zone' or 'yahoo answers' where someone thinks they've got something nasty, then they say they're going to the doctors for tests the next day and you never hear from them again....

..you're just left with a bunch of people going 'yeah my butt hurts in the same place as a the OP's' etc.
 
Lol Houtman. Also if you insist I would accept your vin# 2 as a adopt bike!! Could you split the shipping cost with me or we could just meet half way! Well heck with u just giving it to me I guess I will just come get it. :)
 
Thread starter
Tip over switch was my next idea. It is not the side stand!!! It has been doing this (on several different big bumps!) over the past year. A shop trying to find an intermittent problem is like trying to win an argument with your wife, it very seldom happens!! I will post the results of my trip to the shop. Has anyone with Hondas had trouble with tip over or kill switches? I really appreciate all suggestions and if I die I'll have my wife post it......
 
Ace miller_imp said:
Tip over switch was my next idea. It is not the side stand!!! It has been doing this (on several different big bumps!) over the past year. A shop trying to find an intermittent problem is like trying to win an argument with your wife, it very seldom happens!! I will post the results of my trip to the shop. Has anyone with Hondas had trouble with tip over or kill switches? I really appreciate all suggestions and if I die I'll have my wife post it......
No trouble here, and I ride over a railroad crossing almost every time I head out.
 
Ridem32' pid='46128' dateline='1402240080 said:
Lol Houtman. Also if you insist I would accept your vin# 2 as a adopt bike!! Could you split the shipping cost with me or we could just meet half way! Well heck with u just giving it to me I guess I will just come get it. :)Michael , why do I not just leave all my 4 bikes to you in my will.
Just send me your Soc. Sec. #, bank account #, credit card # and drivers license # and full address and I will take care of everything.
 
Wow Houtman your such a nice & honest guy all my info including SS# credit cards and all. :). Lol.
Ace it is very hard to find such a problem. The dealer could ride it for months and it not die! Then if it starts right back up makes it even harder to find! Next time it happens don't turn the key off then back on. Try to start it rite back up. If it's starts without cycling the key it's not the tip sensor. If the temp sensor kicks in cycling the key resets it. If it was a lose ground wire some where I think it would do it more often if it only does it hitting big bumps making the bike jar hard it will have to be a switch with a detention type set up detent ball etc. But it's only jaring it enough to kill contact then going back to making contact if bike fires rite back up. I know how you feel. Keep in touch with us. Maybe your dealer might have a bulliton on it. Other bikes might be doing it also.
 
Thread starter
Ridem32_imp said:
Wow Houtman your such a nice & honest guy all my info including SS# credit cards and all. :). Lol.
Ace it is very hard to find such a problem. The dealer could ride it for months and it not die! Then if it starts right back up makes it even harder to find! Next time it happens don't turn the key off then back on. Try to start it rite back up. If it's starts without cycling the key it's not the tip sensor. If the temp sensor kicks in cycling the key resets it. If it was a lose ground wire some where I think it would do it more often if it only does it hitting big bumps making the bike jar hard it will have to be a switch with a detention type set up detent ball etc. But it's only jaring it enough to kill contact then going back to making contact if bike fires rite back up. I know how you feel. Keep in touch with us. Maybe your dealer might have a bulliton on it. Other bikes might be doing it also.

Maybe the engine stop relay??
 
I would start with simple stuff hitting the handle bars with my fist, taping the ignition switch with a wooden dowel on the side. Just jar all switches that can kill the motor. Then start checking connectors making sure all connected good. Etc.
 
The spade lug connection for my clutch engage switch - under the left handlebar switch unit - was disconnected for the first 5 days I owned the bike. I discovered it when I stalled at an intersection when the light turned green and it wouldn't start until I put it back into neutral.
 
Greg, same story with my wife's Rebel. Had to shift to neutral to start which wouldn't be good in an emergency situation. Glad I found it myself before she did the hard way! That dealership is 3 for 3 on delivering bikes to me with 0.0 on the odo (no testing).
 
Thread starter
Took it to the dealer yesterday. Of course, as expected they couldn't find any problem! They checked thru everything, maybe they touched something that magically fixed it. We will see.....it didn't do it on the way home!
 
Just read this thread.

We used to have a small car with this problem. I tracked it down to the inertia switch that shuts off the fuel pump in the event of an accident (to prevent flooding out the car with petrol). In that case it would just cut out almost at will if you drove over a bump in the road; you had to reach under the passenger seat to reset it.
Very annoying calls - "Dad I've broken down again!
In the end I found one from the breakers, replaced it and no more grief.
Modem fuel injected bikes also have a similar gravity switch that does the same thing but in our case when we fall off!
I'm with Greg on this....... or was it Ridem?

Cheers
Dengie
 
Possible intermittent internal short/open inside the battery? Might try pulling battery and tap it while watching voltage. I would do it with battery setting in different positions. This used to happen often in lead/acid farm tractor batts. Looks like most obvious things have been looked at.
 
Thread starter
Finally solved the problem of the motor quitting on bumps! Wrote to 3 motorcycle magazines asking for help. One responded to replace the Bank Angle Sensor. I did and so far no problem. When I took the old sensor to the dealer they told me Honda Corp. had contacted them and wanted the part shipped ASAP to them. Apparently the editor of the magazine had talked to them. I'm still waiting for the refund......thanks for all the suggestions. Safe Riding. Ace
 
Back
Top