Motocross Back When

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
We use to have motocross tracks all over the south and though they're not all gone, their numbers are diminished as more young guys seem more interested in gaming these days. Here are some pics I took years ago at a track owned by a retired fellow who just loved bikes, especially dirt bikes. He and his wife built the track with their own money and sweat and they were quite successful for a while, even to hosting the Mini Motocross Championship in '74 I think.

The bikes were certainly different then. With a few exceptions two strokes with twin shock rears and seat heights that even short guys like me could deal with. The bikes were slower and less capable than today but no less exciting to watch. The racing was informal as was the attire of the racers. Boots and a helmet were the only required safety gear. Some guys even raced without shirts on hot days. It was grand.



16d09035a1d0510944c769396db2d5df.jpg

Yamaha

10b70f6b0318bbd992b9154e65172e81.jpg

CZ, chec out those sideburns.

39c886ad56161c2ce784a3af21af4c2c.jpg

CZ

7026b6c4165660194f52c42925344348.jpg

Husqvarna

7a13c5f140ca961b858d029b8688ca7b.jpg

Mini Championship winner on Honda

1cc144b03aa4f6e4fa2e9a4e7e25e813.jpg


54ac5cba1defeebc8f4f8f4186d3a1b9.jpg


f6d7986a8945c43526b3943ba4bc539a.jpg

The Start

dc9839d70f3b8d8d601a2f043dcb2ae6.jpg


edb6e9ab44156dd0bd1352e81bce1a0e.jpg

A couple more.

d953261742897a86741bfb3226b9b768.jpg

My brother testing his friend's CR250

fb904a8f09ee2281f34919e77be66799.jpg

Trophies and prizes at the Mini MotoX Championship.
 
Cool old pictures. I raced MX from 73 until 83, mostly Yamahas, 1 Suzuki, 1 Husky.
I remember when an open face helmet with a visor and Jofa mouth guard and a chest protector like # 43 in the 5 th to last pic were the cats meow!
 
Oh Man! Now there are some memories! To me, and probably to most of us, the 70s were the golden age of motorcycling!
Huskys, Montessas, Bultacos, CZs, Pentons...........WOW!
Then Honda introduced the Elsinore series, Yamaha eventually had the YZ bikes, Suzuki the RM.
My favorite rider back in those days was Marty Smith; Brad Lackey a close second. Then of course there was DeCoster, Robert, Mikkola.
We need to keep this thread going!!!!!!!!
THANKS, redbirds! :clap:
 
My first bike, in 1972, was a 1970 Yamaha 175 enduro, just like this one. I was 13 years old and lied about my age to work in a fried chicken place to save up for it. Ahhh, the memories. :D

http://www.bikez.com/pictures/yamaha/1970/23522_0_1_2_ct1b 175_Submitted by anonymous user..jpg

I rode that bike everywhere, we used to ride the pipeline right of ways around our community, and they could be very interesting to ride, particularly after a good rain. I never raced, didn't have time between working and school to seriously do it. But those were some fun times!

I learned to ride in the dirt, for the most part, and sometimes I think that is the best way.

Thanks, Redbirds! :thumbsup:
 
Thanks for the memories of the "On Any Sunday" era where I would ride my 60's and 125 s for hours and hours every day. Seeing Moto on TV was a once a year deal on Wide World of Sports and it was broadcast months after the fact. I read Dirt Bike and Motocross Action to follow... Still love them both Today. Sure wish I had kept my 1976 yz125....:biker:
 
Great photos. redbirds.
Really liked the Huskie's, back in the day.
I was a little young for a Huskie, rode a Honda S90 on the trails, LOL
BTW, what camera geat did you use to shot that? I have some old Nikon's that I shot "film" with from time to time.
TINK
photosbytink.com
 
Lol..rode a 450 Maico around in a big field one time. can't believe anyone raced one of them on a closed course.
 
Thread starter
TINK_imp said:
Great photos. redbirds.
Really liked the Huskie's, back in the day.
I was a little young for a Huskie, rode a Honda S90 on the trails, LOL
BTW, what camera geat did you use to shot that? I have some old Nikon's that I shot "film" with from time to time.
TINK
photosbytink.com
Had a Nikon F2, a Nikkormat and a Mamiya/Secor back then. These were most likely shot with the Nikon and a Vivatar lens on ecktachrome 64 slide film. I would shoot pics at the races and sell prints to the competitors at later races. Made a little pocket money on it.
 
Thread starter
Lot of guys rode Bultacos and Montessas back then. They handled good and were fast enough but a little fragile I think. Most terrifying motocross bike I ever rode was the first open class Suzuki 400. Very fast with some nasty handling traits.

My little brother raced a Honda SL100 that we had modified with a larger carb, cam and megaphone exhaust. The front wheel off an SL125 and longer shocks for the rear. He would still get badly beaten on the starts by the faster two stroke 100's, especially the Hodakas but he was often first by race end. Had a room full of trophies won on that little bike.

In our area there were classes for 100, 125, 175, 250 and unlimited class back then and there was a fellow who raced the 175 class on a modified CL175. He was good to and great fun to watch as he threw that ungainly bike around with astonishing speed.

I miss those days.
Cool picture Ferret. I was never fast enough to race but I did enjoy riding these bikes with friends who did. I was always last.
 
Nice. I have an F3 and a bunch of prim Nikkor lenses from the 60' and 70's. Back then Nikon was way to expensive for a kid like me. Now the old Nikon gear is pennies on the dollar.
TINK

redbirds_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
Great photos. redbirds.
Really liked the Huskie's, back in the day.
I was a little young for a Huskie, rode a Honda S90 on the trails, LOL
BTW, what camera geat did you use to shot that? I have some old Nikon's that I shot "film" with from time to time.
TINK
photosbytink.com
Had a Nikon F2, a Nikkormat and a Mamiya/Secor back then. These were most likely shot with the Nikon and a Vivatar lens on ecktachrome 64 slide film. I would shoot pics at the races and sell prints to the competitors at later races. Made a little pocket money on it.
Had a Nikon F2, a Nikkormat and a Mamiya/Secor back then. These were most likely shot with the Nikon and a Vivatar lens on ecktachrome 64 slide film. I would shoot pics at the races and sell prints to the competitors at later races. Made a little pocket money on it.
 
Fantastic photos. Thanks.
 
This thread brings back many memories. I remember racing at tracks all over Georgia back in the day. The very first race I ever entered was on a Honda XL 250 stripped to nothing. Then we started running Elsinores and Suzuki TM' s then on to RM' s. I remember a race at Burn't Hickory where Bob "Hurricane" Hannah and Marty Smith battled back & forth for 45 minutes with Hannah taking the win. One of the highlights of my MX days was spending a week at Suzuki School of Motocross in Carlsbad California in 1974 riding with Danny LaPorte and Mark Blackwell. Good times!
 
powerdogg11_imp said:
This thread brings back many memories. I remember racing at tracks all over Georgia back in the day. The very first race I ever entered was on a Honda XL 250 stripped to nothing. Then we started running Elsinores and Suzuki TM' s then on to RM' s. I remember a race at Burn't Hickory where Bob "Hurricane" Hannah and Marty Smith battled back & forth for 45 minutes with Hannah taking the win. One of the highlights of my MX days was spending a week at Suzuki School of Motocross in Carlsbad California in 1974 riding with Danny LaPorte and Mark Blackwell. Good times!

I went to the Yamaha version of that with Pierre Karsmakers, Tim Hart and Mike Hartwig


OldF7Guy_imp said:

It's important for a dealer to make a profit. That's how he keeps the doors open, hires good mechanics and parts people and stocks the showroom and the parts shelves. i could probably fond some things cheaper on the internet, but I appreciate what Tom has invested and the risk he is taking, so I try and give him my business when I can.

Tom and I have remained friends. Every Christmas he invites a bunch of us old racers and good customers to his house for a a big Christmas party and we all get together and bench race. We seem to get faster every year.
 
The ferret_imp said:
powerdogg11_imp said:
This thread brings back many memories. I remember racing at tracks all over Georgia back in the day. The very first race I ever entered was on a Honda XL 250 stripped to nothing. Then we started running Elsinores and Suzuki TM' s then on to RM' s. I remember a race at Burn't Hickory where Bob "Hurricane" Hannah and Marty Smith battled back & forth for 45 minutes with Hannah taking the win. One of the highlights of my MX days was spending a week at Suzuki School of Motocross in Carlsbad California in 1974 riding with Danny LaPorte and Mark Blackwell. Good times!

I went to the Yamaha version of that with Pierre Karsmakers, Tim Hart and Mike Hartwig


OldF7Guy_imp said:

It's important for a dealer to make a profit. That's how he keeps the doors open, hires good mechanics and parts people and stocks the showroom and the parts shelves. i could probably fond some things cheaper on the internet, but I appreciate what Tom has invested and the risk he is taking, so I try and give him my business when I can.

Tom and I have remained friends. Every Christmas he invites a bunch of us old racers and good customers to his house for a a big Christmas party and we all get together and bench race. We seem to get faster every year.


I went to the Yamaha version of that with Pierre Karsmakers, Tim Hart and Mike Hartwig

I remember reading about those guys in Motocross Action magazine.
Back then we lived for Sunday's at the track. My Dad/mechanic loved bikes and racing. This conversation has me thinking about him. He passed away over 30 years ago. The best friend I ever had.
OldF7Guy_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wow, that is impressive Ferret. I didnt know you had a wild side. I never raced but we jumped, popped wheelies and did all kinds of foolish stuff on what we called enduros back in the day. Its really cool that guy leading owns a dealership today. I bet that was a lot of fun.

Its good you have a good relationship with them also. I cant find middle ground and have accepted that it will never happen. I am an internet shopper and value to me means the low price period. No games, no BS, and cut and dried out the door. Its just the way I am.

I think its great you have a good relationship with the dealer you raced against. That is really cool.
It's important for a dealer to make a profit. That's how he keeps the doors open, hires good mechanics and parts people and stocks the showroom and the parts shelves. i could probably fond some things cheaper on the internet, but I appreciate what Tom has invested and the risk he is taking, so I try and give him my business when I can.

Tom and I have remained friends. Every Christmas he invites a bunch of us old racers and good customers to his house for a a big Christmas party and we all get together and bench race. We seem to get faster every year.
 
Back
Top