Moto head on collision

Holy mackerel that looks gruesome. Looks like everybody survived though. The Harley riders helmet probably saved his life as he hit his head hard.

Chip
 
I've seen this before and found some of the comments interesting. Some said that the Harley rider should have taken evasive action. But it looks to me like he was almost stopped by the time of the collision because his bike is fully upright, even though it is in the curve. And his passenger seems to fly straight back upon impact. Anyhow, I hope they were all okay.

Something I read a while back has helped me in these situations. The bike is better than I am. That is, it can handle moves that I don't have the guts for. When I find myself a bit too hot into a corner, I remember this and just counter-steer harder and hang on. So far, the bike hasn't flinched. But I also try hard not to get into that situation :thumbsup:
 
both riders were target fixated - looking directly into one anothers eyes

harley rider did not attempt any evasive action - there was plenty of pavement to his right

both riders locked their front wheels

'the dragon' lol

it is not a racetrack

and there are so many who reject the racetrack but have no problem with the dragon lol

certainly hope no one was injured seriously here
 
I just hope if I ever go down, it's my fault and not a freak of nature (deer, tree, etc) or someone else's fault (left turn, left of center, etc).

Won't change the outcome, but I'd be more at peace with it.
 
redbirds_imp said:
The "Dragon" is a road that I won't ride again. Too many blind corners and too many bike and car drivers pushing past their ability and wandering over the center line.

This is the reason i try to avoid those "famos Roads" or motorcycle hotspots,
i was hit by a car 4 years ago, and i don´t need that again.

Looking at the pics it´s easy to say someone should have done this or that,
this happens really fast when it happens.
 
Yep. My GUESS (and it's only speculation) is that the ST rider was not from the area, unaccustomed to riding on curvy roads, and didn't have the necessary skills to properly negotiate turns on his heavy bike. If his rear tire was squared-off from a lot of freeway riding back home ("heck, it wasn't even down to the wear bars"), that would have compounded his problems.

I've taken many organized motorcycling trips to the Alps. A common complaint of the tour guides is when "seasoned, long-time riders" from the U.S. show up and have no clue how to negotiate curves or ride briskly on mountain roads, because their riding experience is mostly from trawling U.S. interstates on a Goldwing. The extent of their experience leaning the bike is on freeway off-ramps. They invariably hold up the group due to inadequate riding skills, and occasionally crash. You can tell they're in trouble when they first leave the hotel -- they ride Fred Flintstone style, with their feet off the pegs, as they leave the parking lot.
 
So, the section of US129 called "The Dragon" has about 30,000 vehicles travel over it per month. Motorcycle crashes in the peak months average about 18/month, but the month to month number varies a lot, so let's use the highest monthly number I could find, 30. Now, 1 motorcycle accident per day over any 11 mile stretch is a lot, but the likelihood that an individual rider traveling through this 11 mile stretch will be that one is tiny and that's using the highest monthly crash number and lowest average number of vehicles that I could find. A rider's chance of being in a crash there is really very small. It is reasonable to assume that a rider who stays in his lane, is reasonable experienced, and obeys something close to the posted speed limit reduce their chances of a crash even further.

I believe that there are, indeed, many who treat this road as a race track. I do not know that those people "reject the racetrack"; cannot find any statistics on that. However, if you do not treat it like a racetrack, you will have a fun, challenging, and safe ride over an incredible length of US highway.

I preferred NC28 and Cherohala for the scenery, but I loved "The Dragon" for its the rhythm of its layout.
 
There is a very long on-going thread at ADVrider forum, Killboy Dragon failure in the Perfect Line section, that is full of reminders why avoiding roads that have Tshirts named after them is a good idea.
That picture in particular featured prominently recently, the series of shots was shown and the ST rider made some comments.
Lots of gruesome photos and some plain lousy riding shots featured. The "other guy" is dangerous!
Check out the lack of safety gear in most of the photos.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
So, the section of US129 called "The Dragon" has about 30,000 vehicles travel over it per month. Motorcycle crashes in the peak months average about 18/month, but the month to month number varies a lot, so let's use the highest monthly number I could find, 30. Now, 1 motorcycle accident per day over any 11 mile stretch is a lot, but the likelihood that an individual rider traveling through this 11 mile stretch will be that one is tiny and that's using the highest monthly crash number and lowest average number of vehicles that I could find. A rider's chance of being in a crash there is really very small. It is reasonable to assume that a rider who stays in his lane, is reasonable experienced, and obeys something close to the posted speed limit reduce their chances of a crash even further.

I believe that there are, indeed, many who treat this road as a race track. I do not know that those people "reject the racetrack"; cannot find any statistics on that. However, if you do not treat it like a racetrack, you will have a fun, challenging, and safe ride over an incredible length of US highway.

I preferred NC28 and Cherohala for the scenery, but I loved "The Dragon" for its the rhythm of its layout.
I agree, and statistically motorcyclists in general have a very small chance of being involved in a crash given the number of miles of highway we have in this country. And yes assuming a rider hasn't been imbibing, stays in his lane, is reasonably experienced and obeys close to the posted speed limit, that will reduce their chance significantly.

Given that, it does not make a good argument for ATGATT, yet we preach it all the time. Wearing an approved helmet increases the chances that if you are that unlucky 1, that you will survive, but certainly doesn't guarantee it.

Fate
 
Unless I'm misreading your comment about ATGATT, and I think I am, I disagree with it. Presumably, the Harley ride was sober, staying within the speed limit, staying in his lane, etc., but was still involved in an accident through no fault of his own. ATGATT would have probably made his day a bit less painful. So, while I completely agree about riding sober, staying within the speed limit, possessing sufficient riding skills, etc. as a prudent way to reduce the likelihood of causing an accident, there's always the "other guy" who might get you. That's why you need ATGATT.
 
Seems to be two frequent themes repeated in the online crash photos - riders in over their head and all too frequently someone in the wrong lane, maybe that's just one theme.
 
I like the t-shirt naming caution, but I would change "avoiding" to "approaching with caution". I'd be interested in seeing what the ST rider had to say about the crash.

My point in my last post was that the perils of riding on The Dragon are often overstated. People need to recognize the dangers, but not be preoccupied by them. Like riding in general, one ought not to do it if it terrifies. If you ride your ride, and if that ride is a safe one, the probability of a crash is infinitesimally small. oh, and it's a fun ride, too.

I suspect that Ferret was just pointing out that because of the minimal chance of a crash, a person could ride for his whole life without ever having to take advantage of the protective gear. True enough, but I'm more inclined to try to dress for the possibility of a crash than to not. As you will read in my next Seat Time installment, I have made the choice of comfort over safety on occasion and my rationale was that the chances of having a crash in the time span and distance of my ride was tiny. I gambled and won that time. It will be a while before I take that same bet again, though.
 
I think you could pick out "any" 11 miles of the Cherohala or the BRP and the stats would make the 11 mile stretch of US 129 aka the Dragon seem like a blood bath in comparison. On the Dragon, even though as MTC pointed out statistically I would have a very small chance of something happening, I want to be wearing protective gear head to toe and I do every time I ride it. On the Cherahola or BRP I would find just wearing a helmet an acceptable risk. YMMV

I would never discourage someone from wearing gear (personal choice and all) and there are certain places is in this country where I would never consider NOT wearing full gear including a Hi Viz vest (mostly major cities...freeways etc). Where I live just doesn't happen to be one of them, and maybe geography accounts for how paranoid people get which shapes their opinions about gear. I live in a relatively safe place to ride a motorcycle. Out in the country, not much traffic, not many intersections or stop lights, relatively slow speed limits. I don't drink, I am a very experienced and confident rider, I stay in my lane, I don't tailgate, I don't speed more than +5. I will venture forth (as my wife and I did yesterday and today) with helmets as our only protective gear because that is the one piece of gear designed to save my life in an accident in the statistically small chance that one would happen (well I had boots on as well, but only because they make me taller, therefore easier to reach the ground, and it's easier on my toe to upshift in them than gym shoes). I weigh the risks and ride within my comfort zone. Maybe you only feel comfortable when totally geared up, and that's fine. I felt quite at ease riding as I did today.
 
so just rode to the cigar shop. 3 miles by car. 10 miles by motorcycle. Boots, gloves, helmet, jeans, work shirt. Taking the chance that I just said would be a long time coming. I assure you that I would not take that same chance on 10 miles of US129, even if it was 100 degrees in the shade.
 
This just happened this morning on one of our local riding roads straight and generally non-s ketch stretch of road -- the sneaker on the road speaks to the gear the rider was wearing.



I'd personally never take the chance and usually have at least riding jeans, a full-face and an armoured jacket. To each his/her own though... Thankfully, this person survived with what could be considered minor injuries given the circumstances and severity (Air Ambulance with broken ribs and 2 broken arms).
 
really that's all he got out of that? Lucky lucky fellow. That looks nasty. That car is crunched and the bike blown up
 
Back
Top