Moto Disconnection Disorder

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
So here's the deal: My CB1100 has pretty much been doing nothing but sitting in my garage for months now. After returning to riding over 10 years ago, this year I've hardly ridden at all. I've pretty much stopped commuting by bike. After a switch to a different work location, none of the current route options appeal to me very much — my commute now takes me through the heart of Portland's ever increasing traffic congestion and is a real nightmare. In addition, the sports car acquired over the summer has pretty much taken over as the weekend vehicle. For the time being it would appear that I've seemingly lost my interest in riding. If I had to sum this up quickly I might just call it moto disconnection disorder. Please note that this is not meant to make light of any actual health disorders anyone reading this might be experiencing.

Initially, this disconnect began with some issues I was experiencing with my eyes that had me spending far less time riding (in addition to the changes to the commute mentioned above). Later I experienced some improvement with my eyes but then we got the car. The "new toy" received most of my vehicular attention. Not exactly surprising at first I suppose, but this has now gone on throughout the entire summer into fall. Part of the attraction here is that the car is a shared experience for my wife and I (there is no way she is getting on a motorcycle, but she does enjoy the car). Some of it might have to do with my overall mental state as I've pretty much stopped fishing as well (the other passion that has always eaten into my riding time). Even though I never racked up the miles like many of you here on the forum (The ferret has surely accumulated more miles on his CBs than I have on all of my vehicles combined over the past few years), riding was still something that I enjoyed. That was probably my biggest reason for choosing to commute by motorcycle. When I was commuting by bike I probably rode somewhere around 200 days a year.

I know that plenty of people grow tired of their motorcycles, but that's typically because they are wanting to replace them with other motorcycles, lol. I also realize that a lot of people are forced to give up riding at some point in their life for a variety of reasons. That's just not the case with me. Right now I figure I'll just see how things play out over time. I understand that all of this probably sounds pretty strange to most of you, especially coming from the guy who started a motorcycle forum. While I'm doubtful that this will strike a chord with very many people here, if any of you have experienced similar "moto disconnects" of your own at one time or another then I would like to hear your story.
 
I spent very little time on two wheels for a while about ten years ago, but that was following a crash on the freeway that shook me up some. I also rode a lot less the first year I owned my Mazda MX5. I was having lots of fun with the top down. I think it's normal to go through phases when you ride less, for various reasons. It's life. I wouldn't worry about it much.
 
Guth, I can relate. There is some incredible riding just out my back door, but I've ridden everything within a 300 mile radius of here so many times that sometimes I need to find an excuse to go for a ride. Folks who don't have the Rockies at their beck and call may think I'm nuts, but some days I find myself getting bored with riding. But after it has snowed for eight months straight and I have forgetten how to ride, the thril and excitement comes roaring back.
 
Guth, that was hard to read and had to even harder for you to think about and write.

I understand exactly. I had a similar disconnect with archery and bowhunting (my other major passion). For 35 years I spent as much time doing that, as I did motorcycling...maybe more. I won literally hundreds of archery tournaments. I hunted all over this country, Alaska and Canada. I was sponsored by bow companies, and arrow companies, and clothing, and call, and lure companies. I had a monthly column in the newspaper, I wrote for several national magazines and co-authored a book. I was an Associate Editor for Primitve Archer Magazine for more than two decades. I was a recognized bowyer (bow maker) and arrowsmith (arrow maker) with several inventions in those fields, and was sought out as a event speaker, and trick shooter. I also moderated an immensley popular bowhunting website. I have a trophy room that looks like the inside of a Cabelas store with closed to 100 mounted animals of a dozen different species, a couple some of the largest of their species ever taken. I have collections of bows going back to the mid 1800s, arrows same vintage, arrow heads going back to the beginning of the bronze age, first edition books. I say these things not to brag, but to illustrate just how much a part of my life that was.

Then suddenly over a very short time frame, I lost almost all interest. I had had enough. I quit all of it. Quit making bows, quit making arrows, quit writing, quit public speaking, quit even visiting the website, and except for hunting once or twice a year with my son, I no longer hunt, and haven't shot an animal in a few years. I rarely even think about it anymore. Oddly my wife and I have been cleaning up downstairs this week, packing up stuff in containers and labeling them, and talking about going to one more archery event so I can sell or give the stuff away. Anybody want to buy about 100 bows, 500 arrows, a dozen really old books, or 100 stuffed animals? PM me. I've already thrown away 200 tournament trophies. Garbage man couldn't believe it. Lol

The point is, sometimes our interests and priorities just change, whether we want them to or not. Now, I can't imagine ever giving up motorcycles or riding. Just can't. But I would never have imagined givng up archery either. But it happened. I'm not going to get rid of everything, just most of it. I'll save some stuff in case the interest comes back.

And in a long winded way, that's what I'm saying to you. Let the CB sit until you are ready to get back on it, or are darn sure, that you never want to get on it again.

And if I may ask, what does this mean for the forum?
 
Agree with the Ferret. Life ebbs and flows and different things interest you at different times. I didn't ride for 15 years, but then got back into it! Only advice I will give is hang on to CB until you are sure you are not coming back. I have a 1983 V45 Interceptor that I kept all those years and thankful that I still have it. Just make sure you preserve it!!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Guth, that was hard to read and had to even harder for you to think about and write.

I understand exactly. I had a similar disconnect with archery and bowhunting (my other major passion). For 35 years I spent as much time doing that, as I did motorcycling...maybe more. I won literally hundreds of archery tournaments. I hunted all over this country, Alaska and Canada. I was sponsored by bow companies, and arrow companies, and clothing, and call, and lure companies. I had a monthly column in the newspaper, I wrote for several national magazines and co-authored a book. I was an Associate Editor for Primitve Archer Magazine for more than two decades. I was a recognized bowyer (bow maker) and arrowsmith (arrow maker) with several inventions in those fields, and was sought out as a event speaker, and trick shooter. I also moderated an immensley popular bowhunting website. I have a trophy room that looks like the inside of a Cabelas store with closed to 100 mounted animals of a dozen different species, a couple some of the largest of their species ever taken. I have collections of bows going back to the mid 1800s, arrows same vintage, arrow heads going back to the beginning of the bronze age, first edition books. I say these things not to brag, but to illustrate just how much a part of my life that was.

Then suddenly over a very short time frame, I lost almost all interest. I had had enough. I quit all of it. Quit making bows, quit making arrows, quit writing, quit public speaking, quit even visiting the website, and except for hunting once or twice a year with my son, I no longer hunt, and haven't shot an animal in a few years. I rarely even think about it anymore. Oddly my wife and I have been cleaning up downstairs this week, packing up stuff in containers and labeling them, and talking about going to one more archery event so I can sell or give the stuff away. Anybody want to buy about 100 bows, 500 arrows, a dozen really old books, or 100 stuffed animals? PM me. I've already thrown away 200 tournament trophies. Garbage man couldn't believe it. Lol

The point is, sometimes our interests and priorities just change, whether we want them to or not. Now, I can't imagine ever giving up motorcycles or riding. Just can't. But I would never have imagined givng up archery either. But it happened. I'm not going to get rid of everything, just most of it. I'll save some stuff in case the interest comes back.

And in a long winded way, that's what I'm saying to you. Let the CB sit until you are ready to get back on it, or are darn sure, that you never want to get on it again.

And if I may ask, what does this mean for the forum?
Good question, and something I probably should have addressed in my initial post. Right now, and for the foreseeable future, I'd say that this means nothing for the forum. Were something happening that I did feel would impact the forum I'd be contacting yourself and Cormanus directly to figure out a plan of action.

I did think it worth explaining my declining participation here. While I toiled a bit with what to say, I'm not so much "worried" about things with me as much as I'm feeling a bit guilty when it comes to yourself and Cormanus. While I continue to keep the lights on around here behind the scenes, it is the participation of the two of you that ensures this forum remains a sane place of civil moto discourse that most of us enjoy. I can't thank you guys enough.

I won't be getting rid of the CB anytime soon. I truly appreciate everyones input. It's reminded me that I do have at least one other thing in my life in which my interest in tends to wax and wane a bit to the extreme: my guitar playing which has been a part of my existence now for 40 years or so with no end in site. There have been a number of extended periods of time where I just stopped playing for no particular reason at all. Only to pick it up again at some point later on. So it might be with riding.
 
I've had three clear 'moto cycles' in my life. The first was as a teenager when I owned my first motorcycle and rode everywhere, everyday. Eventually I got knocked off it by someone turning right from a left-hand lane and spent 7 months in a plaster cast. The bike and its rider repaired, I got back in the saddle until, after a time, I realised I'd lost my nerve. That combined with weather and girls meant a car was the order of the day. I couldn't afford both so the bike went.

Cycle two came some years later when my wife and I couldn't afford a second car and I really needed a vehicle to commute, so I bought a scooter. Marvellous fun. No real power, but it could play in the traffic and got wonderful fuel economy. I rode it for a couple of years until I started to believe the day when I'd get knocked off it was getting ever closer. I could afford a cheap second car so the bike went.

Cycle 3 came nearly 7 years ago and much of what has happened since is recored here, although it is fair to say that my seat time is reduced since moving back to the city a little over a year ago. Living in a rural environment with good roads outside the door is an incentive to ride, although I can relate to Long Ranger's view that it can be hard to find motivation to ride familiar roads, even if they're marvellous. Some of the joy of motorcycling—for me, anyway—is exploring.

So, Guth, your shift in interest is entirely understandable. If you can afford to keep the bike, I, too, would say keep it until either you're sure you don't want to ride again or guilt about not using it starts nagging.

As to the forum, this is a great group of guys (sadly not enough women) and they place few demands on the moderators. Don't feel guilty about your declining participation. It's all good here in the office!
 
I started riding a motorcycle when I was a small child, probably 6-7 years old. Little honda 50 dirtbike.

I have had extended periods of intense love for both motorcycles and cars in my life. I have spent over $100,000 on both combined after all costs I am sure. I have had periods where I have owned 4 cars and 4 motorcycles at the same time.

That being said, priorities and focus do change. I have had years where I don't touch a bike whatsoever, and years where I don't touch a car other than my work car. For example- when I bought my first house and then started my business about a year later. Much to the dismay of my wife- I tend to keep the other bikes and cars sitting in some sort of hope of using them again. I did sell my heavily modified awesome quad to partially fund the business though. I miss it.

I am actually currently in a stage of not using many of my play cars much, and have a few dirtbikes and a ZRX1200R that I haven't touched in years. I don't use my CB anywhere near as much as I would like to- but that is because I don't really have anywhere to go and very few people I know ride- and those that do are also busy with their own live's, wife's, businesses...

I also have realized that something inside me enjoys modifying my vehicles to see what I can do with them, regardless of if I actually use them afterward.

I do truly enjoy the ride on my bikes and cars when I use them. But one of my big enjoyments (and time sucks) of the past 2+ years has been metal detecting. Talk about addicting...WHOA>>> I try to get out as much as possible.

-Once winter hits, I am also going to take blacksmith classes. I have been watching a show called forged in fire recently and I dig it.
 
Guth_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Guth, that was hard to read and had to even harder for you to think about and write.

I understand exactly. I had a similar disconnect with archery and bowhunting (my other major passion). For 35 years I spent as much time doing that, as I did motorcycling...maybe more. I won literally hundreds of archery tournaments. I hunted all over this country, Alaska and Canada. I was sponsored by bow companies, and arrow companies, and clothing, and call, and lure companies. I had a monthly column in the newspaper, I wrote for several national magazines and co-authored a book. I was an Associate Editor for Primitve Archer Magazine for more than two decades. I was a recognized bowyer (bow maker) and arrowsmith (arrow maker) with several inventions in those fields, and was sought out as a event speaker, and trick shooter. I also moderated an immensley popular bowhunting website. I have a trophy room that looks like the inside of a Cabelas store with closed to 100 mounted animals of a dozen different species, a couple some of the largest of their species ever taken. I have collections of bows going back to the mid 1800s, arrows same vintage, arrow heads going back to the beginning of the bronze age, first edition books. I say these things not to brag, but to illustrate just how much a part of my life that was.

Then suddenly over a very short time frame, I lost almost all interest. I had had enough. I quit all of it. Quit making bows, quit making arrows, quit writing, quit public speaking, quit even visiting the website, and except for hunting once or twice a year with my son, I no longer hunt, and haven't shot an animal in a few years. I rarely even think about it anymore. Oddly my wife and I have been cleaning up downstairs this week, packing up stuff in containers and labeling them, and talking about going to one more archery event so I can sell or give the stuff away. Anybody want to buy about 100 bows, 500 arrows, a dozen really old books, or 100 stuffed animals? PM me. I've already thrown away 200 tournament trophies. Garbage man couldn't believe it. Lol

The point is, sometimes our interests and priorities just change, whether we want them to or not. Now, I can't imagine ever giving up motorcycles or riding. Just can't. But I would never have imagined givng up archery either. But it happened. I'm not going to get rid of everything, just most of it. I'll save some stuff in case the interest comes back.

And in a long winded way, that's what I'm saying to you. Let the CB sit until you are ready to get back on it, or are darn sure, that you never want to get on it again.

And if I may ask, what does this mean for the forum?
Good question, and something I probably should have addressed in my initial post. Right now, and for the foreseeable future, I'd say that this means nothing for the forum. Were something happening that I did feel would impact the forum I'd be contacting yourself and Cormanus directly to figure out a plan of action.

I did think it worth explaining my declining participation here. While I toiled a bit with what to say, I'm not so much "worried" about things with me as much as I'm feeling a bit guilty when it comes to yourself and Cormanus. While I continue to keep the lights on around here behind the scenes, it is the participation of the two of you that ensures this forum remains a sane place of civil moto discourse that most of us enjoy. I can't thank you guys enough.

I won't be getting rid of the CB anytime soon. I truly appreciate everyones input. It's reminded me that I do have at least one other thing in my life in which my interest in tends to wax and wane a bit to the extreme: my guitar playing which has been a part of my existence now for 40 years or so with no end in site. There have been a number of extended periods of time where I just stopped playing for no particular reason at all. Only to pick it up again at some point later on. So it might be with riding.

I totally agree with your gratitude. Cormanus and Ferret make the forum happen and running it as a peaceful place. I'm thankful for it too and appreciate it.

To play the guitar or any other instrument is a life long process and very time consuming. I live as a musician and know what I'm writing about. Once you've reached a certain standard, it's no easy way to keep it or even progress from it. For some time you can lean on the things you have practiced for so long, but you have to practice again and again.... a never ending story. I try to combine it with my interest and longing to spend some time with and on my motorbikes. There is a way and it reflects somehow in the way I play music, because everything is connected with everything. As soon as I would quit riding motorbikes, I maybe will forget it after a while, but I will miss it, I do it for so long, it is so to say implanted in me.

Wisedrum
 
I have always loved boats. Had an uncle who loved sailing and I used to visit and help him sail in the summertime. Narragansett Bay, Block Island, Martha's Vineyard, Maine, etc.
After we were married, my wife and I moved back to Rhode Island and we ended up sailing two Bermuda Races and lived aboard the boat, a Swan 48, for three years. Operated it for charter in the Lesser Antilles and absolutely lived the dream.
We decided if we were going to live a "real" life we needed to get back on dry land and get a degree or a trade, and ended up back in northern California.
We started sailing small boats and ended up with a Thistle, a high performance three person dinghy, also an excellent daysailor. Participated nearly every weekend in a local event, went to Nationals at Flathead Lake in Montana and sailed San Francisco and Monterey Bays.
We got lucky late in life and were blessed with a son when we were 40. I sold my Yamaha XS11 because it wasn't a 3 person activity, and my son never really liked sailing. We started going to watch him play sports and all of a sudden it has been years since I have been sailing. Still get out on the water in a motorboat to fish.
One of the reasons for the motorcycle was to have an activity I could do without rounding up a crew or prepping extensively.
The first time the Thistle has been out of the garage in ten years was to make room for the CB. I really need to sell it.
Anyway, as someone once said, life is what happens while you are making other plans.
Thanks for your service, Guth, and know you have friends out here you have never met who wish you well whatever the future may bring.

Ben
 
It happens, Guth. But you need to give it a little time. I've found that, approaching 60 years of age, I am 'throwing back the little ones.' In other words, eliminating things from my life that I find to be cluttering up my ability to enjoy the real passions and people that matter.

Over the last year, I started to sour on what was a big part of my motorbike thing...collecting, maintaining, and wrenching old bikes. Just slowly, and almost completely, lost interest in it. Started contemplating selling them off, and I'm not certain that won't happen yet. But I'm taking some time to let the thoughts marinate a bit. And as to your CB, or motorcycling in general, you may want to see if the feeing passes.

If you can afford to, maybe even mothball the CB for 6 months. Prep it, cover it, keep it on a tender, drop the insurance. See how you feel in 2018.

Sports cars are cool, so are bikes, you'll be in good shape no matter what.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Fascinating topic. You can do a search over "losing interest in things I once loved" and find articles, blogs and such over the topic. Lots of them point to depression, but some say normal life swings. A therapist friend of mine and I are of the same age- 54--and he told me there's a chemical / hormone thing we (men?) lose as we age and it has to deal with motivation (it wasn't testosterone). But I can't remember the name.

I think if you leave off one thing and develop others you're fine. But if you start losing interest in all activities that use to interest you, that might be a cause for concern.
 
Thread starter
Such thoughtful responses — it's always nice to be reminded of what a great group of folks this place has attracted. Very much appreciated guys.
 
Guth_imp said:
Such thoughtful responses — it's always nice to be reminded of what a great group of folks this place has attracted. Very much appreciated guys.
Maybe the issue is that you use the bike for commuting and that's not fun. This evening I rode Marine Drive along the Columbia, from about 40th east to 223rd to get back to Gresham...you know the ride...sun setting, Columbia river, sailboats, open, blue sky, Mt hood in the distance. Maybe a ride like that a few times a month is all you need. If I had to commute on my CB1100 with lots of traffic, maybe I grow tired of it. Probably more the commute than the riding itself.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Guth, that was hard to read and had to even harder for you to think about and write.

I understand exactly. I had a similar disconnect with archery and bowhunting (my other major passion). For 35 years I spent as much time doing that, as I did motorcycling...maybe more. I won literally hundreds of archery tournaments. I hunted all over this country, Alaska and Canada. I was sponsored by bow companies, and arrow companies, and clothing, and call, and lure companies. I had a monthly column in the newspaper, I wrote for several national magazines and co-authored a book. I was an Associate Editor for Primitve Archer Magazine for more than two decades. I was a recognized bowyer (bow maker) and arrowsmith (arrow maker) with several inventions in those fields, and was sought out as a event speaker, and trick shooter. I also moderated an immensley popular bowhunting website. I have a trophy room that looks like the inside of a Cabelas store with closed to 100 mounted animals of a dozen different species, a couple some of the largest of their species ever taken. I have collections of bows going back to the mid 1800s, arrows same vintage, arrow heads going back to the beginning of the bronze age, first edition books. I say these things not to brag, but to illustrate just how much a part of my life that was.

Then suddenly over a very short time frame, I lost almost all interest. I had had enough. I quit all of it. Quit making bows, quit making arrows, quit writing, quit public speaking, quit even visiting the website, and except for hunting once or twice a year with my son, I no longer hunt, and haven't shot an animal in a few years. I rarely even think about it anymore. Oddly my wife and I have been cleaning up downstairs this week, packing up stuff in containers and labeling them, and talking about going to one more archery event so I can sell or give the stuff away. Anybody want to buy about 100 bows, 500 arrows, a dozen really old books, or 100 stuffed animals? PM me. I've already thrown away 200 tournament trophies. Garbage man couldn't believe it. Lol

The point is, sometimes our interests and priorities just change, whether we want them to or not. Now, I can't imagine ever giving up motorcycles or riding. Just can't. But I would never have imagined givng up archery either. But it happened. I'm not going to get rid of everything, just most of it. I'll save some stuff in case the interest comes back.

And in a long winded way, that's what I'm saying to you. Let the CB sit until you are ready to get back on it, or are darn sure, that you never want to get on it again.

And if I may ask, what does this mean for the forum?
Sure I'll take a 400 inch elk
to go along with my 325 incher
 
How about a 206" whitetail? Or a 184 pound 8'9" cougar?
 
On a similar note : I collected toy tractors (Ferguson and Massey Ferguson ) for over 20 years and ended up with well over 800 pieces and about $ 60.000 invested.
When I retired there was less money in the "toy box" and as riding a motor cycle is an active hobby and collecting things is an more inactive pleasure I decide to sell all the tractors and just have the motor cycle hobby.
I still love riding even after 50 years owning bikes.
 
From the time I was 20 motorcycles were my passion and my social life. In the 60s I built a café racer from the ground up. In the late 70s took a 1972 BSA Lightning completely apart and restored it. In the early 80s was the president of a 150 member Touring Club. But later when my wife lost interest in motorcycling and I became involved in beer league sports, I stopped riding after 23 years in the saddle. Life's priorities change.

For 25 years I never gave motorcycling a thought. But after attending a vintage motorcycle rally with a friend, the buzz came back. Bought a Honda CB500XA for my 68th birthday and put 33,000 kilometers on it over 3 summers.

As my wife was not interested in motorcycling and all the biker friends I had known decades ago had stopped riding, I became a lone wolf. I do chew the fat with other bikers when stopped for gas or food, but prefer to ride alone.

Once a week I ride the back roads from 8 in the morning to 5 at night. While I still sweep through the corners, I really find getting away from the city therapeutic. The smell of the pine forests, sparkle of the sun on pristine lakes, and ever changing scenery just fill a void and put me at ease.
 
Back
Top