More bad news medically

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
I have been functioning with torn meniscus in both knees for about a year now. Went it first happened, I refused surgery and went with cortisone shots instead, which made them feel normal again. Friday afternoon, the right one let go again. So painful. Can't walk, can't sleep. Every time I get up or down out of a chair it feels like a bear trap snapped on my knee. On a scale of 1-10 just sitting around is about a 6 or 7. If i try and get up, or roll over in bed, it shoots straight to an 11.

Monday I will call the ortho doc and discuss options, but as of now doesn't look like I will be riding for awhile.
 
It is very sad to hear this. We all know how much you love to ride! I've had several close friends go through with the surgery. It is a very difficult undertaking however, everyone has been satisfied with the results. My heart and prayers go out to you. May the 4th be with you!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
+1 on being satisfied with the results, hope you are not suffering too much in the meantime. Knees can be rough!
Best of luck with it.

Ben
 
Crap - so sorry to read of your impediment Ferret. Redirect your riding energies for now and consider the options that are most important to you. Best regards.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys.

Im hoping he will go with another cortisone shot for now and schedule surgery for winter. i could stand to take a winter off lol.
 
Very sorry to hear about this, Mickey. :( I've been dealing with torn cartilage in both knees since I was in my teens (one from football, one from a motorcycle crash).

Besides the general daily pain and odd noises I've been lucky to only have a few flare ups over the decades. It's usually the result of a piece of the torn cartilage migrating to somewhere where it's not supposed to be.

Back in the late 80s I had one of these and the doc went in with an arthroscope and cleaned it up, while leaving as much of the meniscus as possible intact. There was an option for total removal of the meniscus, but that didn't seem like a good long term solution, as (in my view) having part of the meniscus was better than none, to keep bones from grinding together.

Nowadays they've got some pretty good techniques for repairing tears and most are minimally invasive. There's even an option for transplanting a new meniscus if yours is too badly damaged to fix.

Hopefully, you can get this repaired and get back on the road in short order.
 
Thread starter
Yea, baseball, football, basketball, cross country running, motorcycle riding and racing have not been good for a lot of my joints lol.

I wonder if nerds have these issues? Lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yea, baseball, football, basketball, cross country running, motorcycle riding and racing have not been good for a lot of my joints lol.

I wonder if nerds have these issues? Lol
Heh, heh, I think nerds have their own class of issues. For one: They seldom get sunshine. But I'll cap it at that. lol Otherwise, it could derail the thread big time.
 
Ferret, I am so sorry to read that you're having all these issues, especially since they interrupt with your bike riding.

Fingers crossed that another round of cortisone shots can get you through this riding season, and into the fall/winter when you can perhaps have surgery and time for recovery.

Best wishes to a fellow Ohioan, from Bob, NE Ohio (Hudson.)

Bob
 
Ferret, so sorry to hear you're in pain. Depending on the severity of your injury, hopefully your Ortho will recommend an arthroscopic procedure instead of surgery. It's much less evasive and easier to rehab. Please keep us posted.
 
When i read the title i got a bad feeling and it did not get any better reading the thread, curious me i had no idea so i googled it and yes.... Just ask the doc to check if the arrow is pointing the right way, ya never know!

All the best mate, there are some good tips here already.
 
Sorry to hear of your knee problems.

I had arthroscopic knee surgery to remove part of torn miniscus about 13 years ago. Very strange experience...minutes before I was given the anesthesia, surgeon states that the operation isn't 100% necessary, that PT could take care the issue for some time. But I went forward with the operation. I was on crutches for a day but didn't need them after that. I'd say the knee didn't feel fully stable for a full year afterwards, even though I was able to resume walking right away, then after a few weeks running, hiking, biking. The first few months, I didn't have any confidence in the knee holding up. But a little by little, it grew stronger. Now I don't ever think about it and it feels great.

But I do remember that pain you speak of...totally debilitating. I sure hope the shot can tie you over till winter so you can ride sooner rather than later.
 
I am very sorry to hear about your health problems and hope that it will be much better after whatever treatment you will receive. As always having a great surgeon is utmost important , one what has done many.
A customer a mine in Upstate NY went for a knee replacement to a local hospital and it was a disaster , later went to a top surgeon in Philadelphia and it was perfect for the rest of his long life.
 
Thread starter
Again appreciate the kind thoughts fellas. Another sleepless night. The pain is nearly unbearable at this point.
 
That’s tough Mickey! Sorry to hear about it. I’ve fought a shoulder issue for a while, but it’s nothing like you’re going through. Good luck with the doctor...
 
Ferret, I'm very sorry to read about your knee issues. I hope you find a way around the pain and get a really good treatment next winter. Wish you all the best for recovery.
 
Back
Top