Modular Helmet...

quietguy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I wear an HJC 3/4 helmet with clear face shield.

Never owned a full face unit. The ones I've tried on feel closed in, and I felt that my visibility was impaired - top to bottom and on the sides. Just didn't care for them.

I remember when I heard about the first modular helmets; I believe Nolan was the originator. Haven't tried one on, yet.

Seems the HJC product is the least expensive of the makers. I just don't feel like spending $500+.

So... for those with knowledge, experience wearing both full face and modular I'm hoping to get opinions - comfort, visibility, etc, of the modular helmets...

:thanks: in advance.
 
I have naver owned a full face but can tell you I really like my HJC IS Max modular, as well as with my 3/4 HJC FG Jet.
 
You made me go to the garage and put on the modular and then the 3/4 to compare...
;)
The only visibility difference I can discern is whatever the chin bar of the modular covers which would be very close and on the ground, which you should've seen as you approached it. Laterally both my helmets afford visibility as far as I can push my peripheral vision.

Hope this helps.
 
quietguy_imp said:
I wear an HJC 3/4 helmet with clear face shield.

Never owned a full face unit. The ones I've tried on feel closed in, and I felt that my visibility was impaired - top to bottom and on the sides. Just didn't care for them.

I remember when I heard about the first modular helmets; I believe Nolan was the originator. Haven't tried one on, yet.

Seems the HJC product is the least expensive of the makers. I just don't feel like spending $500+.

So... for those with knowledge, experience wearing both full face and modular I'm hoping to get opinions - comfort, visibility, etc, of the modular helmets...

:thanks: in advance.
Full face helmets usually fit better than a modular, they are usually lighter and quieter than a modular. Modular are easier to put on especially if you wear eye glasses. Full face helmets provide the best protection. Visibility is about the same.
 
Modular helmets are a little heavier, a bit more expensive, but for me, an essential part of my riding gear. They are easier to put on and take off (I wear glasses) and are incredibly convenient.

I've had a couple of Nolan modulars over the years, which were near pefect for me. I tried on some cheaper modulars (Speed & Strength, HJC, Scorpion) and they seemed a little, uh, flimsy. I could feel the pivot pins against my head on the S&S. So I just sprung for a Schuberth C3, and am happy with it.

No modular helmets pass the Snell tests - they feel modulars are less structurally sound. And almost anything will pass DOT. But a large proportion of Europeans use modulars, and their standards are pretty high. I'd never go back to a regular full face.
 
I wore a full face for about 30+ years and finally tried a modular about 2 years ago. Visibility is about the same as a full face. My favorite feature is being able to flip up the front at a stoplight on scorching summer days. I also wear glasses, so that's another plus.

I picked up a Bilt Apollo (Cycle Gear's house brand) which looks to be a rebranded Bell Revolver. The Bell version is $200, the Cycle Gear Apollo only cost me $100. Not the quietest helmet in the world, but it fit well and had a comfortable interior.
 
Another you might want to check out is the Shark Evoline 3 series, they are very popular. A bit pricey ($400 range) but quite unique in the way you can rotate the chin all the way to the back, and use it as a 3/4 helmet (other modulars are not meant to be ridden while open).

I have always used full face helmets only due to the superior safety they provide. I might consider a modular in the future, especially for the convenience of flipping it up to talk to someone, get petrol, take a picture, etc.
 
I have several helmets, open face, 3/4, modular and full face which I will wear depending on specific conditions.

In the summer my all time favorite is my HJC 3/4 CL-33

I wear an HJC CL Max 2 Modular a lot, especially on trips or in weather under 75 degrees

I also wear an HJC IS 16 Full face although not very often. i have noticed when I stop on it, I automatically grab for the chin bar release to lift the front, only there isn't one. Very inconvenient.

I too wear glasses and both the 3/4 and modular are much easier to use wearing glasses. I will walk into a store with the face shield raied on either without taking my helmet off to use a restroom, or pick up a snack, or a prescription even.

I also perfer dark tinted shields to clear shields or flip down internal sun shields like on the HJC IS series of helmets
 
When looking for a modular the most important thing for me is fit and comfort. I cannot wear the HJC because of my head shape. I have a Nolan and it's a bit heavier than some other modulars but it fits great and is comfortable for me even on long rides.
 
redbirds_imp said:
When looking for a modular the most important thing for me is fit and comfort. I cannot wear the HJC because of my head shape. I have a Nolan and it's a bit heavier than some other modulars but it fits great and is comfortable for me even on long rides.
Steve, was your HJC tight on the forehead ? My HJC is too tight in the forehead after a hour or so. I have a Vega Summit II modular that fits perfect, but you get what you pay for with Vega. The shield came off while riding one day, not pleased with that. I'm having a hard time finding stores around here that sell helmets besides HJC. I found a store in CT last w/e that had Shoei and Arai. The Shoei fit me like the HJC and the Arai fit well, but they don't make modular or drop down interior visor. I'm interested in how your Nolan fits.
 
That's true redbirds. Fit and comfort are the key. My son has a Bell head/Shoei head. I have an HJC head.

We all went up to Iron Pony not too long ago. A mc superstore located in Cols Ohio with an acc dept the size of your average Walmart store. 20 brands of helmets. Thousands of helmets. We tried helmets on for hours lol. Arai, Agv, Shoei, Bell, Shark, HJC, Schuberth, Biltwell, Gmax, Kbc, Nolan, Z1R etc etc. For me the HJC was always the most comfortable. None one of us could stand the fit of the most expensive helmets they had, the Schuberths. We expected them to be luxurious considering the price. But 15 seconds inside the helmet for each of us was too much. I ended up with the HJC Cl Max 2, my son ended up with a Shoei Neotech, and my brother ended up with a Shoei Qwest.
 
They are a multi line motorcycle dealer as well..Indian, Ducati, Yamaha, not sure what else. Sat on a Ducati Scrambler, and an Indian Scout last time I was there. Glad I bought a CB1100.
 
I have an HJC head too and have been wearing various HJC models for many years.
I currently have an open face IS 33 and a flip-up IS Max.
Like ferret, the more expensive helmets don't fit me well either so I stick with what works and something I can wear all day in comfort.
 
Chapomis_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
When looking for a modular the most important thing for me is fit and comfort. I cannot wear the HJC because of my head shape. I have a Nolan and it's a bit heavier than some other modulars but it fits great and is comfortable for me even on long rides.
Steve, was your HJC tight on the forehead ? My HJC is too tight in the forehead after a hour or so. I have a Vega Summit II modular that fits perfect, but you get what you pay for with Vega. The shield came off while riding one day, not pleased with that. I'm having a hard time finding stores around here that sell helmets besides HJC. I found a store in CT last w/e that had Shoei and Arai. The Shoei fit me like the HJC and the Arai fit well, but they don't make modular or drop down interior visor. I'm interested in how your Nolan fits.
That's it Alan, tight on my forehead with the HJC. The Nolan fits me like a glove with no tight spots. I special ordered my last Nolan from a local dealer who does not carry Nolan in his regular stock. I bargained with him and paid the best internet site price I had found.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I have several helmets, open face, 3/4, modular and full face which I will wear depending on specific conditions.

In the summer my all time favorite is my HJC 3/4 CL-33

I wear an HJC CL Max 2 Modular a lot, especially on trips or in weather under 75 degrees

I also wear an HJC IS 16 Full face although not very often. i have noticed when I stop on it, I automatically grab for the chin bar release to lift the front, only there isn't one. Very inconvenient.

I too wear glasses and both the 3/4 and modular are much easier to use wearing glasses. I will walk into a store with the face shield raied on either without taking my helmet off to use a restroom, or pick up a snack, or a prescription even.

I also perfer dark tinted shields to clear shields or flip down internal sun shields like on the HJC IS series of helmets
I'm guessing extra care must be given during tinkle time with the bar down on that modular... otherwise, wet boots. :P
 
My first summer with the CB, I ordered a Shoei Full, 3/4 and Modular, ended up putting the modular on ebay, figured if I was in a wreck, I wanted the real deal. Face is as important as the head.
6a17d33c4786bbeba0bc281369c1cf2a.jpg
 
Back
Top