Modular helmet?

quiffy_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I’m thinking about getting a modular helmet.
I’d love to hear about your experience with them.
 
I've been wearing modulars (HJC) for 10 years or more. Don't think I could go back to a regular full face. They are a little heavier, they may be a little nosier, but they are just so darned convenient for getting air, for taking a drink out of a thermos or water bottle, for talking to someone, for looking down.

1c477d27fa8a8ec1cb4cadc58803ffdc.jpg


8926d12c5660d52d31b33ded43e5d20f.jpg
 
I am with team ferret. I started wearing modulars with an HJC, and now have a Shoei Neotech 2 as well. Both helmets are comfortable, and I alternate them. I dont think I would ever go back to a full face, or a 3/4 either. It is nice at stops for gas being able to leave my helmet on if I choose, and oh man raising that chin bar on a hot day to get fresh air on my face...priceless.
 
I switched to the Shoei Neotec modular helmet right around when they introduced them. On the 2nd version so it's been longer than 5 years for sure. Would never go back to full-face again. The overall convenience factor for the modular is significant to me.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys.
I tried on an XL Shoei neotech 2 at a local shop and liked it but $700 made me pause.
 
Yeah that would make me pause too. I think my HJC CL Max 2 ran about $ 150
 
I agree with ferret too.
I've been wearing an HJC modular for many years and am on my third one.
In 2008 I crashed wearing one, and while I didn't land on my head, it took a hard hit and strayed in one piece. It was tossed and replaced with another right away.
 
A long time ago I used the Schubert C4 pro, very good and quiet helmet, but the chin part could only be moved to the top of the helmet. After that I got the Shark evoline 3, the chin pease can be moved to the back of the helmet and the first helmet to be homologated as open and closed helmet I believe...Shark has now a newer version with even more functionality with the screen.


But for now I prefer the open helmets in carbon, so much lighter and comfortable , where you can add a chin piece

0a62f1a15b8d3af84bab17127481c083.jpg
d88273c8d418a93c6e657624709a851b.jpg
f1a4ebdb7e07f05f3154cc511937c206.jpg



Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro
 
Another shout out for the Shark Evo 2.

The chin bar can swivel right over the top to the back of the helmet and you can ride with either style - full face, or open face.

It's a brilliant concept, very comfortable ( for me and Mrs Bazbro), has the usual accoutrements - useable visor in either configuration, retractable sun visor, I intercom ready - and is not noticeably noisier. Good range of colours/finishes too.

Recommended. :thumbsup:

f22239af14a803db8ebb30dcbfaa0294.jpg


b943ebd442348fe3c1c4889903075c8c.jpg
 
I have an Arai “long oval” head and have had good success with a Schuberth C3-Pro. It fits great, it’s quiet (my biggest requirement), and it has CE approval. Bought it on-line from Italy for less than half the cost of the U.S. MSRP. I don’t mind full-face helmets but prefer the convenience of modulars. If you do track days, most tracks require full-face.
 
I have one kind of by default, it was the only XXL they had in the store. It is a Bilt and I like it, especially for Highway or Interstate rides.
 
I bought one 3 years ago, rode with it for one day, then exchanged for a full non-modular version (all Scorpion brand). The problem for me was that when riding mostly naked, it was very very noisy (I assume because of seams). So very limited experience, but I tried one at least.
 
I never had a modular helmet , my Aria Signet X fits me perfect and that is all I wanted plus the quality of the Aria brand.
 
Just received my HJC RPHA (90S) modular last month, it fits well, however, the foam cushion used is too thin. It seemed that I can feel the hardness of the styrofoam.

Since it is a European model, it uses a ratchet type chin strap instead of the usual "D" ring.

Like:
Very light (around 1500 grams).
Ratchet type chin strap.
Nice to get fresh air when waiting at trafic lights.

Dislike:
Need to use an adaptor so that I can attach it to the bike when not in use.
A bit noisy when compared with my SHOEI GT Air.
Fit & finish is not at par with my other helmets (ARAI, SHOEI)
 
I did 10 hours in a Neotec2 yesterday (650km), and my head hurts. It doesn't fit my head shape, apparently. Also louder than my previous Schoei.
However, the Sena integration is awesome (if you can locate the middle button with gloves) and I just NEED the opening face and flipdown shades.
I'll try to do something about the fit when I get home, but first another 5-600km in agony. Just because.
 
Back
Top