Mistaken Identity

SlewisCB1100_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I wonder how many of you CB1100's owners out there have the same or similar experience..... When I am out riding, inevitably I am asked what year the bike is, or I'm asked if I bought the bike restored or if I restored it myself, or "Is that a '75 or '76?" Just today I participated in a charity ride with 500+ motorcycles (mostly H-D's) and if I was asked once, i was asked ten times what year the bike is and when I told them "2013" they are surprised thinking it was a '70's vintage. And these questions are coming from Harley riders.

I think it is great and wondering if others have, or have had, a similar experience when they take the CB1100 out?


 
You should see people guessing the years on our bikes when I am out riding with my brother on his Hinkley Bonneville. It's a riot.

There was a story here early on about a guy asking a forum member "What year is it? " to which he replied "2013" to which the guy replies " No, I know what year it is, what year is your bike?"

Think about that for a moment..its quite funny.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
You should see people guessing the years on our bikes when I am out riding with my brother on his Hinkley Bonneville. It's a riot.

There was a story here early on about a guy asking a forum member "What year is it? " to which he replied "2013" to which the guy replies " No, I know what year it is, what year is your bike?"

Think about that for a moment..its quite funny.
Great story. The CB1100 is a great conversation starter and bridges some of the gap between metric and H-D enthusiasts. I have a similar positive experience when I ride my 1974 CB350 Four.

Thanks for the reply.
 
The ferret_imp said:
You should see people guessing the years on our bikes when I am out riding with my brother on his Hinkley Bonneville. It's a riot.

There was a story here early on about a guy asking a forum member "What year is it? " to which he replied "2013" to which the guy replies " No, I know what year it is, what year is your bike?"

Think about that for a moment..its quite funny.
:hello: Guilty. :excited:
 
Randy B_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
You should see people guessing the years on our bikes when I am out riding with my brother on his Hinkley Bonneville. It's a riot.

There was a story here early on about a guy asking a forum member "What year is it? " to which he replied "2013" to which the guy replies " No, I know what year it is, what year is your bike?"

Think about that for a moment..its quite funny.
:hello: Guilty. :excited:
:hello: Guilty. :excited:

One of my favorite CB 1100 stories Randy!
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I would never expect Harley riders to know a CB1100 even exists.
Most probably cut their teeth on Jap bikes in their youth. I had Jap, British, Italian, and American bikes, I assume that others had too. As far as Harley riders, I have zero problems with them and wish them well. Harley drives the American market and has built a fantastic brand since the AMF years.
 
gossman_imp said:
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I would never expect Harley riders to know a CB1100 even exists.
Most probably cut their teeth on Jap bikes in their youth. I had Jap, British, Italian, and American bikes, I assume that others had too. As far as Harley riders, I have zero problems with them and wish them well. Harley drives the American market and has built a fantastic brand since the AMF years.
Gossman, are you familiar with the English TV series Fawlty Towers? If so, mentioning Harley riders around here is akin to mentioning the war. If not ...


 
Thread starter
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I would never expect Harley riders to know a CB1100 even exists.
Funny enough, most cut their teeth on metrics so they usually have a first bike story or still have an affinity for the early '70's metrics.

Ride safe!
PistolPete811_imp said:
With your color combo I think your bike is screaming for black fork gatters to finish off its look!

Pete
Thanks for the suggestion Pete.
 
Just last week a guy on a newer Yamaha commented on my CB; the conversation went like this: Nice bike. Thanks. Is that an '84 or '85? It's a 2014. No sh.. really? Yep. Cool, I really like the black. -He looks at it for a while- Is it fuel injected? Yep. Wow, really nice, man. Thanks. Is it fast? It's not CBR fast, but it'll do a 12 second 1/4. Wow, I'll have to tell my buddies about this one...
 
Thread starter
14CharlieBravo11_imp said:
Just last week a guy on a newer Yamaha commented on my CB; the conversation went like this: Nice bike. Thanks. Is that an '84 or '85? It's a 2014. No sh.. really? Yep. Cool, I really like the black. -He looks at it for a while- Is it fuel injected? Yep. Wow, really nice, man. Thanks. Is it fast? It's not CBR fast, but it'll do a 12 second 1/4. Wow, I'll have to tell my buddies about this one...
Love those interactions and stories! Thanks for sharing.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
gossman_imp said:
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I would never expect Harley riders to know a CB1100 even exists.
Most probably cut their teeth on Jap bikes in their youth. I had Jap, British, Italian, and American bikes, I assume that others had too. As far as Harley riders, I have zero problems with them and wish them well. Harley drives the American market and has built a fantastic brand since the AMF years.
Gossman, are you familiar with the English TV series Fawlty Towers? If so, mentioning Harley riders around here is akin to mentioning the war. If not ...


Gossman, are you familiar with the English TV series Fawlty Towers? If so, mentioning Harley riders around here is akin to mentioning the war. If not ...



Use to watch Fawlty Towers here, reminds me of someone from the ministry of funny walks!
 
I'm glad I'm not the only one - not that it's all that surprising, given the bike we're talking about here.
I know I posted this somewhere way back when, but I had a similar experience on my way home from buying the CB, just a couple of blocks from the dealer. I was stopped at a red light, and an older guy standing at the corner, I'm guessing probably in his 70s, told me that I had a beautiful bike, and asked me what year it was. I told him it was a 2013, and he said, "No, I mean what year was it made?". So I told him again, "it's a 2013. It's brand new". He got this pissed-off look on his face and turned and stormed away. I can only figure that he thought that it was really a '70s CB, and that I was just yanking his chain!
 
I showed my bike to a friend this weekend. I really liked it and asked if I had done the renovation or if I had it done my a professional. I told I had spent all summer working on it and just completed the job. He was like, wow, great job.

I thought he was kidding, but he was actually serious. So I told him the bike was 3 weeks old, and he hardly believed me.
 
Randy B_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
You should see people guessing the years on our bikes when I am out riding with my brother on his Hinkley Bonneville. It's a riot.

There was a story here early on about a guy asking a forum member "What year is it? " to which he replied "2013" to which the guy replies " No, I know what year it is, what year is your bike?"

Think about that for a moment..its quite funny.
:hello: Guilty. :excited:
:hello: Guilty. :excited:
You too? I know I posted the same story last year right after I got my bike. It wasn't the only time it happened. The joke doesn't work anymore now that it's a year old. :(

I still get people trying to guess what year it is about every other time I stop for gas. The consensus seems to be somewhere around '79-'80.
 
Randy, Flynrider and Papa Weeley all with the exact same story of a conversation about the year their bike was made. Wow! :P
 
Back
Top