Mirrors lasted a month

Flynbulldog_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
My intention was to leave this bike looking stock and oem vintage and that included leaving the original mirrors in place.

But, true to my personal aesthetic they came off today in favor of a set of bar end mirrors.

I'd post a pic but you've all seen them before. How about you? Stock mirrors or aftermarket?
 
I'm not a big fan of the mickey mouse mirrors so I'm looking into after market mirrors right now. With your bar end mirrors, did you have to replace the bar end weight or did they fit in between the grip and the weight?
 
Thread starter
Joola_imp said:
I'm not a big fan of the mickey mouse mirrors so I'm looking into after market mirrors right now. With your bar end mirrors, did you have to replace the bar end weight or did they fit in between the grip and the weight?
I had a set of CRG lanesplitters laying around from another bike that was sold a while back.
I used the bar-end adapters that CRG sells separately mated to a set of aftermarket bars that I installed a couple of weeks ago.

If I were using the stock bars I'd probably turn a set of weights with a section to mount the mirrors.
I did that on my ZRX and it worked great.

The stock bar-ends won't work.
 
Stock...great view, clear, crisp, large. I like em.
 
I personally can't stand the look or the location of bar end mirrors (sorry), so I have the stockers and am pleased as punch. :D
 
The ferret_imp said:
Stock...great view, clear, crisp, large. I like em.
I'm with The Ferret on this one... Plus, classic, retro look! I can tell a CB coming at me from a good distance away, front lights, speedometer, mirrors etc. until this thread I never viewed the mirrors as Micky Mouse, simply CB classic. I get that the CB1100 can be viewed as a clean canvas for artistic impressions (i.e. cafe racer builds). But as for me, clean retro original (for the most part).

"great view, clear, crisp, large. I like em" me too!
 
Thread starter
Thanks to BIX for these beautiful photographs comparing stock to bar-end mirrors:

ed383e87e32455bbccd4c3f393a00f53.


I also have lower bars similar to this
 
I have CRG LS as well. The stockers are TOO big mickey mouse ear looking (imo) .. and caused me blindspots when diving into the switchbacks. The bar ends open up your field of view and it's a beaut. I'm a cafe racer fan not an OEM cookie cutter fan.
 
Thread starter
Bonafide_imp said:
I have CRG LS as well. The stockers are TOO big mickey mouse ear looking (imo) .. and caused me blindspots when diving into the switchbacks. The bar ends open up your field of view and it's a beaut. I'm a cafe racer fan not an OEM cookie cutter fan.
I've been a cafe racer guy since well before cafe bikes were a fad but it can be said that cafe bikes, choppers, and customs all follow a cookie cutter formula too.

How many guys are building flat blacked out bikes these days? Shesh! talk about no imagination :(...
 
Flynbulldog_imp said:
Bonafide_imp said:
I have CRG LS as well. The stockers are TOO big mickey mouse ear looking (imo) .. and caused me blindspots when diving into the switchbacks. The bar ends open up your field of view and it's a beaut. I'm a cafe racer fan not an OEM cookie cutter fan.
I've been a cafe racer guy since well before cafe bikes were a fad but it can be said that cafe bikes, choppers, and customs all follow a cookie cutter formula too.

How many guys are building flat blacked out bikes these days? Shesh! talk about no imagination :(...
So you're a brit from the pre-60s? :rolleyes: whatever rockstar.

ANY modified bike by an individual no matter what 'formula' format chosen is NOT a cookie cutter.

I'm currently building a blacked out bike. I prefer blacked out pieces to chrome. Guess I have no shiny imagination. :shy:

I swear .. it sure is coming across here like some of you guys are just huddling over this forum so you can push your personal opinion as what's right and everyone else is wrong. Go ride your bike ... or polish your headlight .. or whatever trips your trigger. :dodgy:
 
I think there is a lot of individualism being shown on this forum with regards to this bike..completely stock, different handle bars, mirrors, seats, color of side covers, foot pegs, engine guards, luggage racks, at least 6 different windshield/ fairing combos, luggage. The bike is being used truly as a UJM is designed to be used. Modified to suit the individual style and taste of the owners.

Some modifications may suit some but not others. I try not to be too critical, because honestly, its none of my business what someone does to their bike.

I also not try to call someone a liar or demean them without knowing differently, being able to prove differently, or knowing the person personally.

This is a fine motorcycle, one which has brought us all together in this place. No sense getting your shorts in a wad because someone says something you don't agree with.

Tis site started with civility and I hope it continues that way.
 
Thread starter
Bonafide_imp said:
Flynbulldog_imp said:
Bonafide_imp said:
I have CRG LS as well. The stockers are TOO big mickey mouse ear looking (imo) .. and caused me blindspots when diving into the switchbacks. The bar ends open up your field of view and it's a beaut. I'm a cafe racer fan not an OEM cookie cutter fan.
I've been a cafe racer guy since well before cafe bikes were a fad but it can be said that cafe bikes, choppers, and customs all follow a cookie cutter formula too.

How many guys are building flat blacked out bikes these days? Shesh! talk about no imagination :(...
So you're a brit from the pre-60s? :rolleyes: whatever rockstar.

ANY modified bike by an individual no matter what 'formula' format chosen is NOT a cookie cutter.

I'm currently building a blacked out bike. I prefer blacked out pieces to chrome. Guess I have no shiny imagination. :shy:

I swear .. it sure is coming across here like some of you guys are just huddling over this forum so you can push your personal opinion as what's right and everyone else is wrong. Go ride your bike ... or polish your headlight .. or whatever trips your trigger. :dodgy:
So you're a brit from the pre-60s? :rolleyes: whatever rockstar.

ANY modified bike by an individual no matter what 'formula' format chosen is NOT a cookie cutter.

I'm currently building a blacked out bike. I prefer blacked out pieces to chrome. Guess I have no shiny imagination. :shy:

I swear .. it sure is coming across here like some of you guys are just huddling over this forum so you can push your personal opinion as what's right and everyone else is wrong. Go ride your bike ... or polish your headlight .. or whatever trips your trigger. :dodgy:
I guess I asked for that cuzz, well, everybody is building a flat blacked out bike these days. sorta proves my point.

But hey I'm not trying to rain on your happiness so I'm sorry if I hit a nerve.
And I do like to state my opinion just like everybody else.
But I'll never insist that another builder's taste is wrong, just that its not mine.
That's OK because a forum should have all kinds of information both positive and negative.
I would find a forum full of only positive information and posts nearly useless.

Like ferret said, don't let me or anybody else ruffle you feathers. We're all here having a great conversation around this bike.
And I'd bet that most of us have more in common than in difference.
 
Well I like the stock mirrors too...
 
It all comes down to personal taste. Bar end mirrors just look plain wrong to me on the CB1100. Definitely not attractive to my eye. I actually dig the stock mirrors on the CB1100, both for the way they look and for the way they work.

To be totally honest, I'm more concerned with how "I" look on the bike as I could stand to lose a few pounds. Until that happens, no matter what I do to my CB, I'm going to be the most out of place part of the bike's look. :D
Bonafide_imp said:
Flynbulldog_imp said:
Bonafide_imp said:
I have CRG LS as well. The stockers are TOO big mickey mouse ear looking (imo) .. and caused me blindspots when diving into the switchbacks. The bar ends open up your field of view and it's a beaut. I'm a cafe racer fan not an OEM cookie cutter fan.
I've been a cafe racer guy since well before cafe bikes were a fad but it can be said that cafe bikes, choppers, and customs all follow a cookie cutter formula too.

How many guys are building flat blacked out bikes these days? Shesh! talk about no imagination :(...
So you're a brit from the pre-60s? :rolleyes: whatever rockstar.

ANY modified bike by an individual no matter what 'formula' format chosen is NOT a cookie cutter.

I'm currently building a blacked out bike. I prefer blacked out pieces to chrome. Guess I have no shiny imagination. :shy:

I swear .. it sure is coming across here like some of you guys are just huddling over this forum so you can push your personal opinion as what's right and everyone else is wrong. Go ride your bike ... or polish your headlight .. or whatever trips your trigger. :dodgy:
Come on Bonafide, no one here called you out in particular. Everyone, including yourself, is entitled to their own opinion. In general, blacked out bikes aren't my thing either. But I would hope that if that is what someone chooses to do with their bike, they're doing so because they themselves prefer it and not because they are trying to impress others or are overly worried about what anyone else thinks.

Here in Portland, you almost couldn't throw a rock without hitting a hipster riding around on a 70's UJM that been ratted out and spray painted flat black. Sadly, those bikes are what defines the genre for me. In my eye, those bikes are totally cookie cutter (to use a phrase that you yourself used earlier in this thread).

I know that there are other examples out there that are executed in a way where, with even a quick glance, you can see that a considerable amount of time and effort were invested in the bike. Unfortunately they are few and far between where I live, so I hope that you might understand where some of us are coming from.

There is a section on this forum for other bikes, I hope when you're finished with your project you'll post it up there. I've been surprised before, and will surely be surprised many more times down the road (if I'm lucky) by the work of others. So please do share when you get a chance. Because here's the thing: even if a custom bike isn't to my taste, I can still appreciate a job well done.
 
Chime in time...

I personally prefer the stock mirrors. Reminds me of the original CB's and other bikes of that era.

Not only that, to check your stock mirrors you don't have to take your eyes to far from the road to check your mirrors, whereas, IN MY OPINION, to check bar end mirrors your taking your eyes off of the road too far to get a check of mirrors.

Personally, I look over my shoulder for making any changes and only glance to the mirror to make sure that I don't have the bubble gum lights of a cruiser behind me! :)
 
Hi,I just put the slightly wider OEM Honda CBX mirrors on my CB1100.After a scary ride in the fog on my 94 CB1000 last fall on Interstate 81 I decided to put even wider mirrors on all my bikes like I have on my CBX.s The mirrors on both CB1000 and CB1100 our very good compared to other bikes but with the CBX mirrors I can see both lanes behind me vey well out of BOTH mirrors.They are all black but do look as if they belong on the bike.In this case it is safety above all and they are very nice mirrors and HONDA !!! Safe Riding.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Hi,I just put the slightly wider OEM Honda CBX mirrors on my CB1100.After a scary ride in the fog on my 94 CB1000 last fall on Interstate 81 I decided to put even wider mirrors on all my bikes like I have on my CBX.s The mirrors on both CB1000 and CB1100 our very good compared to other bikes but with the CBX mirrors I can see both lanes behind me vey well out of BOTH mirrors.They are all black but do look as if they belong on the bike.In this case it is safety above all and they are very nice mirrors and HONDA !!! Safe Riding.
That sounds interesting. How about a photo!

Chip
 
I would love to post photo,s but have no clue how to do this!!
People say it is easy but I do not even know what some of the terms they say mean.My wife can put the pictures I use to sell on ebay on but we have never used things like photo bucket etc.
Hopefully one day we will master it.
 
Back
Top