Mirror/stay

PowderToastMan_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hey guys,

I bumped my mirror a while back and now it screws into the stay a little too far and wants to point in at my chest rather than out at the road behind me.
Would a nylon washer make a good shim to try to get it back in the right direction?
 
Nope, there are two screws that work opposite of each other. Strew the bottom one in tight and position the mirror where you want it and screw the top one down to hold it in place.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, I know it's been that way with other bikes I've had but this one has a rubber cover over it, so I didn't really notice it even when I took the mirror all the way off. In the past I've always had trouble with keeping mirrors in place once they get knocked loose.. the bottom one doesn't seem to like to stay put.
 
They have jam nuts on them. Use 2 wrenches to tighten. To me they are a pia to adjust and tighten.
 
Cost savings and simple. You gents have a better design at low cost, I'm sure Honda would be happy to accept it for free. 😀


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
How long was your bike in the shop?
 
I think that the Honda mirrors on our bikes are easy to adjust and stay in place.
The CBX mirrors I put on work the same but show more of the road behind you as they have a longer stem.
I ordered the black covers for the clutch and brake reservoir to go with the black CBX mirrors.
 
I wanted to keep the stock mirrors, but had to move around to see around my shoulders, so I went with the mirror extenders. Guess I got lucky when I install because they were right on spot first try. few weeks ago one came loose and I think I must have adjust that thing 4 times before a got it right, made sure I locked it down a little tighter this time. By the way that was the mirror that came loose not the extender mount.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
How long was your bike in the shop?
I gave it to them last Wednesday night (when I called ahead they put me down for Thurs but said I could bring it the night before and let it cool down ahead of time), got it back on Saturday. They said they were a little short staffed at the time.

Valve adjustment was quite a bite out of the wallet so I will be thinking about doing it myself next year :thumbsup:
 
Did any valves need adjusting? Did they write down the gap specs for you on all the valves?
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
How long was your bike in the shop?
I gave it to them last Wednesday night (when I called ahead they put me down for Thurs but said I could bring it the night before and let it cool down ahead of time), got it back on Saturday. They said they were a little short staffed at the time.

Valve adjustment was quite a bite out of the wallet so I will be thinking about doing it myself next year :thumbsup:
I gave it to them last Wednesday night (when I called ahead they put me down for Thurs but said I could bring it the night before and let it cool down ahead of time), got it back on Saturday. They said they were a little short staffed at the time.

Valve adjustment was quite a bite out of the wallet so I will be thinking about doing it myself next year :thumbsup:
My bad, I wasn't clear.
I meant when you were in the accident.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Did any valves need adjusting? Did they write down the gap specs for you on all the valves?
I was told 14 of the 16 needed adjustment (!!!), but they didn't give me the numbers. They did say it wasn't that they were out by much but they were out. Maybe I should see if they still have the numbers.

Randy B_imp said:
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
How long was your bike in the shop?
I gave it to them last Wednesday night (when I called ahead they put me down for Thurs but said I could bring it the night before and let it cool down ahead of time), got it back on Saturday. They said they were a little short staffed at the time.

Valve adjustment was quite a bite out of the wallet so I will be thinking about doing it myself next year :thumbsup:
I gave it to them last Wednesday night (when I called ahead they put me down for Thurs but said I could bring it the night before and let it cool down ahead of time), got it back on Saturday. They said they were a little short staffed at the time.

Valve adjustment was quite a bite out of the wallet so I will be thinking about doing it myself next year :thumbsup:
My bad, I wasn't clear.
I meant when you were in the accident.
Ah, that was two months.. woulda been quicker if they could get the parts in quicker.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Did any valves need adjusting? Did they write down the gap specs for you on all the valves?
I was told 14 of the 16 needed adjustment (!!!), but they didn't give me the numbers. They did say it wasn't that they were out by much but they were out. Maybe I should see if they still have the numbers.

Randy B_imp said:
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
How long was your bike in the shop?
I gave it to them last Wednesday night (when I called ahead they put me down for Thurs but said I could bring it the night before and let it cool down ahead of time), got it back on Saturday. They said they were a little short staffed at the time.

Valve adjustment was quite a bite out of the wallet so I will be thinking about doing it myself next year :thumbsup:
I gave it to them last Wednesday night (when I called ahead they put me down for Thurs but said I could bring it the night before and let it cool down ahead of time), got it back on Saturday. They said they were a little short staffed at the time.

Valve adjustment was quite a bite out of the wallet so I will be thinking about doing it myself next year :thumbsup:
My bad, I wasn't clear.
I meant when you were in the accident.
Ah, that was two months.. woulda been quicker if they could get the parts in quicker.
I was told 14 of the 16 needed adjustment (!!!), but they didn't give me the numbers. They did say it wasn't that they were out by much but they were out. Maybe I should see if they still have the numbers.
Did they charge you for 14 shims???? Yours is only the second one I have heard of needing adjustment. Someone else reported all the exhaust valves needed adjustment. Others have reported all in spec. My shop says they rarely ever find a valve out of spec with this valve shim arrangement.

My brothers Triumph has the same shim under bucket and we checked his at 12 and 24,000 and still all in spec.

Man, I don't trust shop mechanics.

Yes I would check and see if they still have the numbers but I doubt they will at this point.
 
Thread starter
They didn't charge me that much for the actual shims (though they said they had to order some that they didn't have in stock, so it took a couple days for them to get it back to me). My invoice says 4 shims at 8.79 apiece so that's about $35.

Also they cut me some slack on the labor price. I knew going in that they'd charge me 4 hours for the initial tear-down and clearance check, and maybe plus two if they had to actually adjust, but they only charged me plus one on that. It's still pretty darned expensive per hour of labor, but since it's all clearly posted I knew what I was getting into, so no complaints about the integrity of that shop!
I will consider taking a day to do it myself next time though!
 
I had my bike serviced at 15,600 kms (9,750 milees in the old world). They checked the valve clearances and found them within the specification tolerance. Although the tech showed me his piece of paper with the numbers on, I can't remember what they were. There was some minor difference, but he was a bit sceptical about checking them cold; he thought they'd even out when the bike warmed up.
 
Back
Top