Might need something lighter than my Goldwing

vito_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
As I am getting older, the 900+ pounds of the Goldwing is starting to get to be a bit much. And now that my wife has decided that her passenger riding days are over, I think it is time to start looking for a lighter bike. In my almost 40 years of riding I've become pretty loyal to Honda for the reliability and performance of their bikes, and I'm thinking that maybe the CB1100 EX is the bike I should be looking at.

I'm hoping for some input from folks here to help me with this decision. Back in the 1980's and early 1990's the Honda Nighthawk 750 seemed like the perfect do-anything bike, a true UJM. It appears that the CB100 is the modern version of that. I know that at 540 pounds it is not a lightweight, but compared to the Goldwing I know it would feel like an easy bike to handle.

Some specific thoughts I had include: Is Honda continuing this model or not? Looking at the Honda Powersports website they list the CB1100EX as a 2017, which seems odd now that we are in 2019. Is there aftermarket hard side bags that fit this bike? Without bags, what do you use for carrying some everyday basics like a rainsuit, extra gloves, etc.?

Do many of you use a windscreen, and if so, which one? My experience on other bikes has been that wind is too much of a problem when at highway speed without a windscreen, but I know I don't want something as big as the fairing and screen of my Goldwing.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
 
Welcome to the forum, Vito. Our ever-helpful member services staff will be a long shortly with all the advice you can handle. I can’t help much as I’ve neither owned nor ridden a Goldwing, but I’m pretty happy with my CB1100. Other members have plenty of experience with both bikes.

There are 3 2019 models of the CB1100 available in Japan which means they’re still being made. The killer question, I believe, is whether the air-cooled motor can survive the Euro5 emissions regulations. Some around here predict it will be the end of the air-cooled CB1100.

Honda doesn’t make side cases, but there are other options available.

Meanwhile, the search tool on the forum is your friend.
 
$64K Question. Will Honda keep importing the CB to the US. They seem to be on track to keep making it for other markets (seems to be a shoe in for the their home market). With SamuRider.com supporting us (and WebBike World) parts should be easy to come by (as well as from your favorite US Honda supplier).

Just like back in the day there are plenty of bags and mounts available; e.g. Givi. But you will have to relocate the rear blinkers. Honda kinda blew it there.

For a windscreen things are in better shape there, just not as thick as in the glory days. Slipstreamer and others will give you the classic UJM look. I have one for my bike. but I picked a Chic bikini fairing for the 2013 and prefer it to the big barndoor. I recently aquired a Don Vesco Rabid Transit for the 2013 and it's the bee's knee's but gives me some buffetting I need to address. I also have a 2014 (long story - not planned) and I'm thinking a naked bike is best. But then, I seem to want the opposite of what I'm currently on. :D

A few folks have picked up a classic Vetter Windjammer and stuffed it on the CB so that option is still available. It will take a bit of sorting to get the mount squared away.

The sidestand on the 2014 is shorter (with a larger foot) than the 2013 so it's harder to push upright than the 2013. On the upside, I find the 2014 sidestand much easier to deploy. I also prefer the 6 speed tranny to the 2013.

I see no reason why this bike, if you do your part, won't last 200K miles. Or more.

Sidebar: You'll be going to a chain drive which seems to put off some folks. But with minimal maintenance the chain can last as long as 20K miles. Once you change the chain and sprockets you have done a complete drive train over haul. Cheaply. Can't say that about shaft drive! A buddy has a dirt bike; never oils the chain. Replaces it around 10K miles; which was the same mileage he got out of well oiled chains. So he rides and forgets about it. :)
Welcome to our little nook of the 'net! :worship:
 
Howdy Vito annd welcome.

My wife and I have two 2013 models, I run mine most times, meaning summer, with nothing more than a tank and tail bag. For cold weather I use a small Puig screen. My wife has a Slipstreamer windscreen, Handlebar risers (1" up and 1" back), custom seat and highway pegs. With these mods it is a surprisingly good light touring bike. Honda offers nothing for luggage but there is plenty of after market stuff from S W Motech, Hepco & Becker, GIVI, Tourmaster, etc.
 
:hello: Howdy and welcme to the forum.

The CB1100 is a very easy bike to ride. A little heavy pushing it around, but it rides very light and stable. Very torquey with a wide powerband. I rarely rev mine higher than 3500 rpms. Typical Honda reliability and fit and finish. We have one member with over 100k miles, a couple around 60k and several more around 50k. My chain and sprockets went 36,909 miles btw.


Others have already suggested some accessories for you. Personally I use soft luggage, tank bag and tail bag most of the time, and add soft saddlebags when on a trip. All easily added or removed as needed. I use a small shield when on trips and in the fall/winter also easily added or removed.

Good luck with your search.
 
Hi Vito and welcome aboard the Forum. Eventually you will discover at the Forum that when not elsewhere, you will be here.

Your story is very familiar as I have met others who went through a process downsizing from a Gold Wing, or retiring completely from riding after the Wing.

I personally use the Dart Marlin wind screen. I would use a larger medium-size screen, however, I have found others experience challenging wind buffeting issues. Larger screens can also significantly change the looks of the bike, if that is important.

Unfortunately, storage will change the looks of the bike, if that is important. I prefer to not wear my carry-ons, and I decided that I prefer to avoid side luggage for various tedium and support structure distractions they can bring. I am also lazy swinging that leg over the bags/boxes all the time. So I went with the ugly rear top box. The basic point is I can always hull a passenger who can simply lean back and enjoy the ride, but more importantly for me: I can just throw everything "in the trunk" and walk away (I reckon this was the ultimate with the G.Wing). In addition, if I need to take the trunk, it disconnects in about 1.685 seconds. One more bonus: Without the side luggage I can increase my chances of parking in narrow situations.

BTW: If you liked the '80s Honda Nighthawk 750, you'll love the CB1100.

Have fun, and enjoy your new journey!
 
Hello Vito, and welcome. I started riding motorcycles at age 17, and am now 66. Until 2017 I was riding a Harley that I bought in 2007 new. As I got older, plus doing more around town and short hops, the Harley became like wrestling a tank at slower speeds and in town traffic for me. It weighed over 750 pounds. I liked the bike, but like Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies, " Ya know, a mans just gotta know his limitations.

I have probably owned more than a dozen different bikes over the years, all Japanese except the Harley. My all time favorite before my CB1100, was a 1974 CB750 Four that I bought new in '74. The CB1100 is the closest I will ever get my my "74. The minute I stated riding it home from the dealer, it felt familiar. Although not a light bike, I find it very manageable in all types of riding, from slow around town, to cruising on the highway. Best I can tell you is to ride one and see if you like it. As far as the accessories go, there are lots available, can you can get accessory suggestions here all day long. Go for a test ride on one, and see if you like it.
 
Welcome Vito! This is all very good feedback. The only thing I'd add is the ergonomics don't work for everyone, but it's easily rectified in the aftermarket. I think you'll find the usual individual objections to legroom, reach to the bars, seat discomfort, engine vibes, etc. I personally have no complaints with any of this but everyone's different. The only issue I experience is tire selection. It's possible to install non-OEM sized tires, but there's not much selection available if you want to stay with the OE 140/70R-18 rear fitment.
 
Biggest advice which has already been mentioned, just go test ride one if at all possible. It’ll answer most if not all questions.

And a word about windscreens: you might like riding at 60 mph and below without one. Again, the test ride will address that.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck. Two words though, get one!! You’ll very likely love it. Excellent motorcycle indeed.
 
How light is light enough?
Hi Vito,

My riding is 60/40 in-town vs. long-distance-touring by saddle-time, and the opposite (40/60) by mileage. I have a lighter (water cooled I4, 600cc Honda) bike for aroud-town and some day-excursion rides. In current Honda's programme, CB600F would be my choice for this. (Actually, IMHO, an almost ideal choice).

I did two "continental tours" on CB1100 so far. I am in the (minority?) of riders here (judging by a prevoius thread on the subject on the forum) in having no use for wind-screens. If small enough to be no problem in cross-winds (or steady strong winds in winding roads) they offer no protection worth mentioning, and possibly just deflecting the air-stream so that your torso is protected but the head gets twice the blast.

On both long-distance trips I had a small tank-bag and a 35-liter rain-proof duffle bag strapped on the seat/rear carrier behind me. While more than enough for me (solo!) by the volume, there is a distinct disadvantage in that arrangement that the bag must be un-strapped if there is a need to change attire during the ride. I am therefore still actively looking for hard panniers, with about 20-liter capacity per side, that can be fited on the 2016 CB1100 with original Honda's rear-carrier in place. (Any suggestions, my fellow CB1100 tourers?)

I find CB1100 handling, stabilty and riding position very close to perfect, and the total mass just about right for me (I am past the last both-limits identified age group in the rider's age survey on this forum :).

In conclusion, I do like this bike for long-distance touring. Speculations about European Union future emmision controls on the fate of this model I find unconvincing: my predistion is that this bike will out-live European Union itself.
 
Hi Vito

I don't know how long Honda will continue to make CBs but does it really matter ? They have made plenty of them already so there is an active aftermarket for accessories and spares are available . My guess is that the concept of Honda aircooled CB IL4s will continue as long as they will pass emissions . Who would fancy a new CB750 or CB550 or even another CB400 ? I reckon they would sell like hotcakes !

Regarding screens I bought my CB for its naked looks so no screen for me but frankly as someone said earlier , unless you fit a barndoor ,which is bound to work, everything else is going to be a distraction and a faff.

Cheers
 
I reckon even if Honda discontinued the air-cooled CB rendition, current models exist and are not privy to future standards (unless government edicts so without a grandfather clause ... there would be riots in the streets). In addition, if I were Honda, I would attempt to make the "liquid-cooler" version "feel like" an air-cooled CB. That might be attractive to some future audience. For reference, the neo-based CB1000R is not a fit, however, the base engine could be cosmetically "refitted" into a retro frame combination.
 
Welcome Vito !pretty much rehashing here but ...

Not sure you can pick a better all around bike than the CB. She is a bit of a hog when pushing around , but that weight disappears when riding . I have a dart pirranha flyscreen which keeps the naked look of the bike bit does provide some help with wind blast . The dart marlin might be a good fit .. great look with a bit bigger windscreen ( as you might deduct , I don't like big bike windscreens ). Also .. take a look at some pictures of Ferret's bike . He altered a screen and it looks awesome an keeps the look of the bike as intended bit looks like it would provide more wind relief

As far as luggage I am a Kriega guy in combo with backpack if needed as I commute alot. I have a givi rack on the rear and a Kriega 30 litre bag o can mount at any time vertically or horizontally. Can add 2 10 litre bags to the 30 litre on the sides for a saddlebag type setup , or a 20 litre on top .. no bracketing required . Tank bags also.

I am always kicking around the option to get a second bike to split miles , and will definitely get a Honda. Even though I like several models , it is very possible I will just get another CB .. it is that good a bike in my opinion

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Thanks to all for the great comments. My plan is to look around at what's available from all the Japanese brands at the Progressive show next month in Chicago. I want to have some options in case Honda stops making something that I want to buy. My guess is that the next bike I get is likely my last one, so I want to make the right choice. Right now the CB1100EX is at the top of my list.
 
m in sc_imp said:
its a great option for sure. I have a bunch of smaller and mid bikes, one of the big bikes is a concours (1st gen). The cb is def the best all arounder but the lack of luggage/screen (which i wont add ever as its lipstick on a pig, to me) makes my concours relevant to me. So, the question is, do you need that? I'm going to guess coming off a goldwing, you might want to go that way. Have you considered a versys or something along those lines? Im not saying the CB isnt good with bags and a barn door, but theres lighter options out there that have this prepackaged already. just my .02
Late model Kawi Versys 650 LT is an excellent ride. However, as stock it requires a long inseam to touch the ground. I would consider it if I didn't have the CB.
 
I rode a Goldwing for 9 years. But in the 80s they only weighed 750 pounds and the fuel tank under the seat and flat four motor gave it a very low center of gravity which made it easy to handle.

I am 6’2” tall. Despite being 72 years old, I find my 2017 EX easy to handle. It is top heavy, but the weight disappears in 2nd gear. The weight makes it very stable at highway speeds.

The linear torque of the motor makes this motorcycle easy to ride. When you want to pass, click down to fifth and roll the throttle. I do not use a windscreen. But an open face helmet can get tugged by the wind while passing, so full face helmet is recommended.

The first year, I mounted both a tank bag and tail bag on mine. The tank bag held maps and a wet micro towel in a Ziploc bag for my visor. At food stops it could be expanded to hold my helmet and gloves. Out of sight, out of mind.

The tail bag on the back of the seat held my rain suit and extra gloves when needed. On cold mornings I wear a down filled jacket under my leather jacket. In the afternoon it usually ended up in the tail bag.

Last year I bought the Honda rear rack and a small inexpensive EMGO trunk because the tail bag when expanded made it difficult to mount the bike. Both were easy to install and do not take away the retro look of the CB1100. I place my helmet and gloves in it at food stops. The tank bag is only used if want to carry my rain suit and extra gloves.

Every year I go on a weeklong fishing trip. For the extra clothing, I bought inexpensive Sedici square saddle bags that throw over the back of the seat. Then I mount the tail bag on the back of the seat for my reels and fishing tackle. I also bought a long backpack for my collapsible rods and life jacket. The pack is strapped on me, but rests on the tail bag so it does tire me.
 
Back
Top