Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I agree with popgun.Lord Popgun_imp said:To me Road Pilot would make more sense, but Michelin neglected to ask me.![]()
I have between 7K and 8K on my current set with a 4000 road trip coming up in 3 weeks. I think they would make the trip if I pushed it but I'd also hate to be wrong. I should go take some tread depth measurements and try to calculate how much useful life is really left.Flynrider_imp said:My front PR3 just turned 10K miles. Looks like it'll make it to 12K or more.
![]()
My main complaint with the OEM BT-54 was that the front was bald at 6K miles. This is a definite improvement!
I know how you feel. I started a long road trip years ago with a rear tire that was a bit iffy. It seemed to me like it had enough to make the trip, so I went with it. On the road, I found that the tread starts to disappear faster towards the end of the tire's life. Long story short, I wasted a day of vacation riding around the middle of nowhere trying to find a replacement tire (and someone who would actually install it).kennyw_imp said:I have between 7K and 8K on my current set with a 4000 road trip coming up in 3 weeks. I think they would make the trip if I pushed it but I'd also hate to be wrong. I should go take some tread depth measurements and try to calculate how much useful life is really left.Flynrider_imp said:My front PR3 just turned 10K miles. Looks like it'll make it to 12K or more.
![]()
My main complaint with the OEM BT-54 was that the front was bald at 6K miles. This is a definite improvement!
I could also have the new set shipped to my hotel in Nebraska and install them half way through the trip.
+1 and well-said.Flynrider_imp said:I know how you feel. I started a long road trip years ago with a rear tire that was a bit iffy. It seemed to me like it had enough to make the trip, so I went with it. On the road, I found that the tread starts to disappear faster towards the end of the tire's life. Long story short, I wasted a day of vacation riding around the middle of nowhere trying to find a replacement tire (and someone who would actually install it).kennyw_imp said:I have between 7K and 8K on my current set with a 4000 road trip coming up in 3 weeks. I think they would make the trip if I pushed it but I'd also hate to be wrong. I should go take some tread depth measurements and try to calculate how much useful life is really left.Flynrider_imp said:My front PR3 just turned 10K miles. Looks like it'll make it to 12K or more.
![]()
My main complaint with the OEM BT-54 was that the front was bald at 6K miles. This is a definite improvement!
I could also have the new set shipped to my hotel in Nebraska and install them half way through the trip.
That experience left me very leery of starting a big trip without knowing for sure that the tires had enough tread to make it. Especially a trip that will be primarily across sparsely populated areas.
I'm still on my first set of PR3s, but I know that my original BT-54 front tire went from just barely showing wear bars, to completely bald in less than 1K miles. It'll probably take a set or two to get a good feel for the kind of mileage I can count on from the PR3s.
I take it several threads means more than one or two. Would you mind providing a link or two?Ulvetanna_imp said:+1 and well-said.Flynrider_imp said:I know how you feel. I started a long road trip years ago with a rear tire that was a bit iffy. It seemed to me like it had enough to make the trip, so I went with it. On the road, I found that the tread starts to disappear faster towards the end of the tire's life. Long story short, I wasted a day of vacation riding around the middle of nowhere trying to find a replacement tire (and someone who would actually install it).kennyw_imp said:I have between 7K and 8K on my current set with a 4000 road trip coming up in 3 weeks. I think they would make the trip if I pushed it but I'd also hate to be wrong. I should go take some tread depth measurements and try to calculate how much useful life is really left.Flynrider_imp said:My front PR3 just turned 10K miles. Looks like it'll make it to 12K or more.
![]()
My main complaint with the OEM BT-54 was that the front was bald at 6K miles. This is a definite improvement!
I could also have the new set shipped to my hotel in Nebraska and install them half way through the trip.
That experience left me very leery of starting a big trip without knowing for sure that the tires had enough tread to make it. Especially a trip that will be primarily across sparsely populated areas.
I'm still on my first set of PR3s, but I know that my original BT-54 front tire went from just barely showing wear bars, to completely bald in less than 1K miles. It'll probably take a set or two to get a good feel for the kind of mileage I can count on from the PR3s.
The single most important system on a motorcycle is the tire/pavement interface. Second most important is the brakes.
Tire wear out exponentially, much more quickly toward the end of their life because of the rapid buildup of heat.
I understand the idea of not wanting to spend money on new rubber if one can get a few more safe miles out of a tire, but this is a system that is not convenient; oil changes and other kinds of maintenance can be done near the due date, but to keep tire performance optimal, often we will need to change the tire sometime before it's reached the end of its useful life.
The way to find out just when the tire has reached this "end-of-life" is not to arrange for the rider to reach his/hers concurrently.
I"ve read several threads quite recently where every nearly every response is to encourage forum members to squeeze every last kilometer out of the tires. Few, other than Flynrider's above, stated that prudence is the better course.
Don't run the tires past the wear bars. Keep them at recommended pressures. Your tires and brakes are your life. They allow you to stop, turn, and go safely. Replace them before they wear out.
+1 and well-said.Ulvetanna_imp said:+1 and well-said.Flynrider_imp said:I know how you feel. I started a long road trip years ago with a rear tire that was a bit iffy. It seemed to me like it had enough to make the trip, so I went with it. On the road, I found that the tread starts to disappear faster towards the end of the tire's life. Long story short, I wasted a day of vacation riding around the middle of nowhere trying to find a replacement tire (and someone who would actually install it).kennyw_imp said:I have between 7K and 8K on my current set with a 4000 road trip coming up in 3 weeks. I think they would make the trip if I pushed it but I'd also hate to be wrong. I should go take some tread depth measurements and try to calculate how much useful life is really left.Flynrider_imp said:My front PR3 just turned 10K miles. Looks like it'll make it to 12K or more.
![]()
My main complaint with the OEM BT-54 was that the front was bald at 6K miles. This is a definite improvement!
I could also have the new set shipped to my hotel in Nebraska and install them half way through the trip.
That experience left me very leery of starting a big trip without knowing for sure that the tires had enough tread to make it. Especially a trip that will be primarily across sparsely populated areas.
I'm still on my first set of PR3s, but I know that my original BT-54 front tire went from just barely showing wear bars, to completely bald in less than 1K miles. It'll probably take a set or two to get a good feel for the kind of mileage I can count on from the PR3s.
The single most important system on a motorcycle is the tire/pavement interface. Second most important is the brakes.
Tire wear out exponentially, much more quickly toward the end of their life because of the rapid buildup of heat.
I understand the idea of not wanting to spend money on new rubber if one can get a few more safe miles out of a tire, but this is a system that is not convenient; oil changes and other kinds of maintenance can be done near the due date, but to keep tire performance optimal, often we will need to change the tire sometime before it's reached the end of its useful life.
The way to find out just when the tire has reached this "end-of-life" is not to arrange for the rider to reach his/hers concurrently.
I"ve read several threads quite recently where every nearly every response is to encourage forum members to squeeze every last kilometer out of the tires. Few, other than Flynrider's above, stated that prudence is the better course.
Don't run the tires past the wear bars. Keep them at recommended pressures. Your tires and brakes are your life. They allow you to stop, turn, and go safely. Replace them before they wear out.

Front replacement tire to match the PR3 rear is on order. I'm hoping it makes as big a difference as the new rear tire did! 