Michelin Pilot Road 3s/Brake Pads - Fitted and Ridden.

Pterodactyl_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
My Bridgestone BT45 bias ply tyres (standard size) were stuffed and needed replacement. I had done approximately 16000kms on the Bridgestones. After some research, I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s, 110/80/18F and 160/60/18R. I liked the reviews of these tyres and, I have to say, reading CIP57’s post also influenced me. I removed the wheels at home and took them to the tyre supplier. The supplier removed the Bridgies, fitted the Michelins and balanced the wheels. On inspection the rear brake pads were worn to the indicators and the fronts were only just OK. This was after 33300kms total. While the wheels were off was a good time to replace the pads so I did that.
I fitted sintered pads to the front and organic to the rear. I am heavy footed enough to make me cautious when applying rear brake while modulating sintered on the front is not a problem.

Thought I would show some photos:

Last Blast, wheels off, waiting for new shoes and stoppers. Older cousin in the background.



After fitting the pads and new tyres I was concerned with the clearance between the rear tyre (now 160/60) and the right side foot of the centerstand. With the 140/70 standard tyre the clearance is approximately 12.5mm (.5in). This was now reduced to about 7mm. Probably enough. But not enough to remove images in my overactive imagination of the rear tyre, at high speed, contacting the centerstand and bringing it down. Could be nasty. I thought about bending the right side of the stand out. There is not a lot of length between the foot and centerstand cross brace so a substantial bend would be required over a short distance. I then decided to remove the centerstand and cut the inside of the foot down to achieve at least a 12mm clearance.

Foot after surgery and a squirt of Kill-rust black paint.
[url=http://s847.photobucket.com/user/tonys_mail/media/tonys_mail/Fitting%20Michelins/IMG_0397_zpsbb097e98.jpg.html]

Centerstand back in place. The clearance is now about 17mm. Imagination now at rest.

[url=http://s847.photobucket.com/user/tonys_mail/media/tonys_mail/Fitting%20Michelins/IMG_0404_zps88a3019b.jpg.html]

Removing the centerstand is easily done, a pinch of the proverbial possum’s pooh as they say (at least here in OZ they say that). I refitted the centerstand but did have an “issue”. Replacing the main spring and the sub spring proved not to be a pinch of the proverbial, to say the least. The sub spring sits inside the main spring and that’s how they both came off, together. Surely they go on together. Well, not quite. After about 30mins the floor below the bike was littered with various pliers, screwdrivers and even a hammer. The air was blue with my expletives. I do have a set of brake spring pliers, which may have done the job, but I couldn’t find them. Fitting the sub spring, located inside the main spring, was easy. The main spring not so, as the sub spring inhibited twisting and extending the main spring, and really did not want to stay in place while I attempted to fit the main spring. Bugger! I decided a beer was required to calm me down and lubricate the thought processes. It worked. Going back to the job I had a Eureka moment. Clamp the top of the main spring to the pivot post; fit the main spring using a suitable lever. I used a sturdy phillips head screwdriver. Then insert the sub spring inside the main spring with the upper end inboard of the clamped main spring and then pull down and attach at the bottom. Like a lot of things in life, once you have done it, you know how to do it.

Anyway, all back together and time to bed in the brake pads and get the shine off the tyres. I decided to ride to the Grey Gum Café on the Putty Road to the north west of Sydney. About a 306km ride, return. I wont go into the details of the ride too much except to say that the initial 40km was on freeway so that by spacing between blocks of cars I had the brakes well and truly bedded and the tyres warm before getting on the Putty Road. The Putty Road has lots of tight twisties, sweepers and some straight. Ideal for the job. In a Seat Time post Cormanus has given some good detail on this road and a photo of the Grey Gum Cafe. The tyres were good by the time I had a fish burger washed down by a coffee at the Grey Gum. On the run back I gave the Michelins a good workout. I was impressed. I had the strong impression they were smooth and very sticky. Got up some good lean angles. Felt good.

Here are a couple of photos of Last Blast with new boots:
[url=http://s847.photobucket.com/user/tonys_mail/media/tonys_mail/Fitting%20Michelins/IMG_0398_zps29339487.jpg.html]

[url=http://s847.photobucket.com/user/tonys_mail/media/tonys_mail/Fitting%20Michelins/IMG_0402_zps092cf91a.jpg.html]


Cheers
 
Nice job. Tires look good. New brake pads are always nice to have and now you are ready for some out-backing and ride reports. :biker:
 
Yes, nice looking tires. I have 2000+ miles on my P3s with an unmodified center stand, but thanks for freaking me out a little bit. I may have to shave down the right side of the stand to ease my imagination now. Very helpful post.
 
Nice report P, very positive tire to input and smooth, glad we have had positive reviews on the PR3's. I have about 1800mi on mine with no evidence of a flat spot on the rear or cupping in the front.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
Nice report P, very positive tire to input and smooth, glad we have had positive reviews on the PR3's. I have about 1800mi on mine with no evidence of a flat spot on the rear or cupping in the front.
Thanks for the feedback. Very encouraging.

Cheers
 
Good report, Pterodactyl. I like the look of those tyres. Makes me think I should have waited before replacing my Dunlops with BT45s. Ah well, there'll be a next time.
 
I bet my dealer could jack the bike up and cut or grind the right foot down without removing the stand. I might be willing to pay for that. I'll let you know.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Good report, Pterodactyl. I like the look of those tyres. Makes me think I should have waited before replacing my Dunlops with BT45s. Ah well, there'll be a next time.
Thanks. A next time? At the rate your clocking up the Ks, there surely will be.

Cheers
ari cb_imp said:
Good write up mate.

Where did you source your PR3s from?
Thanks mate. From:

MCAS

I like these guys. They did the "right thing" by me on another occasion. But any motorcycle dealer should be able to order and fit to either the wheels, or the bike. Your choice.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I bet my dealer could jack the bike up and cut or grind the right foot down without removing the stand. I might be willing to pay for that. I'll let you know.
He will have a hoist/stand so wouldn't be a problem. That's the nice thing about dealers - they will do anything for a dollar. :)

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Riko_imp said:
hi, did you use the stock wheels for those wider tires?

if so, no problems?
Yes, stock wheels. I'm finding the Michelin PR3 160 rear/110 front combination a pleasure to ride on. The Michelins have now done 900kms on all road types; highway, country road, straights and twisties, wet and dry. They work well both with a solo rider and a considerable load on the rack. I realise it is subjective of me but I am certain handling is better than the Dunlop 205s or Bridgestone BT45s I have used previously.

I think CIP 57 has also run these tyres for some time. Check other tyre threads. Remember, as ferret so astutely pointed out, they are not a Honda recommended tyre size.

Cheers.
 
Riko_imp said:
hi, did you use the stock wheels for those wider tires?

if so, no problems?
Riko,

Tire fitment is fine on stock rims. Performance is better in all areas over stock rubber and tire wear is much better than Bridgstone. These would be my replacement tires.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
hi, did you use the stock wheels for those wider tires?

if so, no problems?
Yes, stock wheels. I'm finding the Michelin PR3 160 rear/110 front combination a pleasure to ride on. The Michelins have now done 900kms on all road types; highway, country road, straights and twisties, wet and dry. They work well both with a solo rider and a considerable load on the rack. I realise it is subjective of me but I am certain handling is better than the Dunlop 205s or Bridgestone BT45s I have used previously.

I think CIP 57 has also run these tyres for some time. Check other tyre threads. Remember, as ferret so astutely pointed out, they are not a Honda recommended tyre size.

Cheers.
thus my question ;) .....

CIP57_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
hi, did you use the stock wheels for those wider tires?

if so, no problems?
Riko,

Tire fitment is fine on stock rims. Performance is better in all areas over stock rubber and tire wear is much better than Bridgstone. These would be my replacement tires.
....and it seems its absolutely safe to put on these +20 wider tires on the stock rim?


I also wanted to ask you guys, do you guys think about eventually putting on some Kineo rims?

Italian made custumisable spoke rims, very nice but very pricey as well.
I have put some pictures on the other thread "thinking about wider rear tire" of those rims on a CB....

Those rims a wider than stock and so they will be even more suitable to put on a 160 on the rear.

You guys have any thought about these after markets rims?

edit: some pictures


c1e50b1f482e09ca4fce68458cf3ee27.jpg

bb198e9060be60082100fa0ed6254dec.jpg

here a link to a German shop that offers those wheels for the CB1100:
http://www.motobike-parts24.de/MOTO...7775-37777-37779-37782-37789-37869-37870.html
 
Thread starter
Riko_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
hi, did you use the stock wheels for those wider tires?

if so, no problems?
Yes, stock wheels. I'm finding the Michelin PR3 160 rear/110 front combination a pleasure to ride on. The Michelins have now done 900kms on all road types; highway, country road, straights and twisties, wet and dry. They work well both with a solo rider and a considerable load on the rack. I realise it is subjective of me but I am certain handling is better than the Dunlop 205s or Bridgestone BT45s I have used previously.

I think CIP 57 has also run these tyres for some time. Check other tyre threads. Remember, as ferret so astutely pointed out, they are not a Honda recommended tyre size.

Cheers.
thus my question ;) .....

CIP57_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
hi, did you use the stock wheels for those wider tires?

if so, no problems?
Riko,

Tire fitment is fine on stock rims. Performance is better in all areas over stock rubber and tire wear is much better than Bridgstone. These would be my replacement tires.
....and it seems its absolutely safe to put on these +20 wider tires on the stock rim?


I also wanted to ask you guys, do you guys think about eventually putting on some Kineo rims?

Italian made custumisable spoke rims, very nice but very pricey as well.
I have put some pictures on the other thread "thinking about wider rear tire" of those rims on a CB....

Those rims a wider than stock and so they will be even more suitable to put on a 160 on the rear.

You guys have any thought about these after markets rims?

edit: some pictures


c1e50b1f482e09ca4fce68458cf3ee27.jpg

bb198e9060be60082100fa0ed6254dec.jpg

here a link to a German shop that offers those wheels for the CB1100:
http://www.motobike-parts24.de/MOTO...7775-37777-37779-37782-37789-37869-37870.html
Absolutely safe? Well I guess we will never know till we know :). I have fitted non standard tyres to bikes and cars and I am comfortable with the 160 RPs on standard rims. As a point of interest, this came from the post "On the Fence About Tyres":

http://www.bridgestone.de/motorrad-...otorcycle/Homologation/Honda/CB1100_SC65.ashx

(Thanks CIP)


Neither I nor the Head of Finance could justify fitting those rims to my bike. They look great, especially on the red café. What a great looking bike.

Cheers
 
CIP57_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
hi, did you use the stock wheels for those wider tires?

if so, no problems?
Riko,

Tire fitment is fine on stock rims. Performance is better in all areas over stock rubber and tire wear is much better than Bridgstone. These would be my replacement tires.
By any chance did you keep the rest of the bike stock with no problems ?
That is, you've found that you had no problems that might require grinding away some of the centerstand to make room for the rear tire ?
 
Thread starter
furious_blue_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
hi, did you use the stock wheels for those wider tires?

if so, no problems?
Riko,

Tire fitment is fine on stock rims. Performance is better in all areas over stock rubber and tire wear is much better than Bridgstone. These would be my replacement tires.
By any chance did you keep the rest of the bike stock with no problems ?
That is, you've found that you had no problems that might require grinding away some of the centerstand to make room for the rear tire ?
Mate, regarding centerstand, read post #1 and CIPs post in another thread.

Cheers
 
Back
Top