McCruise Cruise Control

cmc1891_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Have any of you used this company's cruise control kits before? Would any of you have interest in such a kit for the CB1100 to maybe coax the owner to make a kit?

Motorcycle Cruise Control - Electronic Cruise Control Systems

I really like the 2014 CB1100 Deluxe, but was hoping to have real cruise control on my next bike. (Any fun roads are very far from where I live). I contacted the owner of McCruise and asked if he had any intent to develop a kit for the CB1100, but he said no, he had no plans. He made a kit for the CBF1000 and has only sold a handful. IE his general (and probably correct) assumption is that naked bikes and their owners are not really in the market for such a device. Likely due to cost and also that naked bikes have no body work to "hide" the equipment. There is a general kit that one can buy and install on anything, but I don't think I have the skills or patience to figure that out.

McCruise does make a kit for the 2009+ Bonneville. But you can see a lot of the cruise hardware is visible after the install and to some extent clutters the "look".

I know there are throttle locks and cramp buster paddles that help on long interstate rides, but after riding my brothers Victory cruiser with real cruise control, I got a little envious of that feature.
 
I could be wrong but I doubt there would be enough CB 1100 owners wanting a real cruise control to justify their efforts.
 
Thread starter
Yes, the cost for the kits are quite high, but understandable to me. The company is giving you an electric actuator to operate the throttle cables, extra throttle cables, a bike specific wiring harness set to know speed / engine rpm / and other things and make everything communicate, a device to read engine vacuum, an ECU to control it all, a switch panel on the handlebars to control the ECU, and likely a significant amount of time invested in control algorithm coding to make it all work smoothly just like in a car. That's a lot of stuff, so while I wish the kits were cheaper too, I understand why they cost what they do.

Anyway, I thought it was worth a shot to ask if anyone else had an interest. If lots were interested I was hoping we might initiate a group buy to get him to make a kit if x orders could be guaranteed. But I suspect if I decide to go with a CB1100, I will just use a crampbuster paddle.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Do you want fries with that McCruise control?

I'm not lovin' it!

Cruise control on a motorcycle, what a preposterous idea.
"Preposterous" is a pretty baiting. The OP and many others think cruise control is fine.
 
Tortuga, in theory, I kind of agree with you. But if it could add and hour or two to my ride, because of wrist discomfort, I'd be all about preposterous ideas.



Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Do you want fries with that McCruise control?

I'm not lovin' it!

Cruise control on a motorcycle, what a preposterous idea.
you must not tour much?
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Do you want fries with that McCruise control?

I'm not lovin' it!

Cruise control on a motorcycle, what a preposterous idea.
Something like 10 of our states are larger than the UK, it's fairly easy to burn through a whole tank on our freeways without ever needing to use the brake. I try to avoid routes like that, but sometime you just need to make good time. In situations like this, my throttle hand get uncomfortable way earlier than my butt.
 
First it's cruise control, then it's cup holders...what's next, windshields?

Harumph. In my day we didn't have cruise control, and we liked it that way!
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
First it's cruise control, then it's cup holders...what's next, windshields?

Harumph. In my day we didn't have cruise control, and we liked it that way!
This is the only intelligent rebuff to my comment, and as such the only one I'm responding to.

I agree, the more gadgets to take the strain of riding an inherently unstable, unprotected missile off the overloaded brain of the rider on long, monotonous journeys, the better.

Credits to 'The Spaceman' and 'Darwin'
 
My CB has the 12 ounce stainless steel bar weight/throttle lock. Spring loaded throttle lock holds throttle grip in place using spring tension. Easy to override, provides however many minutes of rest time needed. I live in the western US. Long, straight, nonfreeway roads in some places.
 
A real honest to goodness cruise control would have come in very handy on my recent trip to Cali. I did use a cramp buster, but it's not the same.
 
I feel somewhat responsible for bumping this long dead thread and sparking this debate. :)

I was searching for references to the cramp buster and found this. I like the fact that we do have true CC options, if need be.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
First it's cruise control, then it's cup holders...what's next, windshields?

Harumph. In my day we didn't have cruise control, and we liked it that way!
In my day (mid 80s), I was finishing up a 5500 mi. road trip with a near-Iron Butt last day. A dash from Northern CA to Phoenix. After 16 hours of riding, the vibes from my 750 twin turned my wrist to jelly. 50 miles from home at 3 AM, and my completely numb wrist could not hold the throttle open any longer. I ended up digging through my pack, finding a small set of vise grips and clamping the throttle open for the rest of the ride home. Caveman cruise control! Ughh, ughh, ughh.

Since then I've always had some kind of throttle lock for those long stretches. For the CB11 I was really tempted by the fancy Kaoko bar end lock. Ultimately, my wallet won out and I got a simple Go Cruise in shiny polished aluminum, to go with all of the other shiny bits on the bike. Oddly enough, the Go Cruise operates very much like my improvised vice grip lock of the 80s.
 
Back
Top