MC Accident fatal

rockster5_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I know i post rarely but check here at least every couple days to see what's new in CB1100 world. One of our MC brothers lost his life this morning. I've lived here in the same place for 12 years, go the same route this driver goes every single morning to work. Reportedly he ran a red light. This is 1/8 mile from where I live...God rest him. Can't say this doesn't shake me up a bit, not to mention the wife. Stay safe please.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/08/24/motocyclist-killed-in-crash-with-suv/
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/24/fatal-motorcycle-crash-collwood-54/
 
Hard to win that fight. Promise your wife you won't bust red lights.

RIP rider
 
Looking at this I'm trying to figure out the dynamic of the crash. It appears as if it was a head on, but from the description it sounded like a cross traffic collision.

42ccff53d34ebe9b4d926305ebf2c8c1.jpg
 
rockster5_imp said:
I know i post rarely but check here at least every couple days to see what's new in CB1100 world. One of our MC brothers lost his life this morning. I've lived here in the same place for 12 years, go the same route this driver goes every single morning to work. Reportedly he ran a red light. This is 1/8 mile from where I live...God rest him. Can't say this doesn't shake me up a bit, not to mention the wife. Stay safe please.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/08/24/motocyclist-killed-in-crash-with-suv/
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/24/fatal-motorcycle-crash-collwood-54/
Could have been me. I recall driving downtown here in Seattle one day, a town I know well, when my wife said to me from the passenger seat, "Hon...you just ran a red light!!" Honestly, I had no idea I had done it at all...I must have just checked out for a second, or didn't notice it for some other reason. Just a mistake on my part, I'm not one of those wonderful people who disregards a freshly turned red light as if it were my god-given right to. Either way, we got lucky that day -- no cross traffic. I still think about that day whether in my cage or on my bike...scares me still to ponder what might have happened if my timing hadn't been so lucky. Nobody will likely ever know what made this rider do what he did, but I'll just take it as another reminder to me to pay attention and keep my head in the game always. The pictures are sobering, for sure. -Karl
 
Given my line of work, I get daily email updates from various law enforcement agencies of all serious crime and vehicle accidents that occur within several jurisdictions. The number of motorcycle accidents I read about, so many of them fatal, is sobering. These emails serve as a sad but constant reminder of the danger I face every time I decide to go for a ride. Sometimes, the accidents are reported in the local news along with some information as to the cause. I'm sure like many of you, I pay close attention to any clues as to the hows and whys in hopes that having that information will help me avoid the same fate.

I am convinced that there are those times when an accident is truly unavoidable. I am also convinced that those times are very rare. In most situations, even those when the other driver is clearly at fault, an alert and moderately proficient rider can still avoid most accidents.

rockster5, I live in San Diego as well and received both the law enforcement email as well as saw this one in the news. Truly sad. My thoughts are with the rider's family and friends.
 
Dangers all around us. When you're in the city it's traffic, in remote places it's wild animals. Difficult to look at the photos of the crash scene. Tragic.
 
Life is very fragile. I was almost killed three weeks ago in a car accident (totaled my BMW, other driver's fault.) We cannot let that stop us from living and appreciating the endless joys life has to offer.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Given my line of work, I get daily email updates from various law enforcement agencies of all serious crime and vehicle accidents that occur within several jurisdictions. The number of motorcycle accidents I read about, so many of them fatal, is sobering. These emails serve as a sad but constant reminder of the danger I face every time I decide to go for a ride. Sometimes, the accidents are reported in the local news along with some information as to the cause. I'm sure like many of you, I pay close attention to any clues as to the hows and whys in hopes that having that information will help me avoid the same fate.

I am convinced that there are those times when an accident is truly unavoidable. I am also convinced that those times are very rare. In most situations, even those when the other driver is clearly at fault, an alert and moderately proficient rider can still avoid most accidents.

rockster5, I live in San Diego as well and received both the law enforcement email as well as saw this one in the news. Truly sad. My thoughts are with the rider's family and friends.
when there is a conflict between car and motorcycle for any reason or occasion, motorcycle almost always looses the contention regardless how much experience and luck you have in the the past.
 
I almost ran a stop sign about a month ago when I was on my bike. I stopped like in the middle of the intersection and thought what is wrong with me? I know the road pretty well and have gone that way numerous times in the past. It shook me up.
 
drodg58_imp said:
I almost ran a stop sign about a month ago when I was on my bike. I stopped like in the middle of the intersection and thought what is wrong with me? I know the road pretty well and have gone that way numerous times in the past. It shook me up.
I took a parkway exit too fast the other day. I've known this exit for over 20 years, and that it has a sharp curve at the end. Had to stop uncomfortably quickly and then restart to take the turn. Good thing there was no sand or debris. We can't get distracted out there. Our safety is only as good as what we do in the present moment. No points in the bank for all the good things done in the past, except for the experience.
 
Be careful out there guys!

I've been in two wrecks over the last 30 years and I'm one of the lucky ones.
Because despite my injuries, I'm still walking and talking.

Road awareness is the most important piece of safety gear we have.

RIP to the rider.
 
I think it's common to subconsciously relax mentally near home and on roads we travel frequently. Our brains think... "Heck,, we're on those roads all the time, so no need to be hyper alert, right?"

How many times have you heard of someone dropping their bike either right near their home, up their driveway, or in their garage after a long trip or long ride? I think we say to, ourselves "Ah, we made it!" just a bit too soon.

Vigilance and situational awareness are two things we need to practice, but I also believe luck comes into play a bit too.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I think it's common to subconsciously relax mentally near home and on roads we travel frequently. Our brains think... "Heck,, we're on those roads all the time, so no need to be hyper alert, right?"

How many times have you heard of someone dropping their bike either right near their home, up their driveway, or in their garage after a long trip or long ride? I think we say to, ourselves "Ah, we made it!" just a bit too soon.

Vigilance and situational awareness are two things we need to practice, but I also believe luck comes into play a bit too.
I remember hearing some crazy statistic like 90% of accidents happen within 2 miles of home. I think you hit the nail on the head here-excellent advice.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I think it's common to subconsciously relax mentally near home and on roads we travel frequently. Our brains think... "Heck,, we're on those roads all the time, so no need to be hyper alert, right?"

How many times have you heard of someone dropping their bike either right near their home, up their driveway, or in their garage after a long trip or long ride? I think we say to, ourselves "Ah, we made it!" just a bit too soon.

Vigilance and situational awareness are two things we need to practice, but I also believe luck comes into play a bit too.
To leave my complex I need to make a left and cross 4 lanes less than a block from school all while people are dropping off kids. i never have time to relax my brain. Actually my whole town is over populated and seems I am always on alert riding. I tend to let my mind drift on longer stretches of desolate highway.

We just had a pedestrian die here in town last week struck by a SUV. If it's not on our bike it'll be something else... Old age, cancer, car accident, fire, murder or an act of nature. Life is dangerous and it seems everything is out to kill us humans... But that shouldn't stop us from enjoying the things we do in life.

Rest in Peace brother, :/ looks like he really loved his bike too.
 
Back
Top