MB for the grandkids

Razor

Been there
Thread starter
This project started out while we were camping. Most of the kids were riding around in electric scooters. Decided a gas powered minibike would be cool & different.

Frame was made from spare metal in the shop.
Bought a HF 3hp/79cc engine. Wheels, clutch, brake, chain, throttle, brake lever & pegs were bought through eBay.

Size is a bit smaller than a conventional minibike because one of my grandkids is kinda small for his age. The CT70 handlebars allows for larger rides (3 other grandkids).

some photos



[url=http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/VWMX5Ray/media/496102D2-A82D-4862-97DB-532B62DFA5C9_zpswx5hl8pf.jpeg.html]

[url=http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/VWMX5Ray/media/879A5404-956D-4D5E-803E-EDA095194E83_zpsuqxknatb.jpeg.html]

[url=http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/VWMX5Ray/media/EC22DA2B-89BF-477D-A305-840C76C74330_zpsux8hz4up.jpeg.html]

[url=http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/VWMX5Ray/media/65EEF139-3AB3-4A80-BC17-456A08AD5BEE_zpswiqds8d2.jpeg.html]
 
That is very well done!!

Pics from the other side? I am such an old man in my head after my accident, I am even looking at a minibike and thinking of bad things like hitting a hot muffler or cracking nuts on that top frame bar.

Love the pivoting bars.

You could sell these on Ebay. :)
 
lol many of us old timers started out on mini bikes like that made on box frames using Briggs and Stratton motors before Honda made it onto the country. Yours is fancier than the ones we made, but same concept. A tribute to your abilities. Brings back a lot of memories. Lucky grandkids.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys.


PowerDubs_imp said:
That is very well done!!

Pics from the other side? I am such an old man in my head after my accident, I am even looking at a minibike and thinking of bad things like hitting a hot muffler or cracking nuts on that top frame bar.

Love the pivoting bars.

You could sell these on Ebay. :)
Thanks Josh, here’s the other side. The initial thought on a guard for the centrifugal clutch was just going to be a hoop, but I went ahead and welded in a piece of sheet metal.



No plans on selling them, but here’s what a “kit” might look like.

[url=http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/VWMX5Ray/media/EFBBBF9A-A7BC-46D8-9DFC-F2A24B2706F3_zpsplukik4m.jpeg.html]
 
You amaze me, Razor. What a lovely thing: both to do and the product.

On another topic, how're you going with the 'Wing?
 
Thread starter
Thanks for your interest & kind words!

m in sc_imp said:
.. is that a brake lathe in the background? I haven't seen one of those in years.
Yes, it’s an AMMCO 4000 (vintage, 1977). Use to run a part-time repair shop back in the 90’s. The lathe saw many a drum and rotor. With the advent of the Chinese market; turning rotors became a thing of the past. I still use it for personal use. Made a special tool to turn motorcycle drums :D
 
Ummm, not disagreeing with anyone saying that they wish they had that as a kid, but I wish I had that right now!! Looks like so much freakin fun. You did an amazing job. Looks pro.
 
Thread starter
rotor_imp said:
A fully functional grandfather is one of the most valuable resources a kid can have.
I guess it’s a legacy thing... teach’n em which end of the screwdriver to hold and hopefully they’ll take interest in motorcycling too.
Nemo_imp said:
Wow, Ray! Just when I thought you were done impressing me. :worship:

Super cool! Would you be my grampa?
Thanks Nemo. It was good to see you again.
Rboe_imp said:
Can you add some pannier racks so I could tour on it?:biker:
Not sure about touring, but there’s some discussion about brackets for a rear rack?
 
Back
Top