I have covered 9000 miles since taking delivery of my CB back in March of last year and I am extremely pleased with most aspects of the bike however I have had reason to question the quality of the suspension. The problem probably lies with me rather than the bike as I sometimes push the bike in a way it was not meant to be ridden. Riding with friends on more modern machinery, the pace sometimes becomes a little competitive and here in the UK we don't have many straight roads and I've felt the bike to be not quite as sure footed as I would like it to be and not as positive of other bikes I've owned. With this in mind I have invested in new suspension all round from Maxton Engineering. The front forks were stripped out completely and Maxton internals were fitted comprising of their cartridges, springs and preload spacers and I now have control of rebound damping via a small screw in the centre of the fork leg cap. The rear shockers also have rebound adjustment via a wheel at the top of the unit and more sensitive preload adjustment by way of a wheel at the base of the shocker. The rear shockers have been designed to be 10mm taller than the Honda units as Maxton considered the fork rake angle to be rather stretched. The taller shocks tighten the rake angle to give sharper steering and a slightly more sporty riding position. The whole system was set up on Maxton's rolling road with my weight simulated on the bike. All I need now is some dry, warm weather to test it out.
I was surprised by the design of the Honda front suspension - see my Thread 'Weird Suspension Design'
I was surprised by the design of the Honda front suspension - see my Thread 'Weird Suspension Design'
