Matte Red Paint

Streetshark07_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi, so I did a couple searches on the forum and didn't come up with anything good, searches included "matte red paint" and "matte paint." So here I am, starting A new thread.
I have to admit that the CB1100 isn't the favorite among my bikes, but it still kinda hurts that the tank seems to have been scratched so much (although I'm not sure why to be honest) and this makes me think that a nice matte red paint job for the tank would be a good idea. This makes sense because I've always been partial to red and also because of the abuse the tank seems to take.
Another side question, am I the only one who can never help over filling the tank just a little? Also, does using the center stand help significantly to alleviate this issue? And can you get more fuel in it that way?
Well thanks for whatever responses you might give me!
:thanks: :biker:
 
I recall the first article I read about the CB1100 and there was a whole paragraph dedicated to how amazing the paint finish was. I would coat it in 3M plastic (i can't recall the actual name of the product at the moment). That said...matte red could be interesting.

I never overfill my tank. I think that putting in on the center stand helps, but that's a personal preference. I only fill the tank to the base of the neck. I don't have to deal with those accordion things on the nozzle where I live, which I hear creates its own difficulties.

I don't know if I get more fuel on the center stand or on the side stand, but I stopped worrying about that about 10,000 miles ago when I realized that if refuel whenever I have to pee or every 130 miles whichever comes first.
 
Thread starter
I live in Hawaii where I get 46 MPG at best and I'm not likely to have the guts to shoot for more than about 115-120 on a tank. It's also unfortunate that 3.9 gallons is a lot less than I've expected this tank to be capable of holding.
 
46 mpg at 3.9 is right at 180 miles. I got better mileage than you but I routinely went 180 miles on my 3.9 gal tank and still had 1/2 gal left. I would think you could safely go 150 and still have 1/2 gal left in reserve.
 
Thread starter
I play it really safe because the traffic here can get scary as heck. Never saw the CB do this badly, but my tuned all to blazes Triumph SpeedBasterd got down to about 20 mpg on one scary azzed day
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I recall the first article I read about the CB1100 and there was a whole paragraph dedicated to how amazing the paint finish was. I would coat it in 3M plastic (i can't recall the actual name of the product at the moment). That said...matte red could be interesting.

I never overfill my tank. I think that putting in on the center stand helps, but that's a personal preference. I only fill the tank to the base of the neck. I don't have to deal with those accordion things on the nozzle where I live, which I hear creates its own difficulties.

I don't know if I get more fuel on the center stand or on the side stand, but I stopped worrying about that about 10,000 miles ago when I realized that if refuel whenever I have to pee or every 130 miles whichever comes first.
Dang, how young are you ES? 130 miles without stopping to pee? Fuel is usually the least of my worries. :blush:


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
I don't use the center stand OR the side stand. I keep the bike level and upright by not getting off it at the pump. After that it's just keeping an eye on the fuel as it rises in the tank. Don't pull the pump full on, more like half way. Never had an overfill.


Sent from an undisclosed location
 
I fill the tank from the left side of the bike with the side stand down. Never over filled it once, just peak inside the tank while filling it...stop when it gets to the neck of the tank. And yes, I pee first too!
 
Thread starter
To whoever had calculated for me that I was good for upwards of 180 miles, my latest check said I was at about 43 mpg and that meant about 170 miles on a tank (trust me, I can't show my work just right now, but it's legit). I think it's interesting though that the computer said about 35 miles were left at about 96 miles on the tank's odometer, but it is the same about 10 miles later. I'm going to see if I can get 160 miles out of it, but you know it's bound to scare anybody when the guage starts flashing at about 95 miles in! Gets my notice anyway.
 
Last time we calculated on 46 mpg x 3.9 gals = 179.4 miles to pushing. At 43 mpg you must spend a fair amt of time at either stop lights, in the upper rev zone or above 70 mph. The worst tank I ever got was 50 mpg and that was when it was brand new. I ave between 57 and 62 mpg now but don't do much of the stuff listed above.

yes blinking light gets your attention, and make you worry lol. It will eventually start counting down if you get low enough from about 60 miles to empty (it will also for some crazy reason jump between count down and odometer) however if at anytime during the count down if you turn off the ignition, it gets confused, then all bets on how many miles you have left is off the table. Get gas as soon as possible. It's valuable to know how many miles you can get out of a tank "just in case".
 
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
I don't use the center stand OR the side stand. I keep the bike level and upright by not getting off it at the pump. After that it's just keeping an eye on the fuel as it rises in the tank. Don't pull the pump full on, more like half way. Never had an overfill.


Sent from an undisclosed location
You would not be allowed to do that in Australia.
 
Never once did I ever care to even look at my fuel milage. I just fill up and ride. I live in an area where finding a gas station is not an issue. The way I ride I'm never going to get optimal gas milage anyway. In regards to scratches on the tank, wondering if you use a tank bag because that will leave some marks if you don't wax the crappie out of the tank frequently. Matt paint has no clear coat and will scratch just as easily. As far as filling us the bike don't go past the bottom of the filler neck and you won't have a problem. I don't recommend filling up while still sitting on a hot bike. Good way of possibly setting yourself on fire if you have a mishap.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Last time we calculated on 46 mpg x 3.9 gals = 179.4 miles to pushing. At 43 mpg you must spend a fair amt of time at either stop lights, in the upper rev zone or above 70 mph. The worst tank I ever got was 50 mpg and that was when it was brand new. I ave between 57 and 62 mpg now but don't do much of the stuff listed above.

yes blinking light gets your attention, and make you worry lol. It will eventually start counting down if you get low enough from about 60 miles to empty (it will also for some crazy reason jump between count down and odometer) however if at anytime during the count down if you turn off the ignition, it gets confused, then all bets on how many miles you have left is off the table. Get gas as soon as possible. It's valuable to know how many miles you can get out of a tank "just in case".
Ad nauseum I have said that we have a traffic problem in Hawaii, so when my CB1100 is getting 43 MPG it's doing a lot better than my SpeedBasterd is at around 30 MPG, which is still about twice as good as my Corvette at around 14 MPG on average! My Sprint St gets the 1st place trophy at close to 50 MPG though!

-StreetShark
 
My Griso is a satin green. Looks very nice so I'd recommend at least checking out the satin finish vs. flat. Moto Guzzi has (in Europe) used a satin Halloween Orange (kinda like a burnt pumpkin orange) and a satin yellow. Just to toss couple other options at you. :)
Out in the West (especially when touring in Nevada) good mileage and range can be critical; it can be 140 miles or more between gas stations (assuming said station is open and has gas). Besides; one reason I ride a bike; cheaper transportation. If I can't get close to 50mpg it makes more sense to take a car. To me.
 
Thread starter
Rhoe, thanks, I will definitely keep this option in mind. I just don't much care for solid black as a color option for my vehicles.
 
Thread starter
I couldn't hold out to see if I could get 160 miles outta the tank and that's probably a good thing I wussed out early, since when I stopped for gas at about 122 miles and I filled it up, my gas mileage was just 36.135 mpg! Thats nearly as bad as my racing carburetors drag bike.
By the way, the last reading from the Honda had said average mpg's was better than 44. Well, now I know!
 
This topic has me wondering how others fill the tank on this bike. I don't know why, but it seems like a pain compared to my last bike. But it was a Yamaha roadliner with a long tank and filler on the right side. When it was on the side stand, it was easy to fill with the filler about straight up. I haven't really gotten a good routine down on this bike. My last one I had since new also, sure I'll get used to this.

On the subject of matte or flat paint... You can get matte or flat clearcoat to make any color flattened, but keep it protected. I think Eastwood has both. Another place to look is tcpglobal.com with their hot rod flatz line. They have everything from the normal flat black to pearls, metallics, and more. A vinyl wrap would be a good option, protecting your original paint and removing when desired. You can get vinyl wraps in almost any color amd degree of flatness.
 
ryan, for me it's bike on side stand, me stand on the left, operate gas nozzle with left hand peering into hole, fill to lower part of neck. Never an issue.
 
Me? Usually on the centre stand. But I've not detected any difference in capacity filling it on the side stand.
 
Back
Top