Matching helmet/Shoei NeoTec review

Papa Weeley_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I have to say that I'm not the kind of guy that's been concerned about my helmet matching my bike. It might just be that I've usually had more than one bike in the garage, which could make that a difficult proposition, but it's just never been an issue. I mean, I try to make sure that I don't look like a mis-matched dork gear-wise, but matching gear to the bike wasn't really a thought.
Then I saw Motogeezer's recent helmet buy that matched his red '14, and I couldn't help but think "dang, that looks great!". So Jim, this is all your fault! :D
I'd been wanting a modular helmet now that I only have two "standard" bikes (the venting is different on helmets to suit upright, touring or sportbike postures on various bike), and when I saw that the NeoTec came in a color very similar to the red on my '13, I had to check it out. I'll add here that I've only worn Shoei helmets for about 35 years - they just fit me right, and I love the quality.
Well, Chaparral had them in stock, and as usual the fit was just right. Then hearing that they were on sale made it a no brainer. (MSRP is $663; they were on sale, plus I got an additional 10% off as a regular/repeat customer - final cost $537)
I thought that it would be fairly heavy, given all the extra pieces involved, but it actually feels lighter than my RF1100s, and maybe even a little lighter than my Qwest. The internal flip-down visor is very cool, works really well, and completely solves the age-old problem of having to change faceshields for day or night riding. It's a mixed-bag when it comes to noise: it isolates outside noise much better than my other helmets - it seems much better insulated - but seems to create more wind noise at speed (around 60 and above), that sounds like it's coming from right around the ear areas on both sides. Most of all, the venting is phenomenal - much better than any of my other helmets. I had to stop for gas on my first outing with it, and I have to say that being able to flip up the whole front of the helmet to be able to see what you're doing while you're messing with our PITA California gas nozzles is awesome, too.
The color isn't exactly like I had it custom painted to match the bike, but it's so danged close, I'm guessing most people couldn't tell it wasn't if seen at speed:



I think it looks great. Overall, I'm really happy with the choice. :thumbsup:
 
Nice. I love my modulars for many reasons, including the one you used. Much easier with glasses too, or taking a swig out of my water bottle, or talking to someone. I find when I wear one of my full faces when I stop for something, I involuntarily thumb the mouth piece looking for the release button. When you are riding along if you hunch your shoulders up by your helmet the noise will decrease significantly indicating that indeed is where the air noise is coming from. I don't know how to stop it, and either do helmet mfgs apparently, and you can't keep my shoulders hunched all day so we must live with it lol. Most people wear ear plugs.
 
Nice!

I have a Quest and I just don't see it as being quiet at all. Even with earplugs.
 
Thread starter
Really. Funny, I find my Qwest pretty quiet wind-wise, even though it doesn't seem as "insulated" as either the RF or the Neo-Tec.
 
PapaWheely. Thanks for posting this and for the great picture. Bike and bash hat look fantastic. I have been considering a red modular helmet my self and your write up has further helped me to make a decision.
Thinking about this has made me..:rofl: What if a large number of red CB owners happened to get together for a group ride all wearing matching lids. We would look pretty funny. Still I think it's a nice combo.
Ride safe.
 
I love my Neotec! Best $600 I've spent on motorcycle gear. My old helmet was a Scorpion full face with the internal sun visor and that feature was a must on my next purchase. I was really up in the air on modular vs full face, so it came down to the Neotec and GT Air. Being able to pop open the front end is so nice at traffic lights and to run inside a store. I always felt like a creep leaving my helmet on if I went inside at a convenience store since I'm sure it makes some people nervous.
 
Nicely done. I got a white neotec this past winter and really enjoyed having it. When I resume riding again it will be a joy to wear it again. I really like those mirrors, wouldn't mind changing out to those in the future.
 
Thread starter
the_undecider_imp said:
I love my Neotec! Best $600 I've spent on motorcycle gear. My old helmet was a Scorpion full face with the internal sun visor and that feature was a must on my next purchase. I was really up in the air on modular vs full face, so it came down to the Neotec and GT Air. Being able to pop open the front end is so nice at traffic lights and to run inside a store. I always felt like a creep leaving my helmet on if I went inside at a convenience store since I'm sure it makes some people nervous.
Funny, I bought a GT-Air when they first came out, because I really liked the inside visor. They look great, and are super light. Oddly, I couldn't get a decent fit - and I've worn a Large Shoei for about 35 years, at least a dozen different models - but I couldn't get a L over my head, and the XL fit like an XXXL. :-/
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
the_undecider_imp said:
I love my Neotec! Best $600 I've spent on motorcycle gear. My old helmet was a Scorpion full face with the internal sun visor and that feature was a must on my next purchase. I was really up in the air on modular vs full face, so it came down to the Neotec and GT Air. Being able to pop open the front end is so nice at traffic lights and to run inside a store. I always felt like a creep leaving my helmet on if I went inside at a convenience store since I'm sure it makes some people nervous.
Funny, I bought a GT-Air when they first came out, because I really liked the inside visor. They look great, and are super light. Oddly, I couldn't get a decent fit - and I've worn a Large Shoei for about 35 years, at least a dozen different models - but I couldn't get a L over my head, and the XL fit like an XXXL. :-/
Funny, I bought a GT-Air when they first came out, because I really liked the inside visor. They look great, and are super light. Oddly, I couldn't get a decent fit - and I've worn a Large Shoei for about 35 years, at least a dozen different models - but I couldn't get a L over my head, and the XL fit like an XXXL. :-/
That's really strange I wear a Shoei L and found the Neotec and GT Air in that size to fit well. I would have been happy to wear either model. The decision came down to whether the convenience of a modular was worth the added cost. I wonder if the L GT Air you tried on was mislabeled or had different cheek pads installed.
 
Thread starter
Hmmm...that's a good point. Wish I'd thought of that, now that you mention it. :blush:
I usually buy mine in person (I live near Chaparral Motorsports, which has to be the largest M/C shop in the known universe), but they didn't have any in stock, so I was working through their mail-order service, and was getting tired of waiting for delivery, then returning them, etc.
 
Thread starter
Desert viper_imp said:
Papa, is that color Shoei Wine? Looks great, Randy
Yes it is, Viper. And thanks for the compliment!
We ought to arrange a ride together sometime - I'm just down the road from you in Calimesa. :thumbsup:
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Desert viper_imp said:
Papa, is that color Shoei Wine? Looks great, Randy
Yes it is, Viper. And thanks for the compliment!
We ought to arrange a ride together sometime - I'm just down the road from you in Calimesa. :thumbsup:
Yes it is, Viper. And thanks for the compliment!
We ought to arrange a ride together sometime - I'm just down the road from you in Calimesa. :thumbsup:
I was riding through Palm Springs a few weeks back. Holy crap, that wind!!!
 
Back
Top