Mandatory Tools for Road Trip (2017 model and later)

Alain Lee_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Some of you are planning on the road - major overhauling..:P
:D
Hi Peter, have you ever been on the Manitoulin island (across from Tobermory?

I understand it is a stay over trip.

Regards
Alain

BTW, I am also planning to replace the piston rings with the engine running :D



BTW, I am also planning to replace the piston rings with the engine running :D
:rofl: Now there is a mechanic!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Some of you are planning on the road - major overhauling..:P
:D
Hi Peter, have you ever been on the Manitoulin island (across from Tobermory?

I understand it is a stay over trip.

Regards
Alain

BTW, I am also planning to replace the piston rings with the engine running :D



BTW, I am also planning to replace the piston rings with the engine running :D
:rofl: Now there is a mechanic!
BTW, I am also planning to replace the piston rings with the engine running :D
:rofl: Now there is a mechanic!
WRONG!!, with THAT skills, you are called a tech!! :excited:
 
Houtman_imp said:
You have to be very quick to change the piston rings while the engine is running but it can be done....
Right, but after min 6 beers consumed :beerchug:
 
NGK LMAR8A-9S (stock 6817) spark plugs are available from O’reilly’s for $5.99 each.
 
Are you sure they have the suffix S? The S stands for special washer, which were specifically designed for the CB 1100
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Do you think the 17mm Allen is needed since the left side of the axle is pinched in the fork leg? At home, I use the 17mm Allen equivalent, but I don't carry it with me.

As far as breaking the bead on the rim, no hand tools could do that. There are compact bead breakers that off-road guys carry, but they are heavy and bulky. Besides, by changing to tubeless and carrying a plug kit and a compressor, I think you've done as much as you reasonably can.

You've probably eliminated 98% of the probability of need of taking the tire off.

I also carry a spare oil filler cap (in my bag of fuses) and a folding funnel.
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
The filler cap is just a spare. I've heard of filler caps going mysteriously missing on parked bikes, and the amount of oil that gets sprayed up by the clutch will make an un-rideable mess quickly. Not likely to ever need it, but cheap insurance. (The BMW GS guys have accessory locking filler caps - you know who you are!).

And the funnel just because it's flat and is stored with the owner's manual.
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
The filler cap is just a spare. I've heard of filler caps going mysteriously missing on parked bikes, and the amount of oil that gets sprayed up by the clutch will make an un-rideable mess quickly. Not likely to ever need it, but cheap insurance. (The BMW GS guys have accessory locking filler caps - you know who you are!).

And the funnel just because it's flat and is stored with the owner's manual.

Hi Pekingduck, After reading your comments, I went back to the bike and use a "Channel lock" (water pump) plier to tighten the filler cap (mine is a metal one with a built-in temperature gauge) - Just In Case :thanks:
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Do you think the 17mm Allen is needed since the left side of the axle is pinched in the fork leg? At home, I use the 17mm Allen equivalent, but I don't carry it with me.

As far as breaking the bead on the rim, no hand tools could do that. There are compact bead breakers that off-road guys carry, but they are heavy and bulky. Besides, by changing to tubeless and carrying a plug kit and a compressor, I think you've done as much as you reasonably can.

You've probably eliminated 98% of the probability of need of taking the tire off.

I also carry a spare oil filler cap (in my bag of fuses) and a folding funnel.
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
The filler cap is just a spare. I've heard of filler caps going mysteriously missing on parked bikes, and the amount of oil that gets sprayed up by the clutch will make an un-rideable mess quickly. Not likely to ever need it, but cheap insurance. (The BMW GS guys have accessory locking filler caps - you know who you are!).

And the funnel just because it's flat and is stored with the owner's manual.
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
The filler cap is just a spare. I've heard of filler caps going mysteriously missing on parked bikes, and the amount of oil that gets sprayed up by the clutch will make an un-rideable mess quickly. Not likely to ever need it, but cheap insurance. (The BMW GS guys have accessory locking filler caps - you know who you are!).

And the funnel just because it's flat and is stored with the owner's manual.

Hi Pekingduck, After reading your comments, I went back to the bike and use a "Channel lock" (water pump) plier to tighten the filler cap (mine is a metal one with a built-in temperature gauge) - Just In Case :thanks:
Does this mean you now have to carry the water pump pliers with you? :dodgy:
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Do you think the 17mm Allen is needed since the left side of the axle is pinched in the fork leg? At home, I use the 17mm Allen equivalent, but I don't carry it with me.

As far as breaking the bead on the rim, no hand tools could do that. There are compact bead breakers that off-road guys carry, but they are heavy and bulky. Besides, by changing to tubeless and carrying a plug kit and a compressor, I think you've done as much as you reasonably can.

You've probably eliminated 98% of the probability of need of taking the tire off.

I also carry a spare oil filler cap (in my bag of fuses) and a folding funnel.
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
The filler cap is just a spare. I've heard of filler caps going mysteriously missing on parked bikes, and the amount of oil that gets sprayed up by the clutch will make an un-rideable mess quickly. Not likely to ever need it, but cheap insurance. (The BMW GS guys have accessory locking filler caps - you know who you are!).

And the funnel just because it's flat and is stored with the owner's manual.
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
The filler cap is just a spare. I've heard of filler caps going mysteriously missing on parked bikes, and the amount of oil that gets sprayed up by the clutch will make an un-rideable mess quickly. Not likely to ever need it, but cheap insurance. (The BMW GS guys have accessory locking filler caps - you know who you are!).

And the funnel just because it's flat and is stored with the owner's manual.

Hi Pekingduck, After reading your comments, I went back to the bike and use a "Channel lock" (water pump) plier to tighten the filler cap (mine is a metal one with a built-in temperature gauge) - Just In Case :thanks:
Does this mean you now have to carry the water pump pliers with you? :dodgy:
Does this mean you now have to carry the water pump pliers with you? :dodgy:
Good point
The multipurpose Swiss knife plier will do the job to loosen the filler cap.
The filler cap was tighten just enough so that it is very difficult to loosen it by hand but easier via the swiss plier.
Regards
 
With a chance that my response is less than popular, ...
and since any sort of toolbox takes space I don't have on my trips, I ask myself
- would I like to do repairs by the roadside in a noisy, dirty environment ? No.
- would I have all necessary tools and supporting equipment (think how do I lift the front wheel) to do the job efficiently and professionally ? No.
- if not, could I likely repair and do enough miles afterwards to get my bike to a proper repair shop, or is it more likely that I take risks (like riding on a badly repaired tire, or with low pressure etc.) ? Yes.
- is it major uncool to just call roadside assistance and get the bike hauled in ? Noops.

Of course I am not talking about trips like a Sahara crossing or with polar ice in sight, but within Western Europe, or the Eastern U.S., I hope Honda reliability and cell phone coverage will get me home in one piece and all the time.

Any thoughts ?
 
j3gq_imp said:
With a chance that my response is less than popular, ...
and since any sort of toolbox takes space I don't have on my trips, I ask myself
- would I like to do repairs by the roadside in a noisy, dirty environment ? No.
- would I have all necessary tools and supporting equipment (think how do I lift the front wheel) to do the job efficiently and professionally ? No.
- if not, could I likely repair and do enough miles afterwards to get my bike to a proper repair shop, or is it more likely that I take risks (like riding on a badly repaired tire, or with low pressure etc.) ? Yes.
- is it major uncool to just call roadside assistance and get the bike hauled in ? Noops.

Of course I am not talking about trips like a Sahara crossing or with polar ice in sight, but within Western Europe, or the Eastern U.S., I hope Honda reliability and cell phone coverage will get me home in one piece and all the time.

Any thoughts ?
I am in agreement - on most trips, the failure will be either a flat tire or a dead battery, or lost nuts and bolts that you didn't tighten properly. A tire plug kit and air compressor/CO2 bottles/pump and a Li-Ion battery jumper. A pair of pliers, screwdriver, 10, 12, 14 wrenches.

Having said that, I have way too much time on my hands, so compiling a useful tool kit is as good as doing anything on the bike besides riding it.
 
j3gq_imp said:
With a chance that my response is less than popular, ...
and since any sort of toolbox takes space I don't have on my trips, I ask myself
- would I like to do repairs by the roadside in a noisy, dirty environment ? No.
- would I have all necessary tools and supporting equipment (think how do I lift the front wheel) to do the job efficiently and professionally ? No.
- if not, could I likely repair and do enough miles afterwards to get my bike to a proper repair shop, or is it more likely that I take risks (like riding on a badly repaired tire, or with low pressure etc.) ? Yes.
- is it major uncool to just call roadside assistance and get the bike hauled in ? Noops.

Of course I am not talking about trips like a Sahara crossing or with polar ice in sight, but within Western Europe, or the Eastern U.S., I hope Honda reliability and cell phone coverage will get me home in one piece and all the time.

Any thoughts ?
I have no problem with that. I also am fortunate to never have used it either. I have had to push the CB1100 a couple of times to get it started, and that was cool ... that is, that it re-started. :)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
With a chance that my response is less than popular, ...
and since any sort of toolbox takes space I don't have on my trips, I ask myself
- would I like to do repairs by the roadside in a noisy, dirty environment ? No.
- would I have all necessary tools and supporting equipment (think how do I lift the front wheel) to do the job efficiently and professionally ? No.
- if not, could I likely repair and do enough miles afterwards to get my bike to a proper repair shop, or is it more likely that I take risks (like riding on a badly repaired tire, or with low pressure etc.) ? Yes.
- is it major uncool to just call roadside assistance and get the bike hauled in ? Noops.

Of course I am not talking about trips like a Sahara crossing or with polar ice in sight, but within Western Europe, or the Eastern U.S., I hope Honda reliability and cell phone coverage will get me home in one piece and all the time.

Any thoughts ?
I have no problem with that. I also am fortunate to never have used it either. I have had to push the CB1100 a couple of times to get it started, and that was cool ... that is, that it re-started. :)
you mean ... downhill ?
 
j3gq_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
With a chance that my response is less than popular, ...
and since any sort of toolbox takes space I don't have on my trips, I ask myself
- would I like to do repairs by the roadside in a noisy, dirty environment ? No.
- would I have all necessary tools and supporting equipment (think how do I lift the front wheel) to do the job efficiently and professionally ? No.
- if not, could I likely repair and do enough miles afterwards to get my bike to a proper repair shop, or is it more likely that I take risks (like riding on a badly repaired tire, or with low pressure etc.) ? Yes.
- is it major uncool to just call roadside assistance and get the bike hauled in ? Noops.

Of course I am not talking about trips like a Sahara crossing or with polar ice in sight, but within Western Europe, or the Eastern U.S., I hope Honda reliability and cell phone coverage will get me home in one piece and all the time.

Any thoughts ?
I have no problem with that. I also am fortunate to never have used it either. I have had to push the CB1100 a couple of times to get it started, and that was cool ... that is, that it re-started. :)
you mean ... downhill ?
you mean ... downhill ?
I wish actually. It would have been easier.
 
Back
Top