Roadside Repair Kits

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
I was re-organizing my tire repair kit and mini tool kit recently. I decided to take some photos of what's in them. It would be interesting to find out what others are carrying in their kits.

Here's everything as packed on the bike:
21eca7d5f2b5ed520e316634d57806a8.jpg


The tire repair kit has:[ul] [li]a mini bottle of Slime for slow leaks that can be found/plugged[/li] [li]a Dynaplug mini air compressor[/li] [li]CO2 cartridges in case compressor doesn't work[/li] [li]insulating sleeves for the CO2[/li] [li]a regulator for the CO2[/li] [li]a Stop & Go plug kit with special insertion tool (inside purple bag)[/li] [li]a box cutter for cutting off the outer end of the plug[/li] [li]a digital pressure gauge (I think I will add a mechanical pencil gauge)[/li] [li]a flashlight[/li] [li]cases
[/li][/ul]
Tire Repair Kit
dc09b6f6ef63ae44ec4f881f6e28af19.jpg


The contents of the mini tool kit are pretty self-evident. Some interesting items are the composite-handle 1/4" ratchet wrench (very light weight), the the very basic stamped-steel ratchet for use with hex bits, the mini vise-grips, silicone rescue tape, electrical tape, double-sided Velcro tape, fuses, and a very thin flat blade screw driver...just because you never know when it might come in handy.

Mini Tool Kit
313eff92b3db85696b6e1945b7f01548.jpg
 
I am all for "Slime". Had to use it once and it worked perfectly. I don't recall replacing the tire. :-/

Do you have a valve core remover/inserter in your kit? (so the Slime can be poured into the tire). Or does it come built-in the Slime cap? The other alternative is a valve cap that has it built-in.
 
Thread starter
Yes, the Slime bottle comes with a valve core removal tool. Great idea, because it's light weight and you don't need to carry a duplicate.
 
I used to carry almost much the same, but strangely stopped doing that. I really should rebuild my kit. Maybe it has something to do with my roadside assistance membership with motorcycle option. It has made me somewhat complacent, however, I haven't [thankfully] used them either.
 
I carry a tire plugging kit, 12V compressor, digital tire gauge (the same one as yours), a pair of dykes cutters, and a set of motorcycle jumper cables, but nothing else.
 
Always and daily, I cary under seat: tire repair kit as above (NO Slime), OEM tool kit ++, 1 spark plug, gloves. When going far away, I may take compressor + a few more things.
:)
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
I carry a tire plugging kit, 12V compressor, digital tire gauge (the same one as yours), a pair of dykes cutters, and a set of motorcycle jumper cables, but nothing else.
Dykes cutter and motorcycle jumper cables :thumbsup:
 
I"ve got about three different plug systems. I've experimented with a bottle of CO2 to inflate a tire. I'm having a hard time getting it full enough. Still needs some work. Carry an air pump too, just not happy with the speed.

I've had to call my wife twice to come rescue me from flats now. sigh. Last year the Griso had a very nasty L shaped cut that was not pluggable. The CB - I messed up and did not have all the tools I thought I had.

On the dual sport ride I was relieved to NOT be the one that got a flat (and found that my CO2 bottle was not charged enough) and we had all the tools - and I had the spare tube.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I"ve got about three different plug systems. I've experimented with a bottle of CO2 to inflate a tire. I'm having a hard time getting it full enough. Still needs some work. Carry an air pump too, just not happy with the speed.

I've had to call my wife twice to come rescue me from flats now. sigh. Last year the Griso had a very nasty L shaped cut that was not pluggable. The CB - I messed up and did not have all the tools I thought I had.

On the dual sport ride I was relieved to NOT be the one that got a flat (and found that my CO2 bottle was not charged enough) and we had all the tools - and I had the spare tube.
If you happen to be an AAA member, you should be able to add a motorcycle option for not much more.
 
We do have AAA coverage for motorcycles. However; for some of the areas I go there's no cell coverage. If you can't call for help then help can't come. sigh.....
 
Rboe_imp said:
We do have AAA coverage for motorcycles. However; for some of the areas I go there's no cell coverage. If you can't call for help then help can't come. sigh.....
Understood. Similar to what Django experienced in the desert states. Not surprising in mountain ranges, but I thought by 2019 [the flat parts of] the desert would be covered at the very least 2G. Guess not quite so.
 
If you look at coverage maps you'll see big gaps of coverage in the mountain states. sigh
 
Thread starter
One bad thing about AMA: they'll retrieve your bike if you break down. However, if you wreck then they won't come to your aid. My buddy had AMA and his wife went off the road on her CTX700 on Tail of the Dragon due to target fixation. She wasn't hurt thankfully because she just rode into a grassy ditch and didn't hit anything. But the bike was nearly unrideable. There's no cell service on the Dragon or at Deal's Gap either. After struggling to reach AMA on the Deal's Gap land line, he found out that they would not come to their members' aid for an accident. He coasted the wrecked bike back to the 'resort' and called a towing service on his own to take the bike to a shop, where it was subsequently totaled.
 
Stichill_imp said:
One bad thing about AMA: they'll retrieve your bike if you break down. However, if you wreck then they won't come to your aid. My buddy had AMA and his wife went off the road on her CTX700 on Tail of the Dragon due to target fixation. She wasn't hurt thankfully because she just rode into a grassy ditch and didn't hit anything. But the bike was nearly unrideable. There's no cell service on the Dragon or at Deal's Gap either. After struggling to reach AMA on the Deal's Gap land line, he found out that they would not come to their members' aid for an accident. He coasted the wrecked bike back to the 'resort' and called a towing service on his own to take the bike to a shop, where it was subsequently totaled.
Gee, all-round bummer experience for sure.
 
Going back to carrying tire repair kits, I USED to carry a smaller/compact motorcycle tire patch/plug kit with the 2 smaller and shorter tools.

We had a fella on a R1200RS have a rear tire flat at “The Junction”, a common but less well known congregation spot than the famous Alices in the SF Bay Area. After removing the small nail, It was a real biotch trying to file the tire with the compact MC kit and this very nice local kid in a pickup truck brings out his heavy duty patch kit for cars/trucks which basically has longer handles for the file and plugger and gets her done in a couple of minutes. Seriously !!

I’ve since carried a larger kit more of a car/tire spec kit since that incident. The tiny air compressor still worked just fine airing his tire up to spec .. cheers


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I stopped carrying a kit a few years ago. I guess I'm tempting fate that nothing will happen to my bike or its tires on the road. With my current commute, I'm just 12 miles door to door, and I'd be stopped on the side of a freeway, not conducive to motorcycle repair. More conducive to calling the office and saying "Come get me, and bring the van."

I have AMA, but signed up at a show recently for a new service that Law Tigers is promoting (Ok, I mainly signed up so the pretty girl would hand me a goody bag full of stuff). Supposedly, if you sign up for their program, if you have a problem on the road, you call their 800 number, and they'll connect you with a rider in the area who can come bring you gas, tools, etc. I had to check boxes saying what I would be willing to do for a rider if I were called. Hope I never need it, but nice to know, if it's a real thing and not just a scam to get you to engage their legal services.
 
Back
Top