Mandatory Tools for Road Trip (2017 model and later)

17-CB-002

Been there
Thread starter
Sorry below information applies to 2017 and later models.

I created this post to help other riders prepare a minimum list of mandatory tools required for unexpected repairs during road trip.
All mentions items must be able to fit under the seat except for the air pump.

Electrical issue(s) such as a "No Start" or "No Cranking".
-I have attached a simple hand-drawn copy of the "Starting" and "Ignition" circuits which I copied from the official HONDA Repair Manual.
-Plus a 11x17 copy of the full wiring diagram - which I cannot include due to copyright protection.
-Note: the items above are sealed in a plastic bag (waterproof) and stored under the seat.
-A few feet of electrical tape.

Tubeless Tire puncture Repair Kit
-A plug repair kit (includes the following: a "Reamer", Plug "Insert" tool, a tube of Rubber glue, a knife and a few extra plugs. (see attachment).
-A 90 degree air valve adaptor.
-A compact tire pressure gauge.
-A compact pump is recommended and a separate Tire pressure gauge.

Wrench
-See list of wrenches for different repair.
-Note: For the 22 & 17mm wrenches (Front & Rear tire removal), I cut & got rid of the open end section of the wrench & bent it to use as a tire breaker from the rim. (see attachment).
-The 2 bigger wrenches fits in the the designated U-lock space. (Sorry Peking Duck, I know that you own a U-lock).

Swiss Army Knife
-It includes a plier, knife and other assortment of tools.

Flashlight
-A modified flashlight with 2 external wires that can be hooked up to the 12v battery.
-This can also be used as a flashlight.
-It can also be used to troubleshoot for electrical short circuit.

Spark Plug socket & 1 spark plug.
Due to the exorbitant spark plug price, I carry a previously used (still in good condition) spark plug.


Air plugs
A few extra ear plugs.






more pictures

 
It's always good to be prepared. A flat rear tire is the most likely failure, and you've got that well covered. The front and rear axles takes a 22mm, with a 27mm on the rear axle nut. I have a spare 27mm from a Triumph Bonneville that, with the extension tube, gives 11" of leverage. Don't forget a 12mm box end wrench or socket for removing the calipers.


Although it's not light, and I can't stuff it under the seat, I've started carrying a small Li-ion battery jumpers in my Aerostich. Also a Battery Tender voltmeter that plugs into the charging socket. Not as good as a multimeter, but frankly, I think it's as reliable electrically and mechanically as my car.
 
zirconxi_imp said:
Sure those all can fit under the seat? Mines underseat compartment felt kind of small.
Americans have bigger butts, therefore bigger seats and therefore bigger under seat compartments.... , although Canadian models might be the standard size....
 
Good point LE! Actually, I read a while back where Alain had converted his to tubeless: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14000

Back in the old days before tubeless wire-spoked wheels, we used to replace the rim strip with a couple windings of duct tape. We put an o-ring on the metal valve stem on the inside of the rim. Then another o-ring on the outside with a cupped washer (from an old tube) on top, and finally the stem nut.

It turned a blowout into a slow(er) leak. If the tube tears, it starts wadding up and the imbalance becomes really violent, (like when you're washing 3 pairs of jeans and they all migrate to the same side on spin).

So it made me wonder about plugging a tire with a tube in it. I think, if the puncture doesn't tear the tube, and with the tire plugged and filled, there might be a good chance you can limp somewhere safe.
 
My tool kit has similar items, but I'm able to put in a CO2 inflator with 4 cartridges, and still have my Kryptonite in there. (I know, 4 cartridges may only get me about 20-25 psi, but I can limp somewhere on that).

 
Thread starter
zirconxi_imp said:
Sure those all can fit under the seat? Mines underseat compartment felt kind of small.
Yes, everything fits under the seat except as mentioned the air compressor.


LongRanger_imp said:
Great list! Thanks for sharing.

But I’m confused — I thought the 2017 EX models had tube tires, not tubeless.
Yes, Pekingduck is correct, I converted to tubeless and it worked very well.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
It's always good to be prepared. A flat rear tire is the most likely failure, and you've got that well covered. The front and rear axles takes a 22mm, with a 27mm on the rear axle nut. I have a spare 27mm from a Triumph Bonneville that, with the extension tube, gives 11" of leverage. Don't forget a 12mm box end wrench or socket for removing the calipers.


Although it's not light, and I can't stuff it under the seat, I've started carrying a small Li-ion battery jumpers in my Aerostich. Also a Battery Tender voltmeter that plugs into the charging socket. Not as good as a multimeter, but frankly, I think it's as reliable electrically and mechanically as my car.
Pekingduck, Yes I do have the 22 & 27 mm tool (like yours) plus the extension tube from my CBX's & CBR600F, however, I did not want to carry excess tools (storage space is at premium). With the 2 modified wrenches (22 & 27) hopefully, I can use to separate the tire from the rim (never put to the test yet but in theory should do the job) therefore, I opted for tools with double duty at the sacrifice of losing the capability of carrying a U-lock like yours which I really like.
Yes, as you mentioned the 12 & 10 mm box end wrench is a must and also a few spare fuses which I forgot to mention.
I also forgot to mention the big 17mm Allen that I use to hold the front axle shaft when tightening the nut.
For the plier's, because of multipurpose capability of the Swiss Army knife I opted for it instead of the regular Honda plier.

Proper Tightening of bolts & nuts on the road.
From the previously included "maintenance" list, if one looks closely, there is a "Degrees" column in which I have included the equivalent torque turn angle in degrees, because my logic tells me that no one will carry a torque wrench on road trips, however, there is a need to get the proper tightening torque. So I did my best to recreate as close as possible to the torque spec required. So far this maintenance list is incomplete but I will do my best to update it.
Note: a list of important tools can be acquired by referring to the tools mentioned in the "maintenance" list.

I also includes a pair of rubber gloves and the heavy duty blue paper towel (again double duty - wrap the wrench to reduce rattling noise and to clean our hands).

Why not carry more than 1 spark plug, the answer is very simple - underseat space is at premium.

The net is there because there is room for it for just in case purposes, nothing specific in mind.

I like your idea of the CO2 inflator instead of carrying an air pump - working on it.

Hope the explanation justify the logic and help other put a kit ready.
Regards
Alain
 
Do you think the 17mm Allen is needed since the left side of the axle is pinched in the fork leg? At home, I use the 17mm Allen equivalent, but I don't carry it with me.

As far as breaking the bead on the rim, no hand tools could do that. There are compact bead breakers that off-road guys carry, but they are heavy and bulky. Besides, by changing to tubeless and carrying a plug kit and a compressor, I think you've done as much as you reasonably can.

You've probably eliminated 98% of the probability of need of taking the tire off.

I also carry a spare oil filler cap (in my bag of fuses) and a folding funnel.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Do you think the 17mm Allen is needed since the left side of the axle is pinched in the fork leg? At home, I use the 17mm Allen equivalent, but I don't carry it with me.

As far as breaking the bead on the rim, no hand tools could do that. There are compact bead breakers that off-road guys carry, but they are heavy and bulky. Besides, by changing to tubeless and carrying a plug kit and a compressor, I think you've done as much as you reasonably can.

You've probably eliminated 98% of the probability of need of taking the tire off.

I also carry a spare oil filler cap (in my bag of fuses) and a folding funnel.
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Do you think the 17mm Allen is needed since the left side of the axle is pinched in the fork leg? At home, I use the 17mm Allen equivalent, but I don't carry it with me.

As far as breaking the bead on the rim, no hand tools could do that. There are compact bead breakers that off-road guys carry, but they are heavy and bulky. Besides, by changing to tubeless and carrying a plug kit and a compressor, I think you've done as much as you reasonably can.

You've probably eliminated 98% of the probability of need of taking the tire off.

I also carry a spare oil filler cap (in my bag of fuses) and a folding funnel.
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
The filler cap is just a spare. I've heard of filler caps going mysteriously missing on parked bikes, and the amount of oil that gets sprayed up by the clutch will make an un-rideable mess quickly. Not likely to ever need it, but cheap insurance. (The BMW GS guys have accessory locking filler caps - you know who you are!).

And the funnel just because it's flat and is stored with the owner's manual.
 
I carry the honda "tool kit", an adjustable wrench, a tire repair kit, and the toll-free number of my insurance company's roadside assist provider. Oh and a rag or two, mainly to keep the wrench from clanking around.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Do you think the 17mm Allen is needed since the left side of the axle is pinched in the fork leg? At home, I use the 17mm Allen equivalent, but I don't carry it with me.

As far as breaking the bead on the rim, no hand tools could do that. There are compact bead breakers that off-road guys carry, but they are heavy and bulky. Besides, by changing to tubeless and carrying a plug kit and a compressor, I think you've done as much as you reasonably can.

You've probably eliminated 98% of the probability of need of taking the tire off.

I also carry a spare oil filler cap (in my bag of fuses) and a folding funnel.
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
The filler cap is just a spare. I've heard of filler caps going mysteriously missing on parked bikes, and the amount of oil that gets sprayed up by the clutch will make an un-rideable mess quickly. Not likely to ever need it, but cheap insurance. (The BMW GS guys have accessory locking filler caps - you know who you are!).

And the funnel just because it's flat and is stored with the owner's manual.
Hi Pekingduck, since I have room for it, I included it in there - Yes, you are correct, the 2 pinch bolt should do the job.
As for breaking the tire, I prepared for the worst condition and hope for the best .
For severe puncture (big hole?) I have also included a tire patch that is done from inside the tire.

Can you explain about the filler cap and funnel logic. thanks
The filler cap is just a spare. I've heard of filler caps going mysteriously missing on parked bikes, and the amount of oil that gets sprayed up by the clutch will make an un-rideable mess quickly. Not likely to ever need it, but cheap insurance. (The BMW GS guys have accessory locking filler caps - you know who you are!).

And the funnel just because it's flat and is stored with the owner's manual.
Thanks Pekingduck, good idea.
Since I still have the original oil filler cap, I'll keep it as part of the mandatory tools kit and remove the 17mm allen.
 
Lol to tell you the truth, from memory, I have no idea what's in my under seat tool bag, ( havent had the seat off in a couple of years) but on trips, in my tail pack, I carry a tire repair kit with digital tire gauge, a mini led flashlight, and a baggie with maybe 4 oz of GN4 10w30 in a plastic bottle ( never needed) with a shop towel and a home made cardboard folded triangle funnel.

I'm not that mechanically inclined so I only carry tools to do the stuff I think I can do, which is plug a tire or add some oil if needed. I'm not pulling wheels or spark plugs, etc on the side of the road. Other than that I have a AAA card which can get me a 150 mile tow to either home if close enough, a hotel or a Honda dealer.

Bikes have been pretty reliable since I started touring in 1969, 42 states, 2 provinces of Canada and 5 countries in Europe and (knock on wood) I have never had a bike not complete a trip. My little brothers Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado quit on us in Georgia one time in 1972 after riding in 6 hours of rain, but drying out the distributor cap got us back on the road again.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Some of you are planning on the road - major overhauling..:P
:D
Hi Peter, have you ever been on the Manitoulin island (across from Tobermory?

I understand it is a stay over trip.

Regards
Alain

BTW, I am also planning to replace the piston rings with the engine running :D
 
Back
Top