Maintenance Records...

quietguy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I've setup a simple maintenance type spreadsheet to track items completed and mileage ridden...

What do others do or use?
 
I've got a phone app called "moto/bike maintenance." It's free and there are other pay ones out there that may be better. This is backed up with me just writing the mileage on the dates receipts for whatever maintenance I do.
 
Old school.
3 ring binder with printout of maintenance schedule, how-to's section, and listing of what done and when with receipts for purchase of parts and accessories.
Plastic storage box labeled for parts and accessories. Shelf in garage dedicated to motorcycle maintenance supplies.
 
Having four bikes and pushing 80, I don't do a good job of keeping records....Despite retiring from IBM, I still prefer pencil and paper records, however, and so will establish a simple notebook to record major things, such as oil changes, fluid changes and the like for the bikes.

I appreciate the info provided.
 
Thread starter
Everyone seems to have their own, unique and very useful methods of tracking and managing their motorcycle information - I like 'em all.

My many years in accounting is shading my rather simplistic method of keeping tabs on my machines, but it's helpful for me insofar as acting also as a tickler for what needs to be done next.
 
Simple Excel worksheet with standardized service categories so I can easily track maintenance history by category. I can see the date/mileage of each oil change, valve adjustment, tire replacement, etc. I do this for all my vehicles, not just the CB. Accompanying the worksheet is a 3-ring binder containing the actual service records. Most folks just shove their receipts in the glove box. I don't get it.

My dealer diagnosed abnormal camshaft issues on my VW Passat at its 100k service. They told me the repairs would be covered by VW but only if I could prove the car received each of the required 5k oil changes over its life. Their mouth hit the floor when I pulled out the 3-ring binder and provided seven years of receipts.
 
Thread starter
BRAVO, LongRanger!!!

Your attention to detail and proper recordkeeping paid off in spades, plus saved you a ton of money.
 
My little brother is like that. He bought a hose from Sears in 1979 that had a lifetime warranty. A couple years ago it sprung a leak so he took it back to Sears. The guys at Sears says "that hose must be 30 years old, they no longer make that hose". My brother says "then what good is a lifetime warranty?".Tthe guy says "have your receipt?" (figuring he had my brother by the short hairs) and my brother opens his wallet and pulls the receipt out. They gave him a brand new hose with another lifetime warranty lol.
 
Indeed. I forgot to mention that I also record the cost of each service line item, so when I'm feeling especially anal, I can quickly calculate the service cost per mile of operation. My BMW's are expensive on a cost/mile basis. It's interesting to see how my maintenance costs decrease over time (which might be counter-intuitive) but explained by the fact that I'm reluctant to continue to pour money into a vehicle after a certain point -- good money after bad, I suppose. At a certain point, I just let it die a nice, gradual death.

To the Sears lifetime warranty topic, it's true. My dad bought a new Sears battery for our '56 Jag XK140 in April 1965. The car has a weak generator (alternator) and has a tough time keeping the battery charged. We trot down to Sears every few years and demand a replacement. We pull out the receipt and they can't believe it, but they honor it. We've been doing this for 50 years.
 
Longranger I've always had this theory..

pick one of your cars and one of your motorcycles and give me the cost per mile of operation
 
I just keep a strip of paper for each bike magnetically attached to the refrigerator. Whenever I do maintenance or replace consumable parts, I just make a note of the date and mileage on the list.

Since it's on the refrigerator, I see it often and it reminds me when things like oil changes and air filter cleanings are due.

Low tech, but it works for me.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Longranger I've always had this theory..

pick one of your cars and one of your motorcycles and give me the cost per mile of operation
1998 BMW K1200RS vs 1999 VW Passat, both purchased new and both relatively expensive to maintain:

At 100k miles:
BMW: $0.114/mile ($11,428)
VW: $0.057/mile ($5,702)

At 130k miles:
BMW: $0.116/mile ($15,100)
VW: $0.079/mile ($10,200)

The BMW has expensive 12k valve inspections and eats tires every 5-6k miles. The amount above includes a $575 extended warranty that more than paid for itself. I've since reduced the frequency of the valve inspections and they have been fine. Early in the bike's life, I had the dealer perform much of the service, but now I do most of it myself. Doubtful I'll ever sell it.

The VW was always dealer-serviced -- even oil changes. I replaced the car at 195k miles.
 
My maintenance logs hang behind my tool box on little hooks and there's a pen in the toolbox so do the work write it down and put tools away

My mileage calendar sits on the dining room table and mileage is recorded before I even climb out of my riding gear (cause my memory stinks so I write it down as soon as I get off the bike lol)
 
30/31 in December is pretty danged good in your part of the world, Ferret. Well done! :thumbsup:
 
Thanks Cormanus, we've had a pretty mild winter so far.

Just for grins I just looked up last years record and I think you will find this amazing... I did


Dec 2015 30/31 2185 miles
Dec 2014 28/31 2180 miles
 
Two mild winters then!
 
Back
Top