̴m safe, or IMSAFE

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Few insights from aviation do apply to riding a m/c.
Here is one that does, the idea is very simple. The pilot (here rider) asks himself, while still on the way to the airport “am I fit to fly or take the controls?”

In order to make sure, nothing gets overlooked in the heat of the day he uses what’s called a mnemonic (if unfamiliar look the term up on wiki).
And the mnemonic on hand is called IMSAFE, standing for
I-llness (am I ill ?)
M-edication (did I ...
S-tress (am I ...
A-lcohol
F-atigue
E-motion

Looks to me as this applies one to one to riding a m/c. If you think you know a valid exception post it below. Good thing is, like with all mnemonics, it’s very easy to remember.
 
j3gq_imp said:
Few insights from aviation do apply to riding a m/c.
Here is one that does, the idea is very simple. The pilot (here rider) asks himself, while still on the way to the airport “am I fit to fly or take the controls?”

In order to make sure, nothing gets overlooked in the heat of the day he uses what’s called a mnemonic (if unfamiliar look the term up on wiki).
And the mnemonic on hand is called IMSAFE, standing for
I-llness (am I ill ?)
M-edication (did I ...
S-tress (am I ...
A-lcohol
F-atigue
E-motion

Looks to me as this applies one to one to riding a m/c. If you think you know a valid exception post it below. Good thing is, like with all mnemonics, it’s very easy to remember.
Words to live by
 
A slight variation of this has been used by ROSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) for motorcyclists in the UK & Ireland for a very long time and is part of the Motorcyclists Roadcraft Manual!. Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook.

IAMSAFE

I = illness
A = attitude
M = medication
S = sleep
A = alcohol
F = food
E = emotions
 
IMSAFE is an excellent concept.

Along this same topic, here are a few "rules" that our riding group put together about 25 years ago after the loss of a riding buddy. We printed them up on cards and I still keep one in my tank bag. It's titled "Rules Of The Ride" and they have served us well. I should add that the rules were formulated, and kept relatively brief, by a small group of senior riders/racers that had (and have) literally millions of riding/racing miles. Maybe others will see some value in the rules.

1) Pick your spots, evaluate the conditions thoroughly and ride your own pace! Do not play catch-up or keep-up. Never ride your motorcycle beyond the level where the feelings of fun and enjoyment turn to anxiety and hurry.
2) Leave a bubble of space between you and other riders/vehicles. Avoid violating each others space, particularly on a riders right-hand side.
3) Never pass a rider who is either in a position to pass another vehicle, potentially going to pass another vehicle or is passing another vehicle.
4) In tight traffic, pass vehicles one rider at a time. Always pass in a matter that the rider ahead of you is not required to make room for you to complete your pass.
5) Before bringing a new rider into the group, you must have ridden with that person enough to have evaluated his or hers abilities, experience, maturity and equipment. You are their sponsor and will take the heat for, or get the credit for whom you bring in. Obviously the new rider must demonstrate proper riding behavior and be familiar with these rules
 
I find a ride is the best thing when Im feeling stressed.
I was very stressed this week, just got back from a 5hr ride around the Coromandel, feeling much better now.
 
treedoc_imp said:
I find a ride is the best thing when Im feeling stressed.
I was very stressed this week, just got back from a 5hr ride around the Coromandel, feeling much better now.
... ridin' iz goood therapy.
 
treedoc_imp said:
I find a ride is the best thing when Im feeling stressed.
I was very stressed this week, just got back from a 5hr ride around the Coromandel, feeling much better now.
You are a fortunate man, indeed. The gym I use has videos of the Coromandel on the treadmill and I love "tramping" along seeing that amazing view. I can certainly see how it would refresh.
 
Thread starter
treedoc_imp said:
I find a ride is the best thing when Im feeling stressed.
I was very stressed this week, just got back from a 5hr ride around the Coromandel, feeling much better now.
Think this is a misunderstanding of the mnemonic. You can be stressed, like from a long work day, and the ride helps to relax. You can be stressed from the death of a fam member, and you’d better consider it twice and don’t ride at all for a while. I hope this makes sense.
The mnemonic reminds you to think about your current condition, it isnt trying to simplify or forego good judgement.
 
I utilized the IMSAFE concept a few evenings ago while my wife and I were making the long drive home home from her Mom's house. She had been looking down at her phone for a while, and looked up just in time to catch two cars passing us at a very high speed, apparently engaged in a road rage issue. With no context on the situation, she somehow thought that I was involved with these guys, and accused me of somehow making a move in traffic that made the other two cars upset.

Her accusation made me:

S-tressed
E-motionally unstable
F-atigued mentally
A-lcohol - I wanted some immediately
M-edication - wanted some of that too

So, I pulled over at the next offramp, and let her drive the rest of the way home.
 
EDITS BELOW:

Gone in 60_imp said:
I utilized the IMSAFE concept a few evenings ago while my wife and I were making the long drive home home from her Mom's house. She had been looking down at her phone for a while, and looked up just in time to catch two cars passing us at a very high speed, apparently engaged in a road rage issue. With no context on the situation, she somehow thought that I was involved with these guys, and accused me of somehow making a move in traffic that made the other two cars upset.

Her accusation made me:

S-tressed
E-motionally unstable
F-atigued mentally
A-lcohol - I wanted some immediately
M-edication - wanted some of that too

So, I pulled over at the next offramp, and let her drive the rest of the way home.
 
Thanks, GO, that is a better assessment.

Needless to say, there wasn't much conversation in the car for the rest of the drive home...
 
I'd be too busy trying to recall what the mnemonic's letters stood for that I'd probably forget to strap on my helmet.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I'd be too busy trying to recall what the mnemonic's letters stood for that I'd probably forget to strap on my helmet.
Understood.

... forgotten until the strap buckle reminded you right in the Adam's Apple. :-/
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I'd be too busy trying to recall what the mnemonic's letters stood for that I'd probably forget to strap on my helmet.
If you really did ... hmm ... don’t worry ‘bout safety, in fact, do not worry no more at all. :clap:
GoldOxide_imp said:
EDITS BELOW:

Gone in 60_imp said:
I utilized the IMSAFE concept a few evenings ago while my wife and I were making the long drive home home from her Mom's house. She had been looking down at her phone for a while, and looked up just in time to catch two cars passing us at a very high speed, apparently engaged in a road rage issue. With no context on the situation, she somehow thought that I was involved with these guys, and accused me of somehow making a move in traffic that made the other two cars upset.

Her accusation made me:

S-tressed
E-motionally unstable
F-atigued mentally
A-lcohol - I wanted some immediately
M-edication - wanted some of that too

So, I pulled over at the next offramp, and let her drive the rest of the way home.
It only proves, SEFAM is not equal IMSAFE.
 
Back
Top