Lube chain with chainsaw oil

I know that this is a "slippery" statement but at one time both Canada and Australia were part of the British Empire so I should have said : an English chain test .....
 
Houtman_imp said:
I know that this is a "slippery" statement but at one time both Canada and Australia were part of the British Empire so I should have said : an English chain test .....
Once upon a time, there were three guys from Australia, Canada and the US drinking beer in Asheville, NC.....
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I know that this is a "slippery" statement but at one time both Canada and Australia were part of the British Empire so I should have said : an English chain test .....
Once upon a time, there were three guys from Australia, Canada and the US drinking beer in Asheville, NC.....
Once upon a time, there were three guys from Australia, Canada and the US drinking beer in Asheville, NC.....
I WOULD LOVE FOR THIS TO HAPPEN !!! i WILL PICK UP THE TAB !
 
Houtman_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
I know that this is a "slippery" statement but at one time both Canada and Australia were part of the British Empire so I should have said : an English chain test .....
Once upon a time, there were three guys from Australia, Canada and the US drinking beer in Asheville, NC.....
Once upon a time, there were three guys from Australia, Canada and the US drinking beer in Asheville, NC.....
I WOULD LOVE FOR THIS TO HAPPEN !!! i WILL PICK UP THE TAB !
Once upon a time, there were three guys from Australia, Canada and the US drinking beer in Asheville, NC.....
I WOULD LOVE FOR THIS TO HAPPEN !!! i WILL PICK UP THE TAB !
OK, accepted, :D
P.S. I may bring with my Lord Popgun...he can sniff out all hidden beer barrels :P
 
It occurs to me that, prior to a certain war of independence, what is now the United States of America was also series of British colonies. Just sayin’.
 
That gear oil demonstration was interesting. It sounded like the egg beater was working harder/under more load in the branded oil though.

Makes me want to get the wifes egg beater into a bowl of bar lube!!!
 
I'd've thought bar lube might well be OK. It can't be too sticky or it would fast become clogged with small particles of sawdust.

When my current aerosol cans run out, I'll be changing to gear oil.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
It occurs to me that, prior to a certain war of independence, what is now the United States of America was also series of British colonies. Just sayin’.
Yes, you are right . When we came to America in 1985 that summer many people asked us if we had the fourth of July in England ; my answer always was NO : we go from the third straight to the fifth of July.
 
I was checking my manual today and believe it or not, the first suggestion is to use 80 or 90w gear oul, then it mentions chain lube. I'll stick with chain wax.
 
The A-man_imp said:
I was checking my manual today and believe it or not, the first suggestion is to use 80 or 90w gear oul, then it mentions chain lube. I'll stick with chain wax.
Proof again that I am always right......
 
Anyone remember the "automatic" chain oilers, many years ago? A buddy bought a brand spanking new Kawasaki 900, it had one and that was the first thing he chucked. It took 90wt gear oil and slung it everywhere.

Nowadays, I spray a lil motorcycle chain oil in a small container, use a very small paint brush to brush a coating on rollers. On the centerstand, turning wheel for good coverage.

I actually use my motorcycle chain oil on my chainsaw. Maybe I should mention this on a chainsaw website .....
 
A couple of our members have automatic oilers, I think.
 
Agree with the flinging, i found the correct amount and frequency of the lubrication in the right place ( inside of the chain with a small brush like you do ) and removing excess on the side like treedoc makes all the difference.
You're right about rotating the wheel and massaging the oil under the rollers and o rings directly after without flinging it off during a ride.
I'm not convinced chain wax will find it's way under the rollers voluntarily, hence the diluted gear oil i use now which crawls in small crivices by design.
On a sidenote the oil that does leave the chain slowly leaves the front sprocket housing as a clear film which makes me think it does not build up too much heavy gunk like heavier lubricants, we'll see.

Keep my eyes open for this magic "Honda " chain spray though, have not seen it here in N.Z. so it may be difficult to obtain, last time i asked for "honda" cooling liquid at the honda dealer they wanted $ 250,00 for 5 litres of 50/50 mix.......it's a small island here.
 
Hard to believe, it was at the east tamaki honda car dealership, i looked the price up on line and expected something around $50. so i asked if i could see the product and i took this picture in the office;


Just to make sure it was the right product, i wanted it to replace the coolant in my new cb1000r just to have the real deal from the start but uhmmm not for that price.
It's probably a mistake but i did not want their problem to become my problem.

Just before that i asked botany honda ( the local honda motorcycle dealership ) for some original coolant, their response: " Honda does not bring it into the country", so i checked and put that reply on the scrapheep.
 
max_imp said:
Agree with the flinging, i found the correct amount and frequency of the lubrication in the right place ( inside of the chain with a small brush like you do ) and removing excess on the side like treedoc makes all the difference.
You're right about rotating the wheel and massaging the oil under the rollers and o rings directly after without flinging it off during a ride.
I'm not convinced chain wax will find it's way under the rollers voluntarily, hence the diluted gear oil i use now which crawls in small crivices by design.
On a sidenote the oil that does leave the chain slowly leaves the front sprocket housing as a clear film which makes me think it does not build up too much heavy gunk like heavier lubricants, we'll see.

Keep my eyes open for this magic "Honda " chain spray though, have not seen it here in N.Z. so it may be difficult to obtain, last time i asked for "honda" cooling liquid at the honda dealer they wanted $ 250,00 for 5 litres of 50/50 mix.......it's a small island here.
:rofl::rofl: Always!!, and I agree with it as well :P :clap:
No further comments needed.:D
 
Thread starter
Originally, the chainsaw oil idea I read from a bicycle community where a chain is needed to be clean and provide a long range between the lubrication cycle. There were many types of lubricants available, however, it all mainly split by:
- too liquid and short lubrication range
- too thick and messy (sticks all dust and dirt on a chain)

Where the chainsaw oil was found as a middle solution, as it's thick and sticky (like honey). Once applied and wiped out - nothing sticks to a chain, and it stays on a chain for a long time.
 
Back
Top