Lower engine knock

airenping_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi all. New member here, but I have read the posts for years. I have a 2013 cb1100 that I bought new. The bike has 1600 miles on it and I pulled it out a couple days ago to go for a ride and the engine started making a knocking noise from the lower end on the right side. I shut it off and decided I should change the oil before I really start freaking out. Drained the oil and it was full of glitter, likely aluminum from the crank bearings I'm guessing since it didnt stick to a magnet. Changed the filter and fresh oil, and still knocks. Oddly enough when on the center stand it was quiet. But as soon as I left it on the side stand for a minuet it started knocking again. Once it starts knocking it doesnt matter if you stand it upright, still knocks. Just to see I checked the balancer adjuster, but that didnt change anything. Sounds to me a crank bearing is gone. Thoughts?

I do have an apptointment with my dealer for them to diagnose, so we shall see.

Quite sad whatever it ends up being on this. Also upsetting since I have cb750 engine that are 40+ years old with no issues and a couple of them sat for 15-20 years in a barn. My bike stays in a climate controlled basement all its life when not on the road.

Thank you all, Ping
 
I would be absolutely shocked if a crank bearing went out on one of these in 200,000 miles, much less 1600.

What weight oil was in there and what did you put back in?
 
Thread starter
I only buy my oil and filters from the dealer. So Honda filters and the Honda oil with the black cap. 10w30 I think. Its only had Honda oil and filters. Based on the miles I've only done 3-4 oil changes total.
 
Hiya. Very low mileage on a 7 year old bike. Has it actually had a first oil change yet? Reason I ask is literally yesterday I dropped the oil on mine, it's first service. In the bright sunshine the drained oil was full of extremely tiny glitter, as you would describe it. There were no bigger bits or anything to raise me any concerns. 1600 miles is hardly run in so that glitter might just be normal.....
 
Could you shoot a quick video (with good audio of the knock) of the bike running and post it?

I bought my 2014 last year with 2,500 miles on it. The bike literally just sat for nearly 6 years; even the tires still had the knobbies on the sides. It still had the original filter and oil in it; the filter's label was eroding. I changed the oil as soon as I could and immediately noticed it ran much smoother and quieter. The only point here being I think these engines are pretty durable, so I am hopeful that its nothing too serious.
 
airenping_imp said:
Hi all. New member here, but I have read the posts for years. I have a 2013 cb1100 that I bought new. The bike has 1600 miles on it and I pulled it out a couple days ago to go for a ride and the engine started making a knocking noise from the lower end on the right side. I shut it off and decided I should change the oil before I really start freaking out. Drained the oil and it was full of glitter, likely aluminum from the crank bearings I'm guessing since it didnt stick to a magnet. Changed the filter and fresh oil, and still knocks. Oddly enough when on the center stand it was quiet. But as soon as I left it on the side stand for a minuet it started knocking again. Once it starts knocking it doesnt matter if you stand it upright, still knocks. Just to see I checked the balancer adjuster, but that didnt change anything. Sounds to me a crank bearing is gone. Thoughts?

I do have an apptointment with my dealer for them to diagnose, so we shall see.

Quite sad whatever it ends up being on this. Also upsetting since I have cb750 engine that are 40+ years old with no issues and a couple of them sat for 15-20 years in a barn. My bike stays in a climate controlled basement all its life when not on the road.

Thank you all, Ping
Technically speaking, it is less likely to hear crank/main bearing knocking, since these are in an axial arrangement/multi-point support design.
What you may hear is connecting rod(s) knocking....based on your description.
As you said, further/correct diag is needed.
Just out of curiosity: is the oil red light on at idling/hot, do you have an oil pressure gauge?
Let us know, please, and good luck!
 
Check your center stand. Is the rubber cushion missing that keeps the stand from making direct contact on the frame?
 
Thread starter
@ Houtman 1600 miles

@ Jfro5687 I'm talking enough glitter to make swirls in the oil. The initial oil that came out was the worst of it.

@ NovaCB1100 I will do that tomorrow. And yes I hope its something simple.

@ peterbaron Yes likey if a bearing it would be the connecting rod. No lights on cold/hot idle/on revs. Yeah I have a gauge, but I will let the dealer fiddle with that.

@ Frulk Center stand is good, but good idea. We listened with stethoscope and loud on the right cover at the end of the crank and loudest on the oil filter.

Dropping it off to the dealer on Saturday, but might be a week or so before they look at it. I will post any finding. Maybe an excuse to get a 14+ engine with 6th gear (if it would even fit).

Thank you all
 
That’s terrible. Sorry
67adbc10bb105b3de5013d7e3bee8885.png
.....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Okay, got three videos for you.

Sorry they are youtube links.

1. Cold start, sounds normal.

2. After a couple minuets, noise starts to come on.

3. About five minuets after cold start and getting louder.

Something I noticed today was after about 10 minuets of running it stopped making the noise at idle. But if you took it just off idle it would make the noise and as you increase the throttle its still there but gets drowned out by exhaust etc.

Thank you, ping
 
Be sure to send the dealer those clips or the link. It may be hard for them to notice something when the engine's warmed up.
 
I once let an old Lancia with too low oil level, so the oilpump "starved" for a fraction of a second during cornering (I saw the red light, but that's already too late).

After that, it made the same awful noise as your videos. After some heart surgery, tt was cured with new conrod bearings (big end) and some grinding on the cranckshaft. Only the bearing surface of two of the four conrods were affected. It lived a long life after that.

But that was an old Lancia which drunk almost as much oil as fuel. I've never seen any oil consumption on my CB.
 
Thanks for sharing. I don't think its a rod knock either. Perhaps maybe it's a collapsed lifter or a valve(s) out of adjustment. Definitely share those videos with the dealer. I hope it is nothing too serious. Good luck.
 
My CB1100 also making such knocking noise after warm up, albeit not as loud. I had to get my ear near to the crankcase to hear it, risking a toast ear. But at idling, definitely can hear a faint knock once warm up. And it change when I engage gear and put on some load. Is there other symptom if the bearings are toasted?
 
A big-end bearing died in my Honda CB175 many, many years ago. I remember only that (a) it wasn’t cheap to fix; and (b) it made a very solid and regular knocking noise (not at all faint) which is what told me something was wrong.
 
Back
Top