Low end sputter, hesitation

NHCB_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Ok guys, so there has been a lot of discussion about this and how to cure it. I love my Cb or at least used to, I think its the most beautiful bike I have seen and I love every thing about it. But Riding slow, like through town or city in traffic steady speed up to 30 miles an hour or so drives me absolutely crazy. It sputters, lightly pops, and feels like something is holding it back. It makes me hate the bike. The bike has a Yoshi slip on, K&N and I did the pairs block. I have tried the throttle twist trick several times. I have sent my ecu to Don twice with no better results, if anything worse. To be honest I noticed no difference in pefromance either, so I feel like I threw that money away. I really didnt send it to him for power gain anyway, just wanted to smooth out the bike. Im thinking about buying a pcv now, but dont know if that will override what Don did or not, Im hoping it does. But I am reluctank to do so as I dont want to keep throwing money at the same problem, I really cant afford to do so. Does anyone have any ideas?
 
Did it do all that before the mods? You might try putting it back to stock and see if that cures the problem. If not, take it in and get it on the diagnostic computer. Troubleshoot logically. Throwing different parts at it may never get to the underlying problem.

After it is right when stock, then add mods and see which one is causing the problem.

I don't know what the K&N mod is, but is it possible you have an air leak?

Just my thoughts
 
Thread starter
Its at any rpm up to about 2900ish. So all low speed riding. After that it smooths out. As for putting it back to stock I cant change the ecu flash. The K&N is an Air filter. I could remove the air filter and pipe but then the flash may be too rich.
 
NHCB,

I see. Well I know there are some smart guys on here. I'm sure they will offer some suggestions.

If it was a carb bike I'd say adjust the carbs. With that K&N mod, I thought maybe there could be an air leak.

I will say my stock '13 does not do that. Runs good and smooth.
 
Thread starter
lemontree_imp said:
whats the throttle trick?
Turn key on, twist throttle to full and back twice, turn key off, then back on and start. Supposedly this resets the tps.
 
NHCB_imp said:
lemontree_imp said:
whats the throttle trick?
Turn key on, twist throttle to full and back twice, turn key off, then back on and start. Supposedly this resets the tps.
Turn key on, twist throttle to full and back twice, turn key off, then back on and start. Supposedly this resets the tps.
NICE...if it's true.

Question, though...a little-bit off-topic...does twisting the throttle with the engine off, squirt raw fuel into the cylinders - as with a carb? When getting dressed for a ride, I like to have a place to park my helmet. The throttle grip is obvious - but I'm obsessive-compulsive about some things and I'm always worried about squirting raw fuel with an inadvertant twist and then not starting it immediately. And letting the raw fuel wash down and get in the crankcase.
 
Just passin,

Fuel injected machines do not squirt fuel when the engine is not running.
 
Thread starter
Does anyone have any ideas? I am going crazy thinking about this. Does anyone know will a pcv override the ecu flash? I really wish I didn't have the flash done, lot of money out the window. Or Could there be another problem I'm not realizing?
 
Quote:The bike has a Yoshi slip on, K&N and I did the pairs block. I have tried the throttle twist trick several times. I have sent my ecu to Don twice with no better results, if anything worse.
Sounds like a lean condition to me. And you have modified the ECU, so who know's what was changed and to what without looking at it.

My stock cb1100 does not have these issues, all I can tell you. Good luck.
 
Thread starter
My bike had the surge/studder and hesitation when it was stock as others mentioned theirs did to. Some said the simple throttle trick fixed it and some said pcv or ecu flash. I did the flash which not only did not cure the problem, I didn't notice anything from it. So I'm wondering if the pcv is the way to go and if it will override the flash. I am very discouraged as I never liked a bike more than this one, but I can't stand riding it now.
 
You need to get with another member and switch bikes. Know of any members close to you? Are you coming to the rally?
 
Thread starter
I know of one a little over an hour away but don't know him well enough to ask to ride his bike. I don't think there's any others in the S.NH area. If there is and your reading this do you mind meeting up? I will say that with the stock exh it is significantly less noticeable because you can't hear it, only feel. So I wonder if others with stock each simply just don't notice it. When I notice something like this I really focus on it and it drives me crazy. So that might be part of it is I just focus on it too much.
 
well you have probably seen me type it before and it is in my sig line

Ride more-worry less




.
 
Thread starter
Haha I know. I say the same thing to my freinds when they're stuck on something, "just ride it" but Im fixated on this...
 
Hmmmm, The day I picked up my bike I didn't notice any sputtering. The next time I rode, it definitely sputtered at low rpms and like NHCB, I was a little perturbed. I needed fuel so I added half a bottle of additive and topped of the tank. I rode it for a few miles after fill up and don't remember if it sputtered. I am assuming not as I didn't notice it. I'm off-isle now so can't go check, but will try tomorrow. Crappy gas in the NE ?
 
Chapomis_imp said:
Hmmmm, The day I picked up my bike I didn't notice any sputtering. The next time I rode, it definitely sputtered at low rpms and like NHCB, I was a little perturbed. I needed fuel so I added half a bottle of additive and topped of the tank. I rode it for a few miles after fill up and don't remember if it sputtered. I am assuming not as I didn't notice it. I'm off-isle now so can't go check, but will try tomorrow. Crappy gas in the NE ?
Mine occasionally runs rough when moving around at walking speed...about 1200 rpm in 1st. Sometimes starts loping or missing and then clears up.

Occasionally it has stalled when starting from a stop. Not luggin it, just flips off like it was killed.

This isn't enough of a problem yet to research. Mostly it runs fine; electrical gremlins...you can't kill them; you can only contain them and keep them to a minimum. Like rats and mice.
 
Back
Top