LOVE TWO-STROKES

peterbaron

Road warrior
Thread starter
Love 2 stokes and cannot forget about them...let me know about your feeling..
When teenage, had 4 - 50cc, 175cc and 2 - 250cc, all one cylinder.
My favourite were: Kreidler, Morbidelli, Derbi and Aprillia..

 
in about 3 years, when my CB is all paid down, i'm going to buy a second bike that i can use as a cadaver for the purpose of learning how to wrench, how to customize, and also so that I can have something significantly different from the CB. One of the big points on my list of features is that I'd like the bike to be way lighter than my CB, with significantly more acceleration.

Because 2 strokes tend to be a lot lighter than 4 strokes considering how much power they produce, a couple of them are still at the top of my list.

an RD350 or 400 is a prime candidate, as is something from the suzuki GT family (on the larger end). I don't know yet whether i'll end up with a 2 smoker when it's all said and done, but i'm undeniably attracted to them.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
in about 3 years, when my CB is all paid down, i'm going to buy a second bike that i can use as a cadaver for the purpose of learning how to wrench, how to customize, and also so that I can have something significantly different from the CB. One of the big points on my list of features is that I'd like the bike to be way lighter than my CB, with significantly more acceleration.

Because 2 strokes tend to be a lot lighter than 4 strokes considering how much power they produce, a couple of them are still at the top of my list.

an RD350 or 400 is a prime candidate, as is something from the suzuki GT family (on the larger end). I don't know yet whether i'll end up with a 2 smoker when it's all said and done, but i'm undeniably attracted to them.
GO for it and good luck with your plans :thumbsup:
 
I bought a Suzuki nGT 750 in Edmonton Alberta after the field season. Great bike. I ran it 6to Syracuse NY and back to Edmonton and back to Syracuse in the period from Oct 75 to oct 76. I hear some people ride during theb the field season. How wierd is that!!
 
I also love two strokes, and I have owned a few in the past. My favorite was a 1977 RD400 that I bought new when I was in college. Sometimes I think about picking up another RD or maybe a Suzuki GT with the ram air, but old bikes are often a lot of work and require time and commitment. These days my enjoyment of two strokes is satisfied by my 1971 Vespa VBC that I found a number of years ago after it had been sitting for many years. The paint is original and it is pretty much a beater, but I do have it to the point where it runs OK and I ride it regularly. It is a two stroke shifter scooter with a manual clutch and a four speed gearbox that is shifted by rotating the left handlebar grip. With the small 8 inch wheels and the lousy brakes, it is pretty much the polar opposite of a CB1100.
 
There is a certain draw to two stroke machines. The sound & smoke will either attract you or send you running.

I like em, I like em a lot! Have a couple of RD350’s. One runs, the other is a future project. Got two GT750’s, both are basket cases. Might get one together or end up selling them both?
apex1_imp said:
I also love two strokes, and I have owned a few in the past. My favorite was a 1977 RD400 that I bought new when I was in college. Sometimes I think about picking up another RD or maybe a Suzuki GT with the ram air, but old bikes are often a lot of work and require time and commitment. These days my enjoyment of two strokes is satisfied by my 1971 Vespa VBC that I found a number of years ago after it had been sitting for many years. The paint is original and it is pretty much a beater, but I do have it to the point where it runs OK and I ride it regularly. It is a two stroke shifter scooter with a manual clutch and a four speed gearbox that is shifted by rotating the left handlebar grip. With the small 8 inch wheels and the lousy brakes, it is pretty much the polar opposite of a CB1100.
That Vespa is way cool. Always wanted one. The newer ones are larger displacement, water cooled and fuel injected.
 
Been there, done that, never again. My rose-colored goggles got completely fogged up.

Recently sold this one for $3000 and laughed all the way to the bank. The license plate is now on my CB.

c6b140c8a746265254bd93622fe75a3b.jpg
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
that's really gorgeous longranger. what made you want to scrap it? was it the maintenance?
Maintenance?

Other than fouling plugs or carbon on pistons/heads, there is not much maintenance.

Beautiful bike, LR!

On a Yamaha single, it only takes maybe 30 minutes to pull head and cylinder, remove piston, skirt the intake side (pre reed valves) and re-assemble.

2 strokes are lighter, fire each revolution (more HP), no valves/cams.
 
I road with z1 guys when I had my GT750. The frame was liquid asyou flogged it. I ran with those guys when I wasn't driving it cross country. I love my CB1100. Those classic bikes were great, but todays bikes, cb1100 is a great machine. I can't believe how hard I ran older bikes. I ride in shorts without a helmet, older bikes scare me sh**less.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Been there, done that, never again. My rose-colored goggles got completely fogged up.

Recently sold this one for $3000 and laughed all the way to the bank. The license plate is now on my CB.

c6b140c8a746265254bd93622fe75a3b.jpg
Is that a '74?
 
It's a '73. It was in excellent cosmetic and running condition with only 18k miles. Autolube pump was intact and still in use. The bike was all-original except for a one-over rebore. HVC Cycle in Lincoln, NE, did the work (highly recommended two-stroke experts).

I loved looking at it but didn't enjoy riding it. Above 50 mph, it was very skittish and unnerving. The suspension was very firm but archaic and the brakes were substandard. Obviously, I'm jaded. As a two-stroke, it begged to be ridden like a dirt bike (i.e. always on the pipe), which got really old, especially around town. I don't miss it.
 
Thread starter
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I'm guessing '73. I have a '73 and '74 that I want to put back together. My engine guy has had the motor for a year now! :(
:huh:..is he waiting for parts, or there is something else??
['LongRanger']
daa10798c9634bb8a72be00f66979e4b.jpg


This one is lovely!
 
Something else. Just can't get him to get to it. If he wasn't a good mechanic that doesn't charge me labor for working on my other bikes I would give him an ear full. As it is I just give him gentle nudges from time to time. It'll happen but I want to be blowing blue smoke now!
 
Thread starter
...here, we are talking about beauty and sound not stinking oil burner...:P
Alprider, we need some classy pics of 2 strokes done by you, any archive ?:)
4 strokes burning oil are much worse...was forced to drive behind Mercedes bus lately =:s
 
Back
Top