Love the CB1100

SteveO_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello All:

This forum is great, and I’m seriously getting close to buying a CB1100.
My everyday ride is a 2012 GL1800, and no doubt it is a great bike. However... I’m really in need of a fun and lighter bike for commuting and the back roads Sunday rides. Its bewteen the CB1100 and I am dying to see the new NC750x.

I test rode a 2013 CB1100, and really enjoyed it, but at the time I thought I wanted to do more touring so I bought the big gal. Turns out I’m not a long distance rider per say. I’ve done only 2 trips on the wing, but I still like it and use it for commuting

Lately, I find the wings 900 Plus lbs to be a bit much. So I want something that is both fun and comfortable. I’m heavily leaning towards the CB1100.

I can get a brand new 2014 standard black model at my dealer for $6500... pretty suite deal. I do love the upgrades to the 2017, as far as the LED lighting and ABS brakes.

Is there anyone out there who has had both the 2014 and then bought the 2017? Maybe comments would be good.

Also, anyone owned or ridden the NC700x and how does that stack up to the CB1100. Tough choices, both great bikes.

Thanks in advance. This forum rocks:beerchug::clap:
 
I went from a 750+Lb. Harley to the CB1100, and love it! So much easier and pleasant to rider at low speed around town, but plenty of power for the freeway. Much easier to get in and out of the garage, center stand for oil changes, maintenence, and detailing, and oh yeah...very similar to my all time favorite 1974 CB754 albeit a more modern version. If you choose it, you wont regret it!
 
I spent ten days on an NC750X in Italy. Aside from the heated grips, I wasn't particularly impressed with the bike and it's not a motorcycle I would consider buying for myself unless I wanted an inexpensive commuter. The engine is torquey but has a low redline and I found myself banging into the rev limiter a lot on fun roads. The handling was fine given the weight of the bike and the brakes were good. The gearbox on mine was a six-speed (I think), not a DCT. The ergos were fairly cramped (more so than the CB1100), so if you're a big person, you may be uncomfortable, especially in the knees. The seat was fine for about 50-100 miles and then it became torture. I rode the bike several times from the passenger seat just to get some relief. The stubby windscreen is wonderful for creating wind noise and buffeting, but not much else. I ended up removing it. The CB, on the other hand, is quite refined and is a very nice little jewel of a motorcycle. It was engineered with passion, which is more than I can say for the NC750X.
 
I've ridden my nephews NC 700X thru the Sierra Nevada mountains and today I rode an NTV 700 for grins, only there isn't much to grin about honestly. Those 700's just don't make ANY power. I understand the 750's make about 5 more hp. It won't matter. Let off the gas at all and you'd better be down shifting as it doesn't have the power to pull itself back up to speed. It's amazing the difference 2 more cylinders and a few hundred cc's make. For $6500 only a crazy man would pass up a CB 1100 for an NC 750. Just my honest opinion.
 
I also considered the NC700 when I purchased my CB1100, even though the salesman told me not to waste my time, I still rode both. Not even a close call. Don't waste your time. :D
 
I rode a rented NC750S in Germany and Switzerland. I agree with the negative comments about about the similar NC750X. It's just not an exciting engine, possibly the most bland motorcycle engine of them all. Also, the fuel filler under the seat is a real inconvenience if you have anything tied down on top of the seat.
 
I bought a new 2014 NC700X last November and had it shipped down to Arizona to have a bike to ride during the winter. I added a center stand and the tall windshield right away, and got handlebar risers, Grabon grips, and an Airhawk seat cover a little later on.

The bike is great around town (65-70 mpg), and the frunk works well for picking up a few things from the store. Short rides into the desert and nearby mountains are a blast. Other than that I have to agree with Ferret the bike lacks power. Freeways are sort of challenging.

I think for Wisconsin with all your letter roads you would be much happier with the CB1100. And when you're home and the bike is in the garage the 1100 will be much easier to look at.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
I spent ten days on an NC750X in Italy. Aside from the heated grips, I wasn't particularly impressed with the bike and it's not a motorcycle I would consider buying for myself unless I wanted an inexpensive commuter. The engine is torquey but has a low redline and I found myself banging into the rev limiter a lot on fun roads. The handling was fine given the weight of the bike and the brakes were good. The gearbox on mine was a six-speed (I think), not a DCT. The ergos were fairly cramped (more so than the CB1100), so if you're a big person, you may be uncomfortable, especially in the knees. The seat was fine for about 50-100 miles and then it became torture. I rode the bike several times from the passenger seat just to get some relief. The stubby windscreen is wonderful for creating wind noise and buffeting, but not much else. I ended up removing it. The CB, on the other hand, is quite refined and is a very nice little jewel of a motorcycle. It was engineered with passion, which is more than I can say for the NC750X.
Great detailed feedback. Thanks Long Ranger... I am 6 ft with a 33’ inseam, so good point on the egos. I do love the seating position on the CB1100. Are there a lot of aftermarket windshields for the CB? How about other accessories?
The ferret_imp said:
I've ridden my nephews NC 700X thru the Sierra Nevada mountains and today I rode an NTV 700 for grins, only there isn't much to grin about honestly. Those 700's just don't make ANY power. I understand the 750's make about 5 more hp. It won't matter. Let off the gas at all and you'd better be down shifting as it doesn't have the power to pull itself back up to speed. It's amazing the difference 2 more cylinders and a few hundred cc's make. For $6500 only a crazy man would pass up a CB 1100 for an NC 750. Just my honest opinion.
Thanks Ferret... I was a bit concerned that the 750 would lack power. The only thing that really drew me to it was the clever built-in storage. How about accessorizing the CB1100? Are there a fair amount of aftermarket items like windshields, running lights, maybe a mount for my IPhone with a 12v connector, that sort of thing.
Leaning_imp said:
I bought a new 2014 NC700X last November and had it shipped down to Arizona to have a bike to ride during the winter. I added a center stand and the tall windshield right away, and got handlebar risers, Grabon grips, and an Airhawk seat cover a little later on.

The bike is great around town (65-70 mpg), and the frunk works well for picking up a few things from the store. Short rides into the desert and nearby mountains are a blast. Other than that I have to agree with Ferret the bike lacks power. Freeways are sort of challenging.

I think for Wisconsin with all your letter roads you would be much happier with the CB1100. And when you're home and the bike is in the garage the 1100 will be much easier to look at.
It definitely is a great looking bike. I’m really partial to the 2017 red/silver scheme. The black looks good too though
 
SteveO_imp said:
Hello All:

This forum is great, and I’m seriously getting close to buying a CB1100.
My everyday ride is a 2012 GL1800, and no doubt it is a great bike. However... I’m really in need of a fun and lighter bike for commuting and the back roads Sunday rides. Its bewteen the CB1100 and I am dying to see the new NC750x.

I test rode a 2013 CB1100, and really enjoyed it, but at the time I thought I wanted to do more touring so I bought the big gal. Turns out I’m not a long distance rider per say. I’ve done only 2 trips on the wing, but I still like it and use it for commuting

Lately, I find the wings 900 Plus lbs to be a bit much. So I want something that is both fun and comfortable. I’m heavily leaning towards the CB1100.

I can get a brand new 2014 standard black model at my dealer for $6500... pretty suite deal. I do love the upgrades to the 2017, as far as the LED lighting and ABS brakes.

Is there anyone out there who has had both the 2014 and then bought the 2017? Maybe comments would be good.

Also, anyone owned or ridden the NC700x and how does that stack up to the CB1100. Tough choices, both great bikes.

Thanks in advance. This forum rocks:beerchug::clap:
VLJ has written a thorough review of the '17 EX.

I'm one of those people who has a difficult time distinguishing between a $5.99 bottle of wine and one at $39.99--well, I mean I can do math, but I mean taste.

So while VLJ points out all the '17 EX upgrades, I have to admit that I can't tell huge differences between the way they ride (I owned a '14 standard and currently have the '17 ex). The '17 absorbs the bumps better, it's exhaust sound is tad "throatier". Which tank style do you like better? Prefer Red or Black? '17 spoke wheels (with tubes) show grime and '14 black wheels do not. More chrome on the '17. One exhaust pipe or two? They both are fun to ride, and for me, do the exact same thing.
 
Lots of stuff available for the CB1100.. Fairings, racks, seats, case guards, soft luggage, hard luggage, etc and of course a tank bag/ tailpack can take the place of a frunk.. Samurider in Japan is our go to guy for most stuff.
 
Thread starter
Leaning_imp said:
I bought a new 2014 NC700X last November and had it shipped down to Arizona to have a bike to ride during the winter. I added a center stand and the tall windshield right away, and got handlebar risers, Grabon grips, and an Airhawk seat cover a little later on.

The bike is great around town (65-70 mpg), and the frunk works well for picking up a few things from the store. Short rides into the desert and nearby mountains are a blast. Other than that I have to agree with Ferret the bike lacks power. Freeways are sort of challenging.

I think for Wisconsin with all your letter roads you would be much happier with the CB1100. And when you're home and the bike is in the garage the 1100 will be much easier to look at.
It definitely is a great looking bike. I’m really partial to the 2017 red/silver scheme. The black looks good too though
 
Thread starter
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that thing could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that think could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
 
1. No more heat than my 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II or my 2012 Triumph Bonneville.

2. Maint: Change oil and oil filter. Lube chain at 600 mile intervals. I checked my air filter, yesterday at 8,667 miles and it looks like new (vacuumed a moth out of it).

Valves are not easy access, but the recommended interval is VERY conservative. Out of tolerance, at any mileage, is unusual.

3. Outstanding fueling. There have been a few reported idle issues, primarily related to IACV, IMHO.

4. Mirrors are wide enough for me and are clear at highway speeds.
 
SportsterDoc posted his while I was typing, but I included a few links you can check out.

SteveO_imp said:
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that thing could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that think could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
I had my '14 over two summers...I live in OR...so not the hottest of climates. But we get consistent 85 degree+ in the summer, sometimes 90-95. I can feel it a bit, but nothing that bothers me. However, I don't do lots of city commuting, mostly countryside and hiway riding.

SteveO_imp said:
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that thing could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that think could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
Valve clearance check for the '14 is every 8k, for the '17 it's 12k. I'm not sure anyone has reported an adjustment was needed at 8k. Is it easy? Apparently very time consuming.

SteveO_imp said:
Some [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12241]'17 models have sqeaky front brake. Mine has it a bit; I may have dealer look at it, but it's not very bothersome to me. Seems like grease on the back of pads and filing of edges of brake pads helps, but maybe not completely takes it away.

SteveO_imp said:
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that thing could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that think could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
With my winter mc jacket on, I can see fine, but just.
 
pdedse, glad you posted the valve clearance thread.

As for mirror vision, it may depend on the size of the rider.
 
Thread starter
SportsterDoc_imp said:
pdedse, glad you posted the valve clearance thread.

As for mirror vision, it may depend on the size of the rider.
I’m 175 lbs in street clothes, but I do always wear a protective riding jacket with armor pads. I had a VFR800 years ago, and mirrors were not quite wide enough, but sounds like this should not be a concern on the CB
 
I have found if you use the adjstment available, you should be able to see everything you need to quite easily. I weigh about 170, wear a large jacket and I can see both lanes behind me completeing the picture.. Really don't know how it could get much better. I have mine set with a tiny sliver of my arms in the mirrors.
 
I didn't care for the small round mirrors that came on the CB1100, they looked good, but had a very small field of vision for me. I put some of the rectangular ones from Samurider on and they are a big improvement. I think there are several aftermarket options available.
 
SteveO_imp said:
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that thing could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that think could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
For much of the year it is very hot where I ride and, although I sometimes feel the heat from the CB's engine, it is the least of the temperature problem. It also fails to provide adequate heating in the cold!

SteveO_imp said:
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that thing could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that think could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
There has been discussion about whether the required frequency of valve clearance checks is reasonable or necessary given the very low incidence of them being out of spec. This is relevant to your comment about the bike being a peach to work on. My mechanic and others have talked about the difficulty of getting at the top of the engine—particularly removing the electronics and the heat shield under the tank. This will be a frustration if you rack up the miles and feel obliged to do it regularly.

For what it's worth, the only report I recall on this forum of valves being out of spec at the first check was from Pterodactyl who remains very sceptical about the veracity of the report.

SteveO_imp said:
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that thing could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
Sorry to bug you guys, but I have so many questions...

1. How is the bike as far as putting heat into the rider? I used to own an ST1300, and that think could cook you.

2. What sort of maintenance items are common? And what is the valve clearance check interval? I do 95% of my own maintenance... I would think this bike would be a peach to work on

3. Any know issues? Include smoothness of fuel delivery

4. Are the mirrors set far enough apart, that one can see clearly behind you?
The mirrors are just fine for me. Others have installed the black rectangular mirrors from the CB500 and report an improvement.
 
For what you want to do, the CB 1100 can't be beat. I love my 2017 EX, it is the bike I pull out of the stable when I just want to ride the local roads I love so much.

And its dang near the prettiest bike ever made with its glossy red metal fuel tank, dual chrome upswept mufflers, and spoked wheels. My CB is commented on most everywhere I park it.

It will compliment the GL nicely.
 
Back
Top