Lots of love for the CB today

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I don't know if it's because there are fewer bikes out and about this time of year, but for whatever reason a number of people made an effort to acknowledge the CB today.

This morning I was stopped at a red light on my commute to work. One guy slowed down to look at the bike while crossing the street. He started walking again and then came back to let me know how much he liked the bike.

When I got home from work, my neighbor from down the street stopped to chat about the bike when he saw it.

I headed out to get a haircut this evening and as I was parking a woman began asking me questions about the bike and said that she really liked it. She wished that Honda made a similar bike with smaller displacement.

Finally, as I sit here waiting for my turn in the barber chair, a guy came walking in to track me down so he could let me know how great the CB looked and to find out how much I've enjoyed it. I'm sure you can all guess my answer.

Good stuff.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Makes you feel good about your choice doesn't it!
 
Good stuff Guth. Its good to know some people still appreciate a modern naked standard. I had a man stop me in a parking lot after getting a haircut of all things and just ozzed over my 750 NIghthawk. Seems the gentleman had one back in the day and had moved on to a Goldwing but he was impressed never the less. It makes you feel good that there are others cut out of the same mold. I love standards!
 
I seem to get lots of love every time I take the CB out. People will come up to me to talk or stop next to me at lights and stare. My 78 XL175 gets a lot of attention because it's old. A lot of people think the CB is old.
 
People do go out of there way to speak to you regarding the CB, it just has that attraction. It really says a lot about the modern day look of motorcycles and how people appreciate the vintage bikes especially old Honda's.
 
Thread starter
I think that OldF7Guy and CIP57 are on the right track — many people like the look of a retro-styled standard. The woman that stopped to look at the CB rode as well and she liked the thought of the upright riding position.

I hear you HikerToo, but I really needed a haircut and was short on time. You know, desperate times call for desperate measures. :P
 
Knowing how cold it's been as of late in the metro area I'm impressed with anyone commuting. I made a 12 mile ride into Beaverton during the cold dry spell and about froze to death. While shivering at a stop light, a car window rolled down and a hipster stuck his head out and said "nice bike". I smiled and said nothing, most likely because my lips were frozen shut.
 
Good one, Guth. What a pity for the woman who spoke to you that Honda doesn't import the CB400 into the USA. It's a lovely bike.
 
One of my first rides was to the credit union. A guy inside asked me as I was leaving if that was my bike outside. I said yes and he asked what year it was. I told him and he said as he was looking at it he was thinking someone spent a lot of money restoring it!
 
Being approached by friendly strangers is part of the CB1100 experience! Besides putting a lot of miles on my sons CB, my own bike is a 'bright red 78 Yamaha XS750 3 cylinder. It's in great condition and is very lightly cafe'd with flat bars, bar end mirrors and a Mac 3 into 1 exhaust that makes beautiful music. Both bikes are excellent conversation starters!
 
I go to the Long Beach Ca. motorcycle swapmeet every month to sell my GasCard and funnels. I used to use an R100/7 as my ride there and back and as my display bike. That Beemer got a ton of looks, even from the Harley crowd.
But nowhere near as much as the CB1100 is getting. You can see it in everybodies eyes as they walk past. Guys walk up telling me they had a CB back in the day and want to know if it's an '80 or '90 something.
I've been asked "who did your paint?", or "what did it look like before you restored it ?"
They're blown away when I tell them it's a bonestock 2013.
Honda must not have done a lot of advertising for that bike, nobody seems to know about it.
I spend as much time telling folks about the bike as I do trying to sell my stuff.
Just thought I'd share.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Hey, it gets you some foot traffic. You just gotta come up with a smooth segway into the gas card sales pitch! :thumbsup:
It certainly does and I'd like to think that I have my sales pitch down pat but I'm continually amazed at folks aknowledging that it's a great idea but then walking away without buying one. Oh well.
 
Good to see the bike getting appreciated for what it is. I'm glad that you're able to get some positive attention on the bike.
 
So, my CB finally got some of that love your bikes have been getting. After reading all those posts about people gushing over your bikes, I began to think people just aren't that nice in Southern California. That, or they just don't appreciate the classic good looks of the CB.

Yesterday, when leaving Cycle Gear, a man with his wife and kid stopped as he was going in and asked about the bike. He knew it had come out a year earlier and told me he had just traded-in his Goldwing and is now riding an Indian which, being from Wisconsin, is sitting in the garage until the spring. He clearly appreciated the CB and complimented me on the bike. I thanked him and we parted ways. It felt nice to have another rider appreciate the CB.

While writing this, I realized something - first, he was visiting from out of town. Maybe Southern California people really AREN'T that nice. Haha. And, second, his compliment came post-RLETs. Ah, it all makes sense now.
 
Back
Top