Loose chain, Nut sizes

Mr Jangles_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I have a little over 6000m now and I just went for a spirited ride and it felt sloppy, I got home and the chain is loose as expected, I need to know what size the 2 rear axle nuts are, I thought I had the right sizes but apparently not.
Thanks for the help!
 
Depends on itf you have a 13 or a 14

32mm ( right side) and 27mm (left side) for axle nuts on 13 and 8mm for adjuster bolts

27 mm (right) and 22 mm ( left) for axle nuts on 14 dlx and 8 mm for adjuster bolts
 
The ferret_imp said:
Depends on itf you have a 13 or a 14

32mm ( right side) and 27mm (left side) for axle nuts on 13 and 8mm for adjuster bolts

27 mm (right) and 22 mm ( left) for axle nuts on 14 dlx and 8 mm for adjuster bolts
Ah well, at least you didn't say "'13 AND a '14". :)

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Thanks all, that was quick! I have a 14 and my owners man says 69ft lb I just need the R nut.
Thanks again..Ride safe.
 
If the 14's like the 13, the chain feels better at the tighter end of the spec.
 
Mr Jangles_imp said:
I have a little over 6000m now and I just went for a spirited ride and it felt sloppy, I got home and the chain is loose as expected, I need to know what size the 2 rear axle nuts are, I thought I had the right sizes but apparently not.
Thanks for the help!
:D so many jokes, so little time.

Resist Tortuga, Resist!

(Enter Spaceman)
 
I'm just glad to know that there's at least one other person who is resisting the temptation, here.

On a matter somewhat related to this thread, I feel like I'm the only CB1100 rider who has never had to adjust his chain. Yes, I suppose the dealer has done so when the bike's been in for oil changes, etc., but I have 14k miles on it and the tension is well within spec. every time I check it.
Probably just jinxed myself, though.
 
That sounds like when my wife first learned how to drive. After a couple of month we were at a party and she tells friends how great it is to drive and how great the car is I bought for her. After months of driving still the car did not need gasoline.

I stepped in and said dear that is because I fill the tank every Friday for you!

Nothing better than someone else doing it for you, and you not knowing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Lol. Too funny, Elipten. I should have added that, even when I checked the chain immediately before a scheduled service, the tension was spot on. Then again, Honda probably tweaked it just a little at each service interval. I guess my point was that I'm surprised that I haven't had to make the adjustment myself, even when the interval between servicing exceeded 5,000 miles as happened thia summer.
 
Mine went 8400 miles before it's first adjustment and then I only took out 1/4" of slack. Suppose I could have waited for the tire change that's coming up soon. My FZ-1 was like that, no adjustments between tire changes. It went 30,000 miles before being replaced.
 
Those with a gentle right hand, probably do not need to adjust the chain as much as those that that have a more aggressive right twisting hand.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
The CB is more sensitive to chain adjustment than Any other bike I've owned, probably because the rest of the bike is so tightly built. I've had to adjust the chain less and less as the miles go by; I think because it's stretched as much as it's going to. I just wish the OEM chain would wear out so I can put a nice gold DID on it.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
The CB is more sensitive to chain adjustment than Any other bike I've owned, probably because the rest of the bike is so tightly built. I've had to adjust the chain less and less as the miles go by; I think because it's stretched as much as it's going to. I just wish the OEM chain would wear out so I can put a nice gold DID on it.
Spacey, probably an illuminating glimpse of the obvious, but chain play is also influenced by sprocket wear. It never stops.

Cheers
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I'm just glad to know that there's at least one other person who is resisting the temptation, here.

On a matter somewhat related to this thread, I feel like I'm the only CB1100 rider who has never had to adjust his chain. Yes, I suppose the dealer has done so when the bike's been in for oil changes, etc., but I have 14k miles on it and the tension is well within spec. every time I check it.
Probably just jinxed myself, though.
If you've replaced your rear tire (or had the rear wheel off for any reason) it would have been adjusted then.

I did my first adjustment at 4K miles. I'm at 7K now and it's still within spec. I've found that keeping it at the loose end of the spec keeps adjustments to a minimum. A tighter chain tends to wear faster. On the other hand, a lot of folks don't like the increased play in the drive train with that much slack in the chain.

It took my chain about 2K miles to go from the middle of the spec to just under the 1 1/4" maximum. Then it just stayed there without wearing much more for the next 2K miles.
 
Back
Top