Look out!

Well he sure didn't take any evasive action. Lucky lucky lucky
 
We can't see what happened in the seconds before this, but I would bet there were clues he could have reacted to to create more margin: a truck with a mattress on it flapping in the slip stream - DUH. Slow down and move over!
 
Well, I would prefer not to hit anything while riding BUT, if it came to it a mattress is a lot more forgiving than a lot of other stuff I've seen the roads littered with.
 
You gotta love the way people stop to help. See that white SUV on the right?
 
Those videos bring to mind an incident I had a couple of years ago, when a couch came off the truck next to me at 70 mph. It missed my head by a few feet.

When maneuvering to avoid a moving obstacle, I tend to aim at where the obstacle is. Chances are good that it won't be there when your bike arrives at that point. The rider in the second video tried to get ahead of the moving object and couldn't quite outrun it.
 
Ack! Boats, bikes loaded on the back of SUVs, anything in a pickup truck... I just don't trust any of it to be secured. I never follow anything like that, and try not to even be a car or two behind it. Stuff comes off all the time!

Saw a huge plate glass window do a number like that mattress not too long ago, luckily on the other side of the interstate. It just leapt off the glass man's truck and floated through the air gently rotating before it came crashing down.

Even with due caution, there's plenty of unexpected stuff that can be in front of you suddenly.

Those short pants, though!
 
Rolls_imp said:
Ack! Boats, bikes loaded on the back of SUVs, anything in a pickup truck... I just don't trust any of it to be secured. I never follow anything like that, and try not to even be a car or two behind it. Stuff comes off all the time!

Saw a huge plate glass window do a number like that mattress not too long ago, luckily on the other side of the interstate. It just leapt off the glass man's truck and floated through the air gently rotating before it came crashing down.

Even with due caution, there's plenty of unexpected stuff that can be in front of you suddenly.

Those short pants, though!
The world is your belt sander!

A woman I know was in a car following a truck when a wheelbarrow it was carrying came off and a handle went through the windscreen of her car between her and the passenger.
 
Too bad for that guy in the video. He needs to practice his swerve.

One night long ago I was riding my '93 HD FXLR. There was a work truck ahead of me and all of a sudden sparks were flying up from the road right behind it. It was dark and I couldn't tell what was causing the sparks, until I was almost right up on a wheelbarrow that had fallen off the back of the truck! It was skidding up the road in my lane and it took some serious evasive action to not hit it.
 
Wow, some insane stories. My moment of terror came when a flatbed landscaping truck was running down the interstate highway with shovels and rakes stowed in a rack at the front of the bed. Suddenly a flat shovel launched itself straight up and started going end-over-end as it arced its way earthward. I opted to drop a gear and accelerate...thankfully I blew by under it. I learned my lesson to never follow anything with a load.
 
What got me was the riding gear of the rider in the boat video. Shorts and t-shirt. Lucky to have rolled rather than slid on the asphalt. Still, will be missing a lot of skin in addition to whatever damaged occurred. Here on the West Coast I see drivers and riders in shorts and sandals all the time. Makes me cringe!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top