Long ride...didn't drink enough water!!!

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I rode from my home in Cumming, Ga. yesterday on a loop up through Blairsville GA, Tellico Plains TN,
on the Cherahola Skyway over to Robbinsville NC, down to Franklin NC, and then back towards Cumming.
The trip took 10 hours and I rode 325 miles...pictures are below. It was a good ride, the Skyway is pretty cool
but I got caught in the rain and got lost at the same time. Not fun!! The map that I used (needs updating),
didn't show a good route into Franklin from Robbinsville. And without cell coverage, I winged it through the
mountains (did I already say it was RAINING!!!) and was lucky enough on the other side to run into a group
of bikers who pointed me south. I mention the water.. due to the rain, an overly ambitious route, and the 'getting lost' I drank less than 1/2 bottle of water all day. Definitely not smart. I got home, late, feeling sick and woozy, clearly on the verge of dehydration. Seriously, when you're out, especially if it's hot (which it wasn't yesterday..) you need to drink plenty of water. It took all night of drinking water to get caught back up...

As I left yesterday morning (sorry, not my CB).

b5ed06b8accbddcc9c8e62427da5da7d.jpg


A shot of the bike in front of a pretty famous stop along the Appalachian Trail near Blood Mountain. Forget
the Dragon, a ride on US19 from Dahlonega GA to Blairsville is just as good.

6a0fb501f998be4c76fd7dee361c6f17.jpg


On the Cherahola Skyway.

bb932c4d6acb2586e0135cee1008b3b9.jpg


Sorry... no rain shots!! But here was the route...

dc729fa894f3a7a595b9be880af03ca7.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Great looking HD:thumbsup:
What a great location you have for starting a trip, right at the foothills of the mountains. I ride up into the Catskill Mountains and have been lost a few times. Usually your compass on your phone will work when you loose coverage, i have relied on that a few times.
 
The Cherohala Skyway took over 40 years and $100 million dollars to build, and it was worth every minute and every penny. It's like a team of highway engineers sat down and said "let's build the coolest driving/riding road we can, money and time is no object." I drove it back and forth at least 10 times last summer in my Mini. Just couldn't get enough of it. On one trip a storm rolled in; man it was wild! I'm going to take the CB there someday and do another 10 laps...

Is your SuperGlide a Low Rider?
 
Nice pics and a nice bike :thumbsup:
A few years ago I took a bike trip down through the New England states and ran into very hot weather. I didn't drink enough water either and became dehydrated at the end of the day. I was not thinking straight and woozy as you mentioned.
I didn't know what was wrong but got off the road ASAP and took in all the water I could hold.
 
I really appreciate the hydration tip/warning as I am going to be riding from Ridem's house in Mississippi to Savannah, Ga., then on the Va. Beach, Va. next month. Its going to be hot! So I will definately remember to drink plenty of water.
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
The Cherohala Skyway took over 40 years and $100 million dollars to build, and it was worth every minute and every penny. It's like a team of highway engineers sat down and said "let's build the coolest driving/riding road we can, money and time is no object." I drove it back and forth at least 10 times last summer in my Mini. Just couldn't get enough of it. On one trip a storm rolled in; man it was wild! I'm going to take the CB there someday and do another 10 laps...

Is your SuperGlide a Low Rider?
Spaceman... I'm sorry that I didn't turn around and ride back the same way I started out. It would have been much more enjoyable... and yes, the Skyway is amazing! The bike is a Superglide Custom.
 
Good report, good pics, nice looking HD (there's something about red bikes) and good advice about drinking enough.
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
Nice pics and a nice bike :thumbsup:
A few years ago I took a bike trip down through the New England states and ran into very hot weather. I didn't drink enough water either and became dehydrated at the end of the day. I was not thinking straight and woozy as you mentioned.
I didn't know what was wrong but got off the road ASAP and took in all the water I could hold.
I did the same thing back in '08 returning from HD's 105th anniversary. I remember getting off the bike, in hot weather, and sitting down in the shade trying to get my faculty's back... and I was less than 25 miles from home. Not fun. I had forgotten about that...
Cormanus_imp said:
Good report, good pics, nice looking HD (there's something about red bikes) and good advice about drinking enough.
Thanks. We tend to forget, especially when we're in a hurry (which I was...) about the importance of being hydrated. It's different in a car...of course the water bottle is generally right in the cup holder. A bit differant and much more cumbersome on two wheels.
 
Yeah. I've wondered a couple of times about getting a camel pack, but with the CB on a long ride, you have to get off to refuel often enough to hydrate. If I hydrate well, I also have to get off to dehydrate more often than once I did. :( Then I can rehydrate.

I think it may once have been called a virtuous circle.
 
When I go up to Canada for work I don't want to get nailed with data charges on my phone, so I use Navigon. It's a bit pricy, but cheaper then most stand alone GPS, and you don't have to cary an extra thing. You download the maps directly to your phone, so no being out of cell coverage.

Now I still use Google maps most of the time, but I like having another option as well.

And thank you for the reminder as well, drink up.
 
Great pics and a great riding area. We didn't get the chance to ride in north GA when we were down there. Guess we'll just have to plan another trip. :)

I thought about a camelback, but like Cormanus said, I stop frequently enough to stay hydrated. I just make sure I have a water bottle with me on every longer ride.
 
Thread starter
JohnNevets_imp said:
When I go up to Canada for work I don't want to get nailed with data charges on my phone, so I use Navigon. It's a bit pricy, but cheaper then most stand alone GPS, and you don't have to cary an extra thing. You download the maps directly to your phone, so no being out of cell coverage.

Now I still use Google maps most of the time, but I like having another option as well.

And thank you for the reminder as well, drink up.
John, does this app essentially turn your phone into a GPS
device? So it will work without cell coverage? Or do you just download maps from it?
 
I can turn off the cellular data on my cell phone, turn on the GPS and then pull up Google maps and I have a GPS unit essentially. Leaving the data on helps to get stuff pop up on the map like has stations or restaurants, etc.

I believe and current smart phone can do this. Now if I use the cellular carriers navigation app it uses more days and just to me isn't as good as Google maps.

Add in voice controls via Bluetooth and your hands free also.

Now riding into Canada might require a download of new maps so a third party app might be more helpful in situations like that.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
@ride4now. With the Navigon app you download the maps ahead of time, and then they are stored on your phone. You can select everything, or just certain states and providences. The maps are fairly big, but you don't need them all. I just looked, and Georgia was about 50 meg. It basically acts like a car GPS while using your phones GPS, and knows most hotels, fast food joints, and gas stations. iTunes lists the North America version for $60, but I'm pretty sure I got it on sale a few years ago for something like $45. The android version seems to be a few dollars less. The US only one is a few bucks cheaper, but then you don't get Canada, and that was a big part of why I wanted this. I used it when I was out of cell range in Montana as well, and it worked fine there too. I travel too much to have paper maps of everything anymore, but this is still cheeper then most car GPS'es

That being said, I still use google maps most of the time I'm in cell range. The traffic delay seems to be pretty accurate around big cities.

I believe there are other products out there from other companies that do the same or similar things, so just search around for your particular device. Hope that was the sort of info you were looking for, and didn't sound too much like an add.
 
Tomtom, make stand alone GPS units. They also have an app for the iPhone, and maybe android now, that makes the phone a stand alone GPS navigation system with turn by turn instructions not requiring data access. Works well but the phone needs to be on a charger if it's running for a long time. It cost me around AUD$80 a few years ago and I've found it really useful. I'm sure it would be available for the US and Canada, although maybe in different apps.
 
Back
Top