Live to Ride...Ride to Eat

Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I’ve been riding to work lately. Many of you know that I have a very short commute. To make it worth my while to get geared up, rearrange the vehicles, and ride to work, I have taken to leaving the house early to enjoy 10-20 miles of riding “on the way” to my office. I also, if opportunity presents itself, ride someplace for lunch.

Today I trekked out about 10 miles to a Chicagoland icon, Johnnie’s Beef, where I was able to eat outside within view of me CB1100. I ordered a “Combo with sweet and hot” (Italian beef and Italian sausage on a roll topped with green peppers and hot giardiniera).

After lunch, a dad and his 3-4 year old son stopped and Dad asked if he could take a pic of his son with my bike. I said “How about one ON the bike? You’ll just need to hang onto that half a hotdog he has”. Dad grabbed the hotdog and I hoisted Son onto the bike. Son would not stop giggling in elation. I should have snapped a pic myself, but seeing his joy in that moment will be etched into my mind for a long time.

If you’re in Chicago, get a beef sandwich, preferably from a place like Johnnie’s.

3a323f05c3a7bf0f039f4f52a9b49de5.jpg


8e4f16bd4440c65636a7203c2a8fcca4.jpg





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These are the best moments in life...great anecdote, Sea.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Great story indeed. You may have planted a seed my friend.

Sea what is Italian lemonade?
It's sort of like a frozen lemonade slush. There's a difference, though, between it and something that you might find at a 7-11. The ice crystals are softer somehow, or smoother, and it's not overly sweet. I did not order one this time, but I should have. I had a root beer.
 
Great story, Sea. It's the sort of thing that happens to people who pay attention to ducks.
 
Another great ride to eat today....even a little rain didn't stop me.

Schnitzelbank Restaurant, Jasper IN

It's unique, Hampton Inn right next door if you want to drink a few without riding somewhere for the night.

I had the appetizer with 3 different types of sausages: Bratwurst, Bockwurst, and Knockwurst on a bed of sauerkraut with hot mustard (horseradish very spicy). Btw...the mustard was applied by me so it's not very professional chef looking.

This worked for me as I figure it has zero carbs ;-)

There was actually one more to make it symmetrical but I forgot and ate it before I took the picture.

e4ce1706d74fcc5af69e8641a5baeea8.jpg


The main menu was a little pricey, maybe ...but a 2 inch porkchop would be pretty impressive!

9df8f67573cadd09cfd479a57bcff253.jpg


Unique musical rotating figures out side, link the the video is below (couldn't figure out how to in embed that...it is hosted on imgur...should work?)

1dfa4748e953152546c371a18db82a6b.jpg


They even had a special parking spot reserved just for me ;-)

11bc56d2d7a800a8eae58af7dcebc611.jpg



Authentic German | Schnitzelbank | Jasper, Indiana
 
Not many eateries where I normally ride, but when running errands around town, as I have been doing the last few days, I do find time for Baskin & Robbins World Class Chocolate and occasionally Chocolate Fudge in a waffle cone. This afternoon was a slice of blueberry pie at Marie Callendars, to compensate for a quick hot dog lunch and drink for $1.62 at Costco!
 
Offroad, you bought the 1600? Congrats are in order! Do you love it? Certainly explains the ride for bratwurst!

Doc, Costco hot dog & drink is still $1.55 around here. But you have In & Out, which we don't (yet). At least we finally got Rubio's.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Offroad, you bought the 1600? Congrats are in order! Do you love it? Certainly explains the ride for bratwurst!

Doc, Costco hot dog & drink is still $1.55 around here. But you have In & Out, which we don't (yet). At least we finally got Rubio's.
$1.50 plus 8.1 % sales tax on prepared food.
I constantly tease my daughter in Georgia about In N Out!
Rubios (fish tacos) was a regular stop in Adelanto, SoCal.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Offroad, you bought the 1600? Congrats are in order! Do you love it? Certainly explains the ride for bratwurst!

Doc, Costco hot dog & drink is still $1.55 around here. But you have In & Out, which we don't (yet). At least we finally got Rubio's.
Totally love it except when I'm trying to backup in gravel ;-) Thank goodness for reverse!

On the way home with it, stopped and ate a $5 cheese omelette at waffle house ;-)
 
Congrats offroad! Bike looks great. The compact car parking sign made me laugh.

Zinzinnati is home to the German culture. Originally we were a city of slaughter houses and they drove pigs right down the streets of the city like a cattle drive. Porkopolis is another nickname for the city. Queen City sausage company is still a big producer of Brats and Metts here and we have many German style breweries, and an annual Octoberfest to celebrate the German heritage here.

Amazingly, what German item don't we have have? A BMW dealership. Closest ones are about 120 miles away, both north and south.

Also somewhat amusing is that even though I grew up in a German household, I don't like most German dishes including sauerkraut. YUK lol.

Anyhow congrats on finally getting the bike, and remember what the guy at the steak house in Kansas said about back tires lol. Can't wait to see it in person.
 
Thanks for the post, offroad. Maybe our gang will stay in Jasper rather than Evansville... you've literally given me food for thought.
 
Smokey Pig BBQ - Bowling Green, KY.

Rode 300 mile round trip (should have been 200, but back roads made it 300) just to eat at Smokey Pig BBQ mentioned by Alton Brown in Feasting on Asphalt.

af15cdd85d2130fa1b61882a33e22c91.jpg


I had the brisket and slaw. Has a little fat, but melts in your mouth ;-)

a78bf4dfe2ac0fc621ef3221a984173c.jpg


The server/manager did remember Brown also riding a BMW(GS) and what states he rode to.

Finally got my 1600 back from the dealer. Had a broken reverse. Got a free warranty extension to 7 years unlimited miles and a month's payment. Working on upping my daily miles for longer rides. Put 1000 miles in 2 weeks of riding, CB has 7000 miles in 4 years.

d866c119e2350d62f99394f6fa5a8d4a.jpg


Finding my way over into Stichill's and Ferret's neighborhood for maybe a feasible day ride. ;-)
 
Thread starter
I envy you being off for the summer! Lucky dog! :)

Maybe we can go "BMW-ing" together because I've pulled my GT off the market. Demand for used bikes is just too soft to let it go for peanuts. In the meantime, I've had a chance to re-evaluate why I bought it in the first place: its great qualities as a light, reliable, comfortable, agile, fast, long-distance, fuel-economical, low-maintenance, luggage-toting, all-weather touring bike. I still would like to add a third bike to the stable at some point. :)

Are there any good "Ride to Eat" places in Salem, IN?

Speaking of the GT, rode it in to the office this morning. What a glorious day to ride!

f0867da61201576383a085e15faff29d.jpg


51ed6d133b580d80115d9a8a875eb78f.jpg
 
what and where is Salem Indiana?

edit google says it's the county seat. Should be places to eat there I would think.
 
Haven't been to Salem but I'm up for any new rides.

Story Inn looked interesting, pricy menu but might be worth riding there to eat once.

It's in brown county state park.....should be some nice roads nearby.
 
Took my 14 year-old son to Legends motorcycle museum. We had lunch at the attached Sidecar Cafe. Not only do they have delicious 1/2 lb. brisket burgers, they also serve breakfast all day long. Best thing: You can spend time in the museum while waiting for your food. Springville, Utah.
 
Back
Top