Live to Ride...Ride to Eat

Cormanus_imp said:
Help a poor antipodean, use2b: what is 'bush hogging shooting lanes'?

amazing Cheese factory , even has train tracks :thumbsup:

Cormanus I run my Kubota with Bush hog down lanes through the forest in investment land i own and lease the hunting rights each year . it is 40 miles from my home so was a long day.
 
Thanks use2b and Ferret.
 
I had dinner in Klausenburg (Cluj-Napoca) in Romania:

First plate, Bulgarian Salad:
59b76929833ffd4625946e5a04506fbe.jpg


seconde plate was goulash soup:
755e80fe785a07becda7e7140cf53f76.jpg


Here is the story, how I got there:
Leg 3 – Thru the Apuseni Mountains to Transylvania
 
Thread starter
Nice ride report, Django! What a cool place to visit. I will allocate some time this weekend to review it more closely. I rode through Slovenia and would enjoy riding through other eastern European countries as well.
 
Thread starter
You're killin' me, Django! That meal is just what I'd like to eat after having a nice ride. Bravo! :beerchug:
Django, I just had the chance to read your Leg 3 blog about the Apuseni ride. Too bad it rained but what an interesting glimpse of another world. All those years during the Cold War, as I was growing up I was not able to imagine the life of people living in the east. It's somehow encouraging to see that they still built houses, planted crops, and lived their lives as best they could. It seems, though, that the economic rebirth is slower to arrive in Romania than Hungary. You pictures of villages look to me they way I saw Hungary for the the first time in 1996. However now Hungary has made great advancements. I really liked the photo of the old guy in a Tyrolean hat looking at your bike, and also the grandeur of the Transylvanian Plain. Great report! Thank you.
 
that is some rich looking Chicken Soup , would love to try some of that.
BTW i tell my wife we are having Wienerschnitzel every time i country fry anything :thumbsup:
 
That soup does look good. I can almost taste it, after dipping a hunk of that bread in it of course. :thumbsup:

It was a beautiful day yesterday, got in a nice ride up north to the Colorado border; just over 200 miles round trip. Before heading back I stopped at my usual: The Elkhorn Café. Nothing fancy but I have never been disappointed.

Green Chile Cheeseburger (this is New Mexico after all).


A hot slice of blueberry.


And here's just a few from the scenery on the ride to/from:




The weather is beginning to get a bit cooler. I actually put the liner in my mesh jacket for the return trip. Fall is right around the corner. I may be nearing the last of the seasons lawn care duties. This area up near and across the CO border makes for a great go to for a Leaf Peeker Fall Colors Ride.
 
Thread starter
1f6784e458496292c62d26c0d7a60f1c.png


Stunning scenery and jaw-dropping food pics (great close-ups)! The gauntlet has been laid down by GaryMNM. Anyone willing to step up and mount a challenge to that last post?!
 
Stichill_imp said:
1f6784e458496292c62d26c0d7a60f1c.png


Stunning scenery and jaw-dropping food pics (great close-ups)! The gauntlet has been laid down by GaryMNM. Anyone willing to step up and mount a challenge to that last post?!
Heh, heh, heh, uh those did come out a tad big. :blush: Still working on coming up with a decent image host so they're (pic's) consistent and not all over the place.
 
Imgur or Postimage, Gary.
 
Great report, Django. Have you ridden the Stelio Pass? How does it compare?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Great report, Django. Have you ridden the Stelio Pass? How does it compare?
I personally would prefer the Transfăgărășan to the Stelvio pass. The interesting part of the Stelvio is the east ramp. However, it is just a collection of straights and hairpin bends, however, a very long collection (48 numbered bends).



The Transfăgărășan is much more complex and interesting with round bends and S-curves. But the altitude is not that high as the Stelvio.

More info: Stelvio Pass - Wikipedia

Second from left is my black BMW K1100RS at the Stelvio pass, Oktober 2012:
7853ea116dc86ac0fe00a2b048330465.jpg


Well, may be, you should put both of them on your check list... :D
 
I will. More and more I'm wondering how I can organize 3 months riding in Europe and the U.K. There's lots to do.
 
Thread starter
10e2a2b74788394a1c32d4386308425b.png


Nice follow-up, Django! I'd welcome your meal and ride any time!

I agree with your assessment of Stelvio..although I've not ridden that pass, I have ridden other Alpine passes and some of them really are just a series of straights and hard U-turns. Obviously challenging if you are a sport rider but for touring it's just some 1st-gear work to get through some corners...not really so exciting. I prefer a good road full of nice round bends and S-curves as you described.
GaryMNM_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
1f6784e458496292c62d26c0d7a60f1c.png


Stunning scenery and jaw-dropping food pics (great close-ups)! The gauntlet has been laid down by GaryMNM. Anyone willing to step up and mount a challenge to that last post?!
Heh, heh, heh, uh those did come out a tad big. :blush: Still working on coming up with a decent image host so they're (pic's) consistent and not all over the place.
I use imgur.com and re-size offline to something 1200 pixels or less wide.

In the past I used postimg.org. A nice feature is links to a variety of resolutions, however they have had outages on occasion that are frustrating.
 
Thread starter
Zipped home from work on the bike around lunchtime today to inspect a contractor's work and pay him. Mrs. Stichill was gracious enough to have lunch ready for me: grilled ham and American cheese on wheat with a side of fries. :heart:

a829a178047375213b611ee86b4693bc.jpg
 
I love this thread. I like the pictures. I like the food discussion. I like the riding destinations.

I am not very tech-savvy, but I would love to see a spreadsheet (like the mileage or VIN sheets) of places, broken down by country (or at least continent), and state/province, with the address, the type of cuisine, and maybe a few notes from the person who's recommending the place. It could be a great resource for riders as they plan a motorcycle trip. I'd be happy to do this, but I have no idea how. Anyhow, it's just a thought.
 
Thread starter
Sea, a publicly shared Google Doc - from someone with an anonymous Google account to protect their privacy - might do the trick. I'm not someone with an anonymous account, however. :P
 
Back
Top