Live to Ride...Ride to Eat

Stichill

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm on vacation, weather was 45° F / 7° C and sunshine, so I planned a 150-mile round trip to get a good cheeseburger in Stamping Ground, Kentucky (far south end of this map). I started near the spot labeled Kentucky 467 and headed south, did the southern loop clockwise, backtracked a bit and completed the northern loop clockwise and back to the start.

8eae859cb72716d3cd74fb3c24b8978f.jpg


4f61dd21ac6d8e5ec9feb4f8344a8ed7.jpg


1061ae55668984f2b3cd73721cf892b2.jpg


8450022e549089063120734153b31258.jpg


b8d28d175fba98eb2e12308afed6c6ae.jpg


Gracie's Place in Stamping Ground is not much to look at from the outside. If you didn't know it was there, you'd probably miss it.
222ffdf3f133e15e52395631de4f1e25.jpg


3ac4ea115563dda1c26ea9c98c308f93.jpg


...but they make an awesome double cheeseburger deluxe with shoestring fries.
12300f1ad6479b02d4e875e983dad687.jpg


Chomp!
81c7083ab05e44d7099cb7a868b42bd2.jpg
 
Really? I've been thru Stamping Ground lots of times. RT 227 is the road I call " too many curves". I took Empty Sea down that road a couple years ago when he was passing thru on his way to a friends funeral. We hooked a left at Georgetown and ate at the Wendys by I-75. Had we known we'd have stopped at Gracies instead.
 
Thread starter
Ha ha, yes RT 227 will give you a workout! One of my all-time favorite roads...I sure wish they'd re-pave it!

Here's my story from August 2014 when I discovered it:

While I was stopped to get gas in Stamping Ground, Kentucky, I asked an elderly African-American man in a pickup if there was a good place around here to get lunch.

He said "Why yes, there's two of 'em!" He jumped out of his truck and pointed up the road to a grocery store. "There's one of 'em right there."

Then he walked me out to the main street and pointed back the way I had come. "Right up here, I'd say...I'd say 'bout a hundred yards...yeah, a hundred yards...it's called Gracie's Place."

It was a great tip - Gracie's Place was just what I was looking for.
 
Nice Report. I have suggested that there be a RTE Category where people could post a thread or two about places worth a stop. That never really got off the ground, but maybe if enough people talk about their favorite eateries and the routes that take them there, we might be able to convince the authorities to set something up.
 
Thread starter
Woo hoo! Yes this thread is about making you hungry! There's no better motivation to get out and ride than the tantalizing anticipation of a good meal at your destination. :)

Here are a few more memorable food ride pics for your mouth-watering viewing pleasure:

Breakfast ride to Granny's Home Cooking in Vevay, Indiana: country fried steak, white sausage gravy, two eggs, biscuit, coffee. Less than USD $7.00.

Who needs lunch after this?!

6782c2d0d224c96ecf27c9e94868c0a9.jpg


Lunch hour ride to Marckesanos Pizza near Richwood, Kentucky for a baked Italian combo:

a5e6b45c33f89a449c9fb509b5ff9782.jpg


Another lunch hour ride to Noce's Pizzaria in Edgewood, Kentucky for some New York style (very hard to get around here!):

116189d1decafa438b3e7eede990d5aa.jpg
 
Amazing country down there. Twisties, hills and lots to see. Just snowed up here today in Mass. so it's nice to see some good roads and decent temps for winter rides. I love eating at those non chain places where the food is not all perfectly shaped.
 
Thread starter
I'm with you, nhawk. Nothing against chain restaurants but I enjoy the variety and surprise of a one-off establishment.

Here's today's food ride: I headed east on a 90-minute ride toward Augusta, Kentucky on the Ohio River (a town that will be familiar to ferret and maybe EmptySea, among others).

There are several upscale and trendy places to eat in Augusta...this isn't one of them! :rofl:

2f98178350c0dc610eb408586d764182.jpg


Pork tenderloin sandwich and onion rings...not up to my size expectations for a tenderloin, but it tasted good...hit the spot.

f2fa2cbea322acc407706b578c9647cc.jpg
 
We eat at the General Store there in Augusta at corner of Main and Water St down by the railroad car. Good little place to eat.

I took Sea and his group thru Augusta over to some good roads a couple years ago. Sea it's the town on the Ky side right when you get off the Ferry
 
Thread starter
New Year's Day Ride...kicked it off with lunch at Waffle House with a couple of guys in our motorcycle club.

fa450712c0d24b513e38672fb33ece5d.jpg


47ec04d37afe68cfd34fda4cc01908fd.jpg
 
Too cold today for me to even think about riding.

Did they put cheese on those hash browns? I've never seen that.

Nice looking GT. Mine's white but I really like the blue too.
 
Thread starter
We had a high temperature around 43°F / 6°C so it was pretty good riding today. Love the GT...it's like a big brother to my CBR.

Yes, Waffle House will put all kinds of stuff on hashbrowns...pretty much anything you can think of:

1935d2424e161ee7b06163729e96fab1.jpg
 
I usually just put a little salt on mine
 
Redbirds and I have had a couple of rides to eat. Actually we're due for another one...

Steve
:shy:
Steve
:shy:
Steve
:shy:

I'll be adding to this thread soon. I'm a sucker for a good cheeseburger.
 
Hope birds is OK. He's gone a bit quiet on us lately.
 
Back
Top