Liking this new Shoei GT Air

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Had this helmet for a few weeks now( hence the sale of my 2 other Shoei's).
Just like the J-Cruise I use in the summer, the GT Air has the dark visor that comes down, VERY useful, quiet and the pinlock shield is amazing at stopping fog.
Feels like my head is riding in a Porsche :-)

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/gt-air/
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Had this helmet for a few weeks now( hence the sale of my 2 other Shoei's).
Just like the J-Cruise I use in the summer, the GT Air has the dark visor that comes down, VERY useful, quiet and the pinlock shield is amazing at stopping fog.
Feels like my head is riding in a Porsche :-)

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/gt-air/
I bought the RF1100 this past June. I love the helmet although I wish now I had bought the Air just for the drop down sun shield.
 
Thread starter
Yep, I wanted that sun shield so bad I was willing to sell my other 2 helmets on eBay for a 50% loss.
I also realized I was using the J-Cruise all the time because it also has the sun shield, but since it is a 3/4 helmet was not best fro the cooler temps.
Maybe it was the clear sunny September we had that is to blame :-)
 
The sun shield is extremely handy on the GT-Air and the helmet overall is nice and cool in the warmer weather thanks to the top helmet ventilation. Definitely worth the extra $.
 
I like my HJC BT MAX with Sun Shield at 1/3 the price. As with all of these there is no visor above to keep the sun from beating in as you would have with an open face helmet. The sun shield alone does not do that.
 
Anyone own both the GT Air and the RF1100? How do they compare with regard to ventilation? I currently have an RF1100 and it's ventilation isn't the greatest, IMO. The front vent shoots straight up into my eyes (making wearing contacts quite a chore), and the front head vents don't seem to do anything except when it's cold. It's also rather noisy.
 
Similar questions: I have an RF-1000 which after wearing for an hour hurts. I'm looking into the GT but noticed it's heavier than the RF-1000. What are your thoughts around the weight?
 
Thread starter
I think the reviews said it was 3lb, 11oz? but some people said because it is more aero, that it slips through the wind easier which causes less fatigue. Has not bothered me yet, and I have a 15 1/2 " neck. Like others, I would say this medium is a little tighter then the other 3 Shoei Mediums I have/had.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
For those saying the Shoei sizes hurt, I recommend trying an Arai. The long oval seems to fit my big head juuuuuuuust right :)
I was going to say, if the helmet physically hurts one's head, it's probably the wrong shape and the person should look at another model or brand.
 
I find the drop down sun shield in my HJC is not dark enough. It helps, but on sunny days I still need to wear sunglasses, and on low sun rides I'd prefer a visor or peak or bill whatever you want to call it. Beats a blank though.
 
The RF-1200 just came out. It has an extra forehead vent over the RF-1100, it's lighter and smaller than the RF-1100, and I heard that Shoei is going to come out with a Transitions® visor for it (I could swear I've heard that before, though).
 
AzBob_imp said:
Anyone own both the GT Air and the RF1100? How do they compare with regard to ventilation? I currently have an RF1100 and it's ventilation isn't the greatest, IMO. The front vent shoots straight up into my eyes (making wearing contacts quite a chore), and the front head vents don't seem to do anything except when it's cold. It's also rather noisy.
Bob,
I just bought the RF1100, had my mind made up on the GT Air until a tried both on at a local dealer. I was in-between sizes on the GT. Med fit a bit big and the small was too tight. The RF1100 fit perfect. I suggest to go try them on at a dealer before ordering online.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
RF1200 has no sun visor :-( Not sure if it comes with pinlock or not.
Right, but if they come out with the Transitions® shield, you won't need a sun visor. Yes, it comes with a pinlock-ready shield.

That being said, I ride day and night with my dark smoke shield and don't have a problem seeing unless I'm somewhere with absolutely no street lights, in which case I just lift the shield because it's probably a road with a 45mph or less speed limit anyway. But that's me.
 
Thread starter
Geez, my transition sunglasses cost over $200, wonder how much an entire shield of same would cost? Also, most sunglass and bicycle stores I went to for my bicycle glasses did warn me that transition is not very quick, they did not recommend them for mountain biking IF I expected them to switch from light to dark or back in seconds, it actually takes minutes...so if you are riding down a road, and the sun is shining through trees there is no way transition lenses can go back and forth in a timely manner...just pointing this out, what ever works for each person is fine.
 
Back
Top