Like Willie Nelson..On the road again!

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Wow it's been 9 days since I was able to ride, but the weather terrorist said the next few days were going to be nice (relative term for you desert dwellers, so Cal guys and Aussies) so I was determined to get out.

Waited until the warmer part of the day, about 2:00 when the temp had climbed to 40 and pushed the ST out and warmed it up. As you can see the remnants of the last few days of snow is still very evident. A lot different than the pics from redbirds recent thread and makes me wish I sometimes lived someplace a little warmer



Once I had 2 bars on the temp gauge I threw my thermos and an energy bar in the tank bag and took off

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/ST%20ride%20Feb%2018%202016%20006_zpstcev1b31.jpg.html]

I took the back way out to one of the state highways that runs north and south and runs a ridge down to the river. Once I hit the river I headed east until I came to the ferry crossing between Ripley Ohio and Augusta Kentucky. It would be here watching the ferry that I would drink my tea and eat my snack

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/ST%20ride%20Feb%2018%202016%20011_zpsypfizzlm.jpg.html]

the wind was blowing pretty strong. As you can see both the take off ramp in Kentucky and the landing ramp in Ohio are directly iin front of my bike, but the ferry was being blown a good piece down river as it crossed

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/ST%20ride%20Feb%2018%202016%20013_zpsxapyk1hl.jpg.html]

check out the flags flying on the deck of the ferry and the angle it's on as it tries to go back up river to get to the Ohio landing

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/ST%20ride%20Feb%2018%202016%20014_zpsdfuwhuys.jpg.html]

Finally it makes it to the ramp and unloads it's one passenger, a pick up truck which paid $4 to cross the river rather than drive 40 miles around.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/ST%20ride%20Feb%2018%202016%20015_zpsfkwgkpyq.jpg.html]

Tea and snack consumed I fired the ST up and headed back west to home.

GREAT to be back riding again!
 
Glad you got out today ferret! We've lost quite a bit of snow earlier this week so I may get out this weekend (predicting low 50s). :)

Have you taken the ferry with the bike?
 
Thread starter
curlyjoe_imp said:
Glad you got out today ferret! We've lost quite a bit of snow earlier this week so I may get out this weekend (predicting low 50s). :)

Have you taken the ferry with the bike?
Hope you get out Joe, it feels great to ride after a period of not riding.

We have taken the ferry many, many times. Shortest route to some great roads in northern Kentucky. Motorcycles are only $2 to cross, and they let you load first and get off first. Like I said it's 40 miles to go around.

I've also ridden a ferry across the Kentucky River in central Kentucky and from New York to Vermont across Lake Champlain. Now that was a serious Ferry ride.
 
4 dollars is a bargain in my eyes, its around $300 round trip on the island ferry($75 for MCs). Beautiful country your in Ferret. It may be cold today but it will be perfect soon and the the boys west and south will be complaining about the heat.
 
At least one of us in the very distant south is already complaining about the heat!

Glad to hear you're on the road again, Willy. Hope it continues.
 
Thread starter
Lol not a note..at least not on key.

My fingers would ache with cold too if not for the heated grips and snowmobile mitts.
 
Great ride Gunga Din. If it was cold enough for snow I would not even venture outdoors but glad that you made it.

River crossings by ferry are a treat on any journey. I made that trip across Lake Champlain once, very scenic.
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
Tomorrow will be a mid spring day in Ohio.70 here in NC golf day for sure
Yep, they are saying 65 tomorrow! woo hoo. Unfortunately I have a grandsons birthday party right at 4 pm, the warmest part of the day, but will get in a good ride before it.

Golf? :cool:


EmptySea_imp said:
I've been on that ferry!

Glad you got out, Mickey. Spring will be there soon. :)
yes you did Sea ..here's proof



and what it led to

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/empty%20sea%20026_zps7gr7rkqj.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
Met my brother for lunch then went riding. 126 miles today. Warm in low to mid 60's but holy smokes was it windy. Winds up to 30 mph. Rode a lot at a 20 degree angle going straight lol. Will see if any of the pics turned out that would illustrate this. Still a good ride!
 
Thread starter
 
You can see your brother leaning into it too.

Careful near tall buildings. Wind can do some very strange things around them. I used to have a Honda C90 and the occasional gust around one building I'd ride by would nearly lift it off the road.
 
Thread starter
well no wonder we were getting blown around..the 30 mph winds on weatherbug were the steady winds.. on the news they said we had gusts to 60 mph.

Bunch of trees down in the area (and electric out) thanks to the Emerald Ash borer killing them, then the wind gusts pushing them over.
 
That would explain it
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol not a note..at least not on key.

My fingers would ache with cold too if not for the heated grips and snowmobile mitts.
Another of motorcyclings many unsung joys is singing in your helmet. The equivalent of playing air guitar, or singing in the shower. :).

Cheers
 
Back
Top