Letters From West Virginia

The ferret_imp said:
Awesome stuff Matt. I am enjoying this so much.

I have a compass app on my phone and it also on the same page as the compass lists latitide and longitude, and elevation. My wife says it came on the phone. It's icon is a black square cpmpass and it simply says compass below it.

My wife just grabbed her phone and looked some up and says there are many elevation apps available

You have an iPhone, Ferret? My iPhone compass shows latitude and longitude but not elevation. Curious.
 
Lol.. Yep my kids talked me into it earlier this year. I dont have data that I know of... I dont do internet on it, just calls, texts and some handy apps for traveling. One of which allows my wife to see where I am when riding. Weather, hotel finder, gas finder, google maps.....

Mine has the altitude right below the lat/long

I am at 790 ft right now, and I'm facing the tv 111 degrees east lol
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the compliments. I just read the letters aloud to my 93 year old mother and noticed that they're rife with typos and punctuation errors. I will correct those
 
Wow 93, good for her. That's amazing to me.nobody in my family has ever made it to 80. Happy for ya Sea, you are in many ways a very lucky man.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Mickey. We are lucky indeed.

Any way that you can use your considerable internet powers to allow me to edit my posts above which are past the editable stage?
 
Not that I know of. I can fix it for you if you send me a list of corrections. Otherwise I am sure we can live with a few errors, given the quality of the body of work.
 
Thread starter
I'll send you a list..but not at the moment. Typos are the bane of my existence as a writer.
 
Thread starter
13 October 2016 - Thursday

Sweetheart,

As I write this note to you, I am seated with Mike A and Glen at a small wrought iron picnic table on the white-railed "front porch" (AKA smoking area) of the Country Inn & Suites-Charleston South. Mike G is still upstairs on a business-related phone call and I have not the slightest notion where the girls are. The three of us are enjoying cigars and admiring the view of the parking lot, with the backsides of the Marathon Station and The Texas Steakhouse beyond it and the extra tall signage for various motels, gas stations, and a McDonalds standing sentry on the perimeter of our views, visible to I-64 which roars just a few hundred feet around the back of our motel. A far cry from the pastoral view of farm fields protected by a ring of mountains we had from our motel in Marlinton and easily the least-picturesque of any of our stays thus far.

The hotel is clean and the staff polite, though, so it promises to be a relatively comfortable night for us. Although, Mike saw a news story about a rash of high-end motorcycle thefts in our area so we moved the bikes into a parking formation that we thought would make it difficult for the bad guys to prevail in their larcenous endeavor. I'm not worried since my bike is wedged between Glen's K1600GTL and Laura's F6B, both much more coveted than my CB1100, unless the thief is over 60 and cut his riding teeth on a CB750.

The sky has cleared, but it was pretty rainy for a few hours around midday and overcast for most of our ride before and after that.

It was "Moving Day" today and it will be one-night stands (so to speak) for us for the next two nights. That means I will have to fully load my motorbike each morning and unload it at night. It's not a big hassle, but I don't think the others fully appreciate the convenience their top and side cases provide. All the same, I'm fine with a couple of waterproof duffle bags and my CB1100 for these trips. The rack I bought from Ole gives me all the storage room I need. It was worth the 150 mile round trip to Wisconsin in 30 degree temps to pick it up.

We would have a little test of all of our waterproof gear today, but it was dry early on. Our destination was Charleston, WV which is due west of Marlinton. Mike's original route for the day would have taken us north on 219 then west for a little bit, then south back to 219 before heading south and then east to White Sulphur Springs and then, finally, northwest to Charleston. A perfect motorcycling route, if you ask me. However, due to the threat of weather, we decided to forego the northern and eastern curves in this S-shaped route. This still left us going south when we should be going west, but there were a couple of points of interest that Mike wanted us to see which necessitated the southerly direction.

Oh...remember that "must see" of Mike's, Beartown State Park? Yeah, well we got back to Marlinton yesterday too late to stop there and the impending rain scared us off of a morning "bike and hike". Just another reason to get our butts and and our bikes back here soon. Mike still wanted to stop at The Greenbrier Resort which is why the route took us to White Sulphur Springs. The Greenbrier is one of the oldest resorts in the U.S., but it's so out of our league, I don't know much about it. Mike says it's a beautiful facility and we might be able to eat lunch there. That was good enough for us, so off we went.

The ride down 219 to Lewisburg was not as curvy, but just as enjoyable as any of our rides on this road. Our start was delayed just a bit as they were repaving the 219 right in front of the motel and for a few miles south. The pilot truck was just to our left as we waited in the hotel driveway for it and, after a few minutes, we were once again the first vehicles behind the pilot as he lead us around the construction. All of this was especially funny to us because so many of the roads we've been on have been recently repaved and we had just "thanked" Mike for calling ahead to make sure the surfaces were perfect for our trip. We complained to him at lunch for not making sure that 219 wasn't finished in advance of this morning's departure.

Here's our route map for the day. I highlighted the two stops Mike had planned for us. The first was a bit of a bust, but the second and an on-the-fly third made up for it.


Yes, of course it's OK with me if you drive up to Appleton on Saturday to see Justin's concert live. He doesn't say so very often, but I know that he likes when we come to hear him play. He's like any other college kid, though, so don't be surprised if he has plans after the concert that don't include you. Just enjoy the show. Maybe you can make a stop at Horicon Marsh on your way there or back; there may still be birds in migration there. Just drive safely, please.

US219 is straighter and flatter south of Marlinton than I had expected, but it still cuts through an exceptionally beautiful part of our country. The only interesting landmark I saw was Pearl S. Buck's birthplace. I suppose we should have stopped, but here's another place to see......yeah you know the rest. A bit of a pun, or at least a play on words, but riding a motorcycle does give one a special view of this good Earth.

So The Greenbrier was a bust for us, but we got there by way of Lewisburg, which is billed as "The coolest small town in America". We did not stop here, except at a rather long stop light on a hill. Lots of small shops and restaurants and bars. Could be a great 'home base' for us next time.

The problem with The Greenbrier for us was that we just wanted to either ride up to the hotel and get a peek or park at the entrance and walk around and maybe have lunch (plus, I thought it would be a great photo op with all our bikes lined up in front of the main building). The guard at the front gate told me that we were not allowed to do the former and, if we wanted to do the latter, there was a parking lot at the bottom of the hill where we could pay $5 each to park, but that included a shuttle ride to the resort. When I asked if we could pull our line off to the side to discuss the options, he rather curtly recommended that I "probably want to do that down at the bottom of the hill". I made an executive decision that it wasn't worth $5 a person to see a hotel, even a great hotel. We paraded around the guardhouse and headed back through the Coolest Town and on to our next stop, which was SO not a bust.

Before I forget, I want to thank you again for your help with my mom. I haven't asked you about her because a) you're not at home and b) I've been getting very positive updates about her from my sibs. I don't know if I would have been able to be as calm at the hospital last Friday if you hadn't been there. I that the weakness she was feeling for the last month was related to the blockage because Bridget tells me that she's more energetic a few days after the angio-whateveritscalled than she's been in the few months prior. Pretty amazing for a 93 year old. I felt a little guilty about leaving the next day after, but you, mom, and my sisters did a great job of assuring me that there was nothing to worry about. So far you all were right and I am eternally grateful.

By now, you're probably wondering about pictures. I haven't asked Judy why, but I assume that the threat of rain kept the camera under wraps pretty much for the entirety of the day. We did get a couple of good ones at our next stop -- New River Gorge Bridge.

The New River Gorge is the largest steel arch bridge in the Western Hemisphere and it is a marvel to see, standing some 900 feet above its namesake river and connecting a 3,000 foot gap between the gorge's walls. Once a year, this Saturday in fact, they shut US19 down at the bridge for "Bridge Day" and folks come from all over the world to BASE jump and rappel off the bridge. They even have a 700' zip line that takes folks from the top of the bridge arch down to the bottom. If you were here, I'm sure we would have stayed the extra day so that you could BASE jump. HaHa!

Anyhow, we had a great time at the bridge. It was made especially good because it rained fairly hard for the 10-20 miles prior to our arrival. My Honda Racing jacket held up well in the rain, but it wasn't like the deluge we endured in Arkansas and again in Wisconsin last year. If the rain worsened, I would have had to stop and don my Revit gear. Mike and I checked out the gift shop (got another sticker or two) and then caught up to the rest of the gang down about 100,000 stairs from the visitor center. Just then, Ronnie Facetimed me to tell me about a funny thing that happened in her Poli-Sci class. She even got to say hi to everyone else and see the bridge. The kid has good timing.

I called this picture "Gorge-Us" on Instagram (Get it?? LOL)....
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2407_zpsgtasyvjs.jpg.html]

It is a truly amazing structure. Hard to get an idea of the sheer size of it, but if you look close, you can see a couple of semis crossing the span.


This shot was taken from the same spot as the last shot just facing the opposite direction. Should give a bit of perspective as to the height of the bridge.


We left the bridge (no, we never actually rode across it) in a light rain. Mike knew of another state park and a quick check of the internet showed that they have a restaurant, so off to Hawk's Nest State Park we went. Hawk's Nest SP is a pretty little, well not so little, state park which overlooks the New River. You can easily spot the Gorge bridge from its bluffs, although I did not capture a picture of that because that would have involved me taking a hike and you know how I hate me a hike.

In the late 1920s, Union Carbide funded a project that diverted the flow of the New River by tunneling through a mountain around which the river flowed. In the process of digging the tunnel, Silica was discovered and a mining operation cropped up. Poor safety precautions, such as a lack of masks and other breathing apparatuses, lead to one of the largest industrial disasters in US history. There were 109 proven deaths from silicosis with some estimates as high as 1000 deaths of the total of 3000 workers directly or indirectly related to mining Hawk's Nest Tunnel. On the other hand, they have a pretty cool restaurant with a great view built right above the hydroelectric dam fed by the tunnel.

We arrived at lunch just minutes before the restaurant closed for the day. Food was good. Service was slow, but friendly and it was probably slow since we were at he very end of their day. I tried to take a couple of pictures to show you the view, but it was still over cast and I don't have the photographic skills to light the dark restaurant with the light background without getting a flash on the window. But here's what I got....
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2420_zpswqoe9icx.jpg.html]

I thought the poster over Mike's head was funny and kind of looked like him a little bit LOL
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2421_zpsinytv5l7.jpg.html]

The rest of the ride has no photos, but it was really interesting. The first few miles of 60 after Hawk's Nest are pretty curvy. It was still drizzly at this point so I remained calm. 60 follows the New River until the river splits into two other rivers and 60 follows the left fork which is the Kanawha River. It was at this point that we rode through five or six small industrial town which, to me, have their own special beauty: massive industrial buildings along the river, tiny little houses stacked on top of one another up the side of the bluff, and old brick buildings which house or used to house hardware stores and gas stations and car dealers and laundromats. Quite a contrast to the golden canopy we were riding under just the other day. It was fitting that it was over cast and drizzling at this point in our ride; it really set the scene.

I think it was Alloy, WV where I saw the first sign. "We Will Re-Open" spray painted on a piece of plywood in front of what looked like a bar. Then, "Propane Dryers We're Open!" on a coin-operated laundry. It began to dawn on me that the dirty little storefronts with their windows broken were not that way because of the economic downturn, but rather because of the June flooding. it looked to me that some of these buildings were almost completely underwater. The devastation became more and more obvious as I looked for it. Sometimes I'm so busy watching for traffic in a town that I miss the town. It was pretty quiet here and, with the river to our left, there was very little in the way of crossroads. I am going to read up on the plant in Alloy. I suspect it was a Union Carbide plant when there was a Union Carbide, but I wonder what it is now and how it survived the flood as it is located right on the water. Remind me to do some research on this for my 'ride report' for the Forum. ;)

We hopped on I-64 for 5 miles or so, endured the craziness of that and of the odd access road to our motel and our riding day was complete.

There is a debate about restaurants. Texas Steakhouse or Lone Star Steakhouse? Oh...we just decided that we're walking to Lone Star. I hope they can make me a martini. I LOVE me a martini.

Time to go. We're meeting Mickey tomorrow and he's got plans for us. I'm a little nervous! LOL

Hope you got home safe and sound. How'd your leg hold up during the long drive? Can't wait to see you Sunday.

Love you. Oh and the cigar was great! :)

MTC
 
MTC, that's a fantastic shot of the New River Gorge Bridge. ChipBeck would probably be up for a base jump. I certainly would not. Other memories are triggered by this chapter of the report. Union Carbide—when there was a Union Carbide—had a plant in Tasmania, Australia in a town called Electrona where carbide for manufacturing acetylene gas was produced. It was established in 1909 and ran until the 1980s. The carbide was taken by sea to the port in Hobart on an old gaff-rigged sailing ship called the May Queen which still sits in Hobart in a dry dock.
 
Another stellar installment Sea. YOu know some things just tickle me and really help a story, like when you used the term motorbike. A rarely used term that would have been popular in the 30's or 40's maybe, but absolutly charming when used in your modern day story.

It's amazing how many of the exact same pictures, only with different people in them I have in my albums. Lol. The next time you go down and take Cheryl, let me advise you on some other roads to ride and other places to stop, see and eat at while there. The area is rich in good roads to ride, neat attractions and quaint restaurants, like you like. You can base in one place and will only have to load and unload your motorbikes once lol.
 
Thread starter
Hi Honey,

Today we said goodbye to Mike G., hello to Mickey, took a side trip down memory lane, and left West Virginia in our mirrors as we began the almost 600 mile, two day trek home. Quite a day.

Mike G. was torn between finishing our week together and missing his mother's annual family Michigan State Football Weekend, but ultimately he decided that family harmony tilted the scales toward Michigan. He left about a half-hour ahead of us, deciding to use his Waze app to guide him on the fastest route possible to Flint. Then he and Jennifer, and, I assume, other family members would drive to East Lansing for the game. We got a text that he arrived safe in Flint at about 5:00. About 500 miles in about 9 hours; not too bad.

So, we headed out in fairly warm temperatures and hopped on the way-too-close-to-our-motel I-64 to hightail it to "memory lane" which, in this case, was Barboursville, WV. Barboursville, as it turns out, is the boyhood home to our very own Dr. Mike A. (it suddenly occurs to me that Mike might prefer "Doc Mike" to "Bump-start Mike". We'll have to noodle that a bit).

I really do not like riding on the interstate in a group during rush hour. Solo, it's just mildly irksome tension, but leading a group multiplies the tension by the number of riders lead. A little too nerve-wracking for my taste, but once we got out of Charleston, it was clear sailing to Barboursville. We exited and Mike jumped into the lead to take us past his old home. It took him a little bit of time to feel his way around, including one side-trip down a steep hill to a dead end, but some of the streets and many of the homes were not there when he was a boy. Eventually, though, he lead us down his little cul-de-sac to a small, post-war, brick ranch. Everything on the street looked a little dated now, but I tried to imagine it as it was 60 years ago, with young veterans starting families, working hard all day while their kids played ball in the street lined with small, shiny-new houses.

Mike and Judy knocked on his old front door and a nice, elderly gentleman greeted them. They talked a bit and learned that one of Mike's original neighbors still lived in the same home. Unfortunately, the neighbor was in ill-health (about to go to hospice, in fact) so Mike did not try to make contact. It was really nice to be part of Mike's re-connection to his past; made me (and all of us, I think) feel closer to him.

Mike, Judy and the current occupant.


I started to get a little chillier as the morning wore on. I feel that the interstate tends to suck warmth from a rider, both literally and figuratively. Fortunately, our stint on the the interstate would end shortly after Barboursville as we crossed the mighty Ohio in Huntington and hopped on US52 to take us to meet one of my, and I think your, favorite people, Mickey, the Ferret.

Our meet up spot was McDonald's in Ironton, OH. I think we were on time, but of course, Mickey was early or at least earlier than we were. We parked and a few of us immediately went into the restaurant to relieve ourselves and for me to get a small coffee. Like I said, it was chilly.

Since Mike G. bailed (or is that "baled"... I need to look that up...OK "bailed" is correct), Mickey knew all of us and he held court for a bit while we stretched and warmed ourselves.

[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2430_zpsjs1pc2k0.jpg.html]

I'm watching the webcast of Justin's concert right now. Was that him to the left in the balcony? The fanfare sounded great, but I couldn't tell if it was him for sure. It's so dark up there. Haydn is next. I can't recall if he likes playing Haydn or not. It amazes me how much he knows about these ancient composers. Pretty cool. When did you let him know you were there? Did you wait until after the concert? I wish I was there live -- the internet sucks at the Hampton Cincinnati.

Well, Mickey sure knows and loves southern Ohio. He took us on quite a tour. First stop was in Portsmouth for lunch at The Scioto Ribber. That's the steak place that I told you that Mickey loves. He knows how much I love me a steak so he made sure that we timed it right to get there for lunch.

It was a straight shot west on 52 and then just a couple of left turns and into the parking lot. Smoke from the massive grills filled the air and had me drooling. They cook everything outdoors and it's quite an amazing production with dozens of steaks and chops grilling at once and the cooks making sure that each one is cooked to order. I asked one of them what cut I should order and he immediately said "rib-eye". You now how I love me a rib-eye, so I wound up ordering that. I did not regret my decision one bit. No one did. The cash register freaked out and delayed our departure, but that was the only glitch in what was otherwise a fantastic lunch.

I think I would title this one "Road-weary and Ravenous"
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2431_zpsmkizxlgo.jpg.html]

Mickey and Me
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2438_zpshrahkum7.jpg.html]

Want to make a guy smile? Put him in close proximity to meat and flames.
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2435_zps37cc1fv7.jpg.html]

Grillmaster General
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2443_zpsw8rgthn2.jpg.html]

The finished product
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2449_zpsnyvtazgq.jpg.html]

Immediately after lunch, Mickey took us just a few blocks from the restaurant toward the Ohio River. In the 1930s, the City of Portsmouth felt it necessary to build a flood wall. It's quite a structure in its own right, but in the 90s, the city commissioned an artist to paint a series of murals depicting significant events in Portsmouth history on the 20-foot high walls. Mickey says that one guy did all the painting, but I don't know if he meant that the artist did the designs and had a crew to do the painting or if he literally painted every stroke on the walls. Either way, it's a half mile long, 20-foot high masterpiece that needs to be seen to be fully enjoyed. We should come back to Portsmouth for the mural and the meat.

I hope this gives you a little perspective of the magnitude of this installation.
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_0127_zpsyuptzsvc.jpg.html]

"Riding" my retro motorcycle down the streets of a retro Portsmouth
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2456%20Edited_zps9bhiuj6p.jpg.html]

The Nation's Oldest Motorcycling Club as backdrop for one of the nation's oldest motorcyclists. (would have been pretty cool to hang with these guys, I think). LOL
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2457%20Edited_zps0thj2jct.jpg.html]

We could have easily spent hours learning of the local history and appreciating these wonderful art pieces, but Mickey wanted to show us the beauty of the roads leading to and surrounding his home. Because we had a large (and delicious) lunch, he felt that it was important that we work up an appetite for our dinner. Did I mention to you that he invited us to dinner? All 6 of us? To his house? Just like when we first met him, he's just a genuinely nice guy.

I forgot to ask Judy if she grabbed any pictures from today's roads and we've all said our "good nights" so I'll just describe my impressions now in the hopes that I can show you more pictures when I get home:

Great roads, but nothing crazy. I felt like he took us up and down, away and toward, north and south, from the Ohio River, using US52 as a westbound connection from one twisted loop to the next. I may be wrong about this, but that's how it felt. I recall being on the US Highway at least twice during our roundabout trip west. I have to tell you that you probably would never see me in the hours after work and before dark if we lived as close to so many enjoyable roads as does Mickey.

On one of our drop-downs to the river and US52, we stopped for fuel. I fumbled my credit card and, when I bent over to pick it up, I spied this view and thought it was compelling enough to snap a picture.
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/D6E34855-EE93-499E-B7AF-02A98AA2A2F2_zpsnt70ip9v.jpg.html]

By the way, it looks like a cooling tower for a nuclear power plant, but the plant is coal-fired. It was designed to be nuclear, but they had regulatory (shocking) and some structural issues so they canned the nuclear deal and went with coal. At least that's what Wikipedia tells me. LOL

One of the good/not-so-good things about following Mickey on this section is that I had no idea where I was or where I was going. Good, because I didn't have to worry about time or direction. Bad because I cannot relay where exactly I was. I remember being in (or near) Georgetown and Bethel and a town called Higginsport. I don't recall if we actually rode through those towns, but I remember seeing signs announcing their proximity. Mickey once, well more than once, posted about "His Road" which is his 'go-to' road to ride close to his house; as an example, Sheridan Road through the Ravines is MY road. Well, we rode his road, too, but I don't know its name, either.

We had a splendid afternoon of riding through forest and field, serpentining our way west along the north (or sometimes west) bank of the Ohio River. Our destination was Mickey's home where we would meet his wife, his grandson, and son and daughter-in-law. Grandson stayed for dinner.

You would like their house and would love Dianne. She was ready for us when we arrived and we had a delightful half-hour or so of visiting before our When-in-Rome dinner of Skyline Chili (any of 5 ways) and Coneys ("Chili Dogs" to you and me). Absolutely delicious and a perfect meal to end a cool fall riding day.

Dianne is a potter. She has a mantleful of vases and other pots that she has thrown and fired. Out of the blue, she says "Each of you can take one with you". What? Who does that? She had to have spent hours on each one and here she's giving them to virtual strangers. I picked one that I thought would go well with the watercolor of Horicon Marsh that Megan made for you. Two art pieces from two riders' wives --the beginning of a collection, perhaps?

I'm sure you'd have rather seen a picture of their deck or the front of their house, but this is what made their home beautiful, I think....LOL
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2462_zpsin7f2tws.jpg.html]

Actually....THIS is what made their home beautiful
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2465%20Edited_zpsuli27tdr.jpg.html]

Our well-fed crew
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/AtMickeys_zpsbgrcz7ew.jpg.html]

Mickey led us back out of his sub-division and all the way to our motel. I saw more deer in his sub-division today than in the entirety of our last three big motorcycle trips. Just a tiny bit disconcerting.

This is my only roommate-free night of the trip. We all miss Mike and I know he would have loved to meet Mickey and Dianne (and the steak). Since you're in Appleton, I will be roommate-free tomorrow night when I return home. I'll miss you just a bit more than I miss Mike....just a bit.

Well, J's concert is over. Another awesome performance. I think it's time for me to hit the hay. I'm not going to write to you tomorrow because I'll be home by dinner time (alas, you will not be). We're going to stop at Thirty-Six Saloon in Rockville, IN. That's where we stopped on the way back from North Carolina in 2014 and Mike wants to pick up some of their amazing bbq sauce. I'm a little nervous because the "Covered Bridge Festival" is happening in Rockville this weekend and we've heard it draws huge crowds. I just hope we can park without a hassle.

Aside from stopping at Thirty-Six, we're taking my usual avoid-I65 (US 41 North) route straight home. I should turn over 26,000 miles before we get back and we should have about 2,000 miles total for this tour. 2,000 miles of beautiful roads, colors, rivers, and mountains, 2,000 miles of cementing relationships and establishing new ones. 2,000 miles of loving this motorcycle. It's been an amazing 2,000 miles despite it also being 2,000 miles of missing you.

We will be careful on our ride home. Enjoy your stay in Appleton and give Justin a hug from his old man. I can't wait to see you again, sweetheart. What's for dinner Sunday?? ROFL

Until Sunday,

Matt
P.S. -- Good thing that I forgot to send this to you last night because Laura took this sad picture of me eating breakfast without my "partner", Mike this morning.
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2469%20Edited_zpsfhi6cqoh.jpg.html]

See you in about 32 hours. Love you.

MTC
 
EmptySea, there is so much about this thread to admire. First, the conceit of the letters. I love them as a device and I'm annoyed you thought of it before me.

Secondl, I always enjoy your prose and storytelling. These letters are no expception.

Thirdly, I like the way you've described the fun of Mickey's roads without giving away where they are. I'm sure it was an act of generosity and that there was no coercion!

Then there's the great shot of the Ferret and grandson.

But to cap it all, there's the team photo at Ferret's where his legs are glowing in a supernatural kind of way.

Brilliant.

Thank you for the thoughtfulness and trouble you've taken.
 
First off, let me say what a pleasure this has been to read. I assume we have one more installment?

Secondly: Cormanus is right…brilliant concept for a seat time report, and wonderfully written. The strength of your relationship is so evident as to be inspiring.

Third: Dianne and I feel so privileged to be a small part in the great trip you guys had. It was such a pleasure spending the day riding, visiting and eating with the group. You (as in the group) are always welcome in our home. Glad you enjoyed my family. Dianne is a special person, far more than I deserve. She is pretty, intelligent, kind,sincere, generous and has given me a family any man would be proud to be a part of. Plus she puts up with my insane motorcycling, and even enjoys riding nearly as much as I do. I am so blessed. BTW Riley, my grandson in that pic is just a great kid. open heart surgery at 31 days old. It was touch and go for awhile, but what he lacked in physical strength he has made up for in intellegence. Smart kid, and already riding a Yamaha dirt bike at 4 years old. He's my little buddy.

Fourth: I sure missed Cheryl

Fifth: West Virginia is a special place to ride and you guys just scratched the surface, so I’d say when Cheryl is up for it, a return visit should be planned. I may even be convinced to lead you on a couple of great roads down there. If you thought 33 was great, wait until you ride 16 from 33 to the Ohio river.

Siixth: I always talk about being a munchkin and it was never more evident than the pic of you and I standing beside the Ribber wall. Holy cow that almost looks like an optical illusion lol

Anyhow, here are a few pics from that day I took

early morning fog over the Ohio river



Sea's group arriving at meeting place in Ironton Ohio

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF5041_zpse4z7mpu1.jpg.html]

Lunch at Ribber's in Portsmouth Ohio

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF5044_zpslmmugtvb.jpg.html]

Visiting the 1/2 mile long mural wall

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF5046_zpsfy0mbvih.jpg.html]

riding

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF5053_zpsbi0p7f6v.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF5068_zps3uvlrqot.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF5081_zpswyubie0b.jpg.html]
 
Oh and Sea your internal compass was correct we were basically winding our way west then south then west then north then west then south etc in a series of trips toward and away from the Ohio River. In this part of Ohio it is dominated by a series of hills and ridges and all roads running toward or away from the river are curvy around the hills. These maps show the route and the roads are much curvier than the yellow lines make them appear.

from Portsmouth we took 52 west to Rt 125 west thru the Shawnee State Forest to Georgetown Ohio to "old Rt 68" south to the river 52 west to 133 north to Felicity Ohio



From Felicity we took 222 over to 743 ("My Road") south to 52 west to a little road called Laurel-Moscow Road, north over to 756. 756 west to 232 and 232 north to 222 and 222 west to Bethel-New Richmond Road which we took south to Laurel-Lindale Rd which we took north/west over toward my house

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/map%202_zpshm6xvsp5.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
Mickey - Thanks for posting the extra pics and the maps. I "stole" one of your pictures (the one with your effulgent trousers) for my report. I really did not recall the specific roads on which we rode to your home, but I like the idea that I was being creatively covert by not mentioning them, so I'm going to let Cormanus go on thinking that. Ssshhh. Also, you are only slightly shorter than I am; the picture at Ribber's is deceiving. Truth be told, though, we did take one where I squatted down a bit to make us look about the same height. However, I looked washed out in that one and I didn't like my smile, so I went with the one that made me look better. My rodeo, my bull. :)

I do not prepared another installment of this story because to provide one in the same format would be an obvious continuity break. However, there is a bit more to report about our ride home from Cincinnati, how pleased I was with my CB1100, and a few comments about roads I discovered after my online swoon over US33. I will noodle on how to present that information as an epilogue to my bundle of letters.
 
Thread starter
Last Day

14 December 2016

Dear Forum,

I just thought I'd send you a note with a description of our last travel day on this wonderful trip and a summary of highlights from that week.


First the trek home.


And it was a bit of a trek, but with a pretty cool little break in the middle.

In 2013, our group ride was to Robbinsville, NC and on our way home, we stopped in Rockville, Indiana to have lunch at The Thirty-six Saloon, conveniently located on US36. It's a biker-themed bar (as opposed to a "biker bar") with a large patio area, live music, and good house-made barbeque. Mike A., quite the barbequist in his own right, enjoyed it enough to ride (or drive) back down to Rockville with Judy on at least one other occasion. As an aside, I also stopped in at The Thirty-Six later in 2013 on my solo ride to Chattanooga to attend my best friend's funeral.

Mike is keen on the saloon's barbeque sauces which, as it happens, are available for purchase. He had mentioned stopping here to buy sauce on more than one occasion throughout the trip-planning process and even a couple of times during the trip itself. It was apparent that he wanted to make a stop there, but he was apprehensive because Rockville is ground-zero for Indiana's Covered Bridge Festival which would be in full glory on the Saturday we would pass through. He said that half of Indiana shows up for this festival and that it may be hard to park, crowded on the streets, and we may not even get in to The Thirty-Six Saloon. Mike began planning our October trip sometime in January, planned all the stops, all the routes, all the special attractions, including meeting up and riding with TheFerret. This is no small feat and all his planning resulted in one of the best trips, motorcycle or otherwise, on which I have ever been. If the man wanted us to weave through crowds in the middle of Indiana so he could get a couple of bottles of barbeque sauce, we were going to make sure we did that for him.

There was a huge construction delay on I-74 and then more traffic going west on US36. If you look at the map you can see that we detoured to IN-236 to try to avoid some of the traffic. 236 was a very pleasant road, by the way, much nicer than the section of US36 that runs parallel to it.

At any rate, we eventually arrived in Rockville, which was at least as crowded as Mike had feared. Vendors of various trinkets and food stuffs lined both sides of Ohio Street (which is what US36 is called through Rockville) and parking was best described as limited. Laura and I found a nice spot on the main drag next to a nice looking Indian (motorcycle, not Native American). The others found spots on a side street behind the saloon.

Note the traffic in the background
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2471_zpsngmhuigb.jpg.html]

Not only were we lucky enough to get inside Thirty-Six, but a group was leaving as we entered so we were able to grab a seat immediately (thanks to Judy's advance scouting).

[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_0142_zpsgvqsl4qe.jpg.html]

Us
[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2470%20Edited_zps266woa4y.jpg.html]

The food is definitely good and the barbeque sauce is worth transporting home. I recommend a stop at The Thirty-Six Saloon if you're on a ride in the area.

Since I hate me a trip on I-65, we took US41 north along the Illinois/Indiana border all the way into Cedar Lake. Having gassed up near Rockville, Cedar Lake seemed like a great place to fill up again for the last 60 or so miles, most of which would be interstate. In a fortuitous coordination of events, I completed my fueling at the BP in Cedar Lake at exactly 5:00pm and attempted to reset the Trip odometer, but wound up clicking to the main odometer which was reading exactly 26,000 miles.

[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2473_zpsxx35enwh.jpg.html]

The trip on I-294 North was as stressful as it always is. Four, sometimes more, lanes of trucks and cars make it thus, but it was an uneventful 30 miles or so.

I arrived home, after a stop to top off my tank, at 7:19pm. My Trip B was keeping track of the total miles for the trip and it showed 980.6 which of course was actually 1980.6 since it rolled over someplace in West Virginia four or five days earlier.

[url=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/West%20Virginia%202016/IMG_2474_zpsipjzc1xm.jpg.html]

I got home in time to catch Justin's concert on webcast while eating a large spicy pork fried rice I picked up at my favorite local carry-out place. A nice little postscript to my 10-day adventure.

Well friends, that's it for now. I will write another note tomorrow to recap some of my highlights of the trip.

Ride on,

MTC
 
Nice, MTC. Thanks again for a great report.

I once held the office of State Chief Pedant—awarded to me cruelly by a senior officer after I found a minor but important mistake in something or other. That will help you understand why it is I feel obliged to point out the obvious discrepancy between your report and the final photo.

Thanks again.
 
Back
Top