Lets talk feeler gauges

PowerDubs_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
What is everyone using on this bike?

I'd love to have an angled tapered go/no-go set but nobody makes them.

In fact I haven't seen a tapered set angled or a tapered set go/no-go, much less all 3..
 
just because i wanted to know in which direction and how much the valve system wears i got two identical sets of gauges with 0.001 mm. increments.
as you can guess they are very fragile as the smallest blade is indeed 0.001 mm. thick, then 0.002, 0.003 etc.
they are however precise enough to spot a trend in the wear pattern and i keep them well oiled to keep the accuracy up and prevent any rust.

are you leaving the coating on the cam lobes or take it off for the purpose of the correct gap measurement and how accurate ( thickness ) is the coating if you leave it on?
 
I am strictly old school and seldom mess with precision machines.
saying that , my spark plug gauge is the typical auto store round one that has graduated gap.
also use an off the shelf blade set from an auto store .

I do need to check the valves on my 1948 GMC that has the optional 270CI . those valves are checked Hot BTW , besides being 6 volt positive ground the old engine holds 11 qts of oil ......... hope no one minds seeing a photo of it as it is motorcycle related :thumbsup: considering you like HP this was the last unrestricted BUSA built 12 / 1999 but was a 2000 model , it ate Michelin pilots ......
 
I just do not see how coating would effect any type of valve adjustment:huh:
PowerDubs_imp said:
What is everyone using on this bike?

I'd love to have an angled tapered go/no-go set but nobody makes them.

In fact I haven't seen a tapered set angled or a tapered set go/no-go, much less all 3..
These were the best ones for valve adjustment, no doubt about it Josh. :thumbsup:
I had them in 2 different sizes, short & long, sorry nothing is left, gave'em away to my best apprentices, who are now lic. techs
 
Sorry, not at all, I stopped checking valve clearance more than a decade ago
.....signal update for your PC is coming soon...be patient (no sure results yet,)
 
My ancient feeler gauges are Neuses...may no longer be available.
 
use2b_imp said:
I am strictly old school and seldom mess with precision machines.
saying that , my spark plug gauge is the typical auto store round one that has graduated gap.
also use an off the shelf blade set from an auto store .

I do need to check the valves on my 1948 GMC that has the optional 270CI . those valves are checked Hot BTW , besides being 6 volt positive ground the old engine holds 11 qts of oil ......... hope no one minds seeing a photo of it as it is motorcycle related :thumbsup: considering you like HP this was the last unrestricted BUSA built 12 / 1999 but was a 2000 model , it ate Michelin pilots ......
I was on the back of a friends Norton Commando 150 miles from home when it faultered. He used a small stick to hold the mechanical spark advance open, the cover of a match book to set the points, and a cigarette paper between the points to set the timing. Purred like a kitten the rest of the way home.

As I remember a match book cover could also be used to gauge 2-stroke spark plugs. But it has been a long time, and I don't remember much anymore more.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I never could own a British bike when I was young because I did not smoke.
I didn't smoke either. But when you have to overhaul a bike every 10,000 miles you learn a lot about motorcycle mechanics and the road side tricks.
 
I smoked, but never owned a British bike.

I admire your optimistic recollection, Nortoon. My recollection of mates who owned British bikes back in the day was that the were lucky to get them for their garage to the end of the street without having to push them home and pull them down again. On the other hand, they knew a great deal more than me about motorcycle mechanics.
 
Well I do not smoke either, but a Triumph, Norton, BSA was not in my budget, too hard to keep the smoke inside Lucas wiring, and leaky motors were not appealing.

I did admire the look of the 650cc Bonneville, circa mid-sixties.
 
One of the things I learned about BSAs is that they had a built in chain oiler. Inside the primary case is a small well that catches some of the primary chain oil. The oil passes through a tunnel to a rubber tube over the chain next to the sprocket. The result is a greasy bike. When I had mine apart I dropped some solder into the well, and removed the rubber hose. My BSAs stayed clean after that.

The chains of that era all had master links. So removing and installing a chain was easy. When I changed the motor oil, I boiled the chain in the used oil and hung it up on the clothes line with a coat hanger to allow the excess to drip off. Back then the used oil was poured down a sewer or a hole in the back yard. Wouldn't that make today's tree huggers scream.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
One of the things I learned about BSAs is that they had a built in chain oiler. Inside the primary case is a small well that catches some of the primary chain oil. The oil passes through a tunnel to a rubber tube over the chain next to the sprocket. The result is a greasy bike. When I had mine apart I dropped some solder into the well, and removed the rubber hose. My BSAs stayed clean after that.

The chains of that era all had master links. So removing and installing a chain was easy. When I changed the motor oil, I boiled the chain in the used oil and hung it up on the clothes line with a coat hanger to allow the excess to drip off. Back then the used oil was poured down a sewer or a hole in the back yard. Wouldn't that make today's tree huggers scream.
Did mom fuss?
Nortoon_imp said:
One of the things I learned about BSAs is that they had a built in chain oiler. Inside the primary case is a small well that catches some of the primary chain oil. The oil passes through a tunnel to a rubber tube over the chain next to the sprocket. The result is a greasy bike. When I had mine apart I dropped some solder into the well, and removed the rubber hose. My BSAs stayed clean after that.

The chains of that era all had master links. So removing and installing a chain was easy. When I changed the motor oil, I boiled the chain in the used oil and hung it up on the clothes line with a coat hanger to allow the excess to drip off. Back then the used oil was poured down a sewer or a hole in the back yard. Wouldn't that make today's tree huggers scream.
Do you remember when oil was sprayed on dirt roads to keep the dust down?!
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
One of the things I learned about BSAs is that they had a built in chain oiler. Inside the primary case is a small well that catches some of the primary chain oil. The oil passes through a tunnel to a rubber tube over the chain next to the sprocket. The result is a greasy bike. When I had mine apart I dropped some solder into the well, and removed the rubber hose. My BSAs stayed clean after that.

The chains of that era all had master links. So removing and installing a chain was easy. When I changed the motor oil, I boiled the chain in the used oil and hung it up on the clothes line with a coat hanger to allow the excess to drip off. Back then the used oil was poured down a sewer or a hole in the back yard. Wouldn't that make today's tree huggers scream.
Did mom fuss?
Nortoon_imp said:
One of the things I learned about BSAs is that they had a built in chain oiler. Inside the primary case is a small well that catches some of the primary chain oil. The oil passes through a tunnel to a rubber tube over the chain next to the sprocket. The result is a greasy bike. When I had mine apart I dropped some solder into the well, and removed the rubber hose. My BSAs stayed clean after that.

The chains of that era all had master links. So removing and installing a chain was easy. When I changed the motor oil, I boiled the chain in the used oil and hung it up on the clothes line with a coat hanger to allow the excess to drip off. Back then the used oil was poured down a sewer or a hole in the back yard. Wouldn't that make today's tree huggers scream.
Do you remember when oil was sprayed on dirt roads to keep the dust down?!
My mum didn't fuss about that. But leaving rubber tire marks on the basement stairs dragging my bikes down to the basement to work on them during the winter was not appreciated.

I remember when they use to use the oil from the transformers on hydro poles to spray on dirt roads. That did stop until the public found out it contained hazardous PCBs.
 
[/QUOTE]
Do you remember when oil was sprayed on dirt roads to keep the dust down?!
[/QUOTE]



We use our old motor oil in the south to pour around the foundations of our wooden homes and keep termites out !!!!!:thumbsup:
also around fence post for the same reason plus it helps stop rot .

I mentioned before my friend in the USMC had an 850 Commando I would help him kick start .[ was a small guy ] and he loved my CB750K
 
Nortoon_imp said:
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
One of the things I learned about BSAs is that they had a built in chain oiler. Inside the primary case is a small well that catches some of the primary chain oil. The oil passes through a tunnel to a rubber tube over the chain next to the sprocket. The result is a greasy bike. When I had mine apart I dropped some solder into the well, and removed the rubber hose. My BSAs stayed clean after that.

The chains of that era all had master links. So removing and installing a chain was easy. When I changed the motor oil, I boiled the chain in the used oil and hung it up on the clothes line with a coat hanger to allow the excess to drip off. Back then the used oil was poured down a sewer or a hole in the back yard. Wouldn't that make today's tree huggers scream.
Did mom fuss?
Nortoon_imp said:
One of the things I learned about BSAs is that they had a built in chain oiler. Inside the primary case is a small well that catches some of the primary chain oil. The oil passes through a tunnel to a rubber tube over the chain next to the sprocket. The result is a greasy bike. When I had mine apart I dropped some solder into the well, and removed the rubber hose. My BSAs stayed clean after that.

The chains of that era all had master links. So removing and installing a chain was easy. When I changed the motor oil, I boiled the chain in the used oil and hung it up on the clothes line with a coat hanger to allow the excess to drip off. Back then the used oil was poured down a sewer or a hole in the back yard. Wouldn't that make today's tree huggers scream.
Do you remember when oil was sprayed on dirt roads to keep the dust down?!
My mum didn't fuss about that. But leaving rubber tire marks on the basement stairs dragging my bikes down to the basement to work on them during the winter was not appreciated.

I remember when they use to use the oil from the transformers on hydro poles to spray on dirt roads. That did stop until the public found out it contained hazardous PCBs.
PCBs were a big deal when the 1971 Sylmar earthquake severely damaged the Sylmar Converter Station in the north part of the Los Angeles San Fernando Valley...especially since the station was right next to the Van Norman Reservoir, which lost part of the dam facing, resulting in the evacuation of ~80,000 residents.
 
After an engine block, 750 cc & crank came back from machine shop, I put in the bathtub and give'em a good wash to remove all metal fillings +++. My mom was screaming and was very upset, so my dad intervene and said "it's better that we know what Peter is doing and where...instead of being it unknown"...
When in winter, overhauling and porting a 2-stroke, 175cc engine was completed, I let it sit on cabinet near my bed until spring..

More than certain, everyone has similar stories :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top