Let's see your CB1100 out on the road!

Alprider, those pictures just gave me an idea... Mrs. Gone picked boxes of fruit at her Mom's yesterday, and they are cluttering up the house. I think this would be not only a more practical use for them, but decorative as well!
On the way home from work yesterday, I stopped by The Bike Shed in L.A.'s arts district to see what was what, chat with other riders and get my now customary iced coffee to wake me up for the rest of the ride home.

I parked next to the Guzzi Eldorado I submitted for the monthly photo challenge, then noticed that the traffic on nearby Sixth Street waiting to try out the new bridge was very light.

The new Sixth Street Bridge over the L.A. River has been quite newsworthy since its opening, as it immediately became the place for everyone's 15 minutes of internet fame - hooligan bikers, street takeovers, people climbing up the looping spans... a few times a local barber set up a chair and gave haircuts in traffic. It's been closed many times already, has been defaced with skidmarks and spray paint, and is proof that we can't have nice things.

Since I hadn't ridden over it yet, and traffic was light, I figured I'd give it a try. It's around the corner and down the street from The Bike Shed. As I neared, I heard a weird swarming sound. A group of about 40 little Taco minibikes was buzzing up Sixth to cross the bridge, so I hung back to let them all go by, not wanting to be in the middle of their unlicensed mayhem.

Even so, one late-comer was behind me when I did cross, with his mini bike sawing away. Despite the rather empty bridge, there were motor officers at both ends, and an LAPD copter lazily circling overhead. The officer on the downtown side of the bridge had just pulled over someone on the bridge for what looked like an illegal turn, so he chose to ignore the cacophony of the Taco swarm as it rode past him.

The bridge surface is covered in skidmarks and donut marks, and hastily-installed temporary fencing now lines the walkways on both sides to try to keep people from climbing up the circular spans.

I posted a video of the crossing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCGu7CzKwh4&t=19s
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Was that last officer eyeballing your CB Gone?
Ha! No, but if you were watching the video, you can hear the sound of the little minibike behind me, which sounded like it had an unmuffled chain saw engine.

I'm sure that sound got his attention, especially after a swarm of about 40 of the loud little buggers had just gone past him.

It's nice to see things calm down on the bridge, but from what I understand most of the mayhem goes on at night.
 
Seemed very calm and not much traffic for California.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Seemed very calm and not much traffic for California.
You know, I thought so too, and I thought it was pretty odd. It was the first weekend in recent memory that it wasn't too oppressively hot to get outside and do something, and traffic was pretty light. I have about a 30 or so mile ride home from that bridge down I5, which usually has plenty of congested spots through East L.A. no matter what time or day it is, and it was the first ride home that I could remember that I didn't have to split lanes at any point.
 
I just left LA (Santa Clarita) after visiting my brother for 10 days early afternoon this Saturday, the first day of a normal temperature! It has been around 109 for most of my stay. I got the LAX Flyaway bus from Van Neys to save my brother the hassle of the Freeway, glad I did, the I5 was packed where I was going.
 
Bummer that the temperatures just started coming down as you were leaving. That was the hottest September spell we've had in quite a while.
Safe travels home! That Flyaway bus can come in very handy.

Flying Aer Lingus by any chance? The last time I did, on the way to Birmingham for a trade show, I was delayed in Dublin. The gate agents were gauging the length of the delay by how many pints of Guinness I would be able to consume before the next flight boarded.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Bummer that the temperatures just started coming down as you were leaving. That was the hottest September spell we've had in quite a while.
Safe travels home! That Flyaway bus can come in very handy.

Flying Aer Lingus by any chance? The last time I did, on the way to Birmingham for a trade show, I was delayed in Dublin. The gate agents were gauging the length of the delay by how many pints of Guinness I would be able to consume before the next flight boarded.
Well its a good strategy to down Guinness in Ireland :thumbsup: I was with Aer Lingus, direct to Dublin. Unfortunately I was delayed at LAX, there was no Guinness and a glass of wine $16, I wasn't prepared to pay that much! That was nothing compared to Aer Lingus taking three and a half hours to get my bags off the plane in Dublin though. COVID has a lot to answer for (or the way it was handled at least).
 
Actually I was thinking more Tom Petty with the line "Into the Great Wide Open".
That does look cool. I have a similar picture somewhere of sky and clouds reflecting off of my Triumph's black tank.
Tev62_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Bummer that the temperatures just started coming down as you were leaving. That was the hottest September spell we've had in quite a while.
Safe travels home! That Flyaway bus can come in very handy.

Flying Aer Lingus by any chance? The last time I did, on the way to Birmingham for a trade show, I was delayed in Dublin. The gate agents were gauging the length of the delay by how many pints of Guinness I would be able to consume before the next flight boarded.
Well its a good strategy to down Guinness in Ireland :thumbsup: I was with Aer Lingus, direct to Dublin. Unfortunately I was delayed at LAX, there was no Guinness and a glass of wine $16, I wasn't prepared to pay that much! That was nothing compared to Aer Lingus taking three and a half hours to get my bags off the plane in Dublin though. COVID has a lot to answer for (or the way it was handled at least).
Well its a good strategy to down Guinness in Ireland :thumbsup: I was with Aer Lingus, direct to Dublin. Unfortunately I was delayed at LAX, there was no Guinness and a glass of wine $16, I wasn't prepared to pay that much! That was nothing compared to Aer Lingus taking three and a half hours to get my bags off the plane in Dublin though. COVID has a lot to answer for (or the way it was handled at least).
Perhaps the baggage handlers in Dublin were the same guys who suggested I consume great amounts of Guinness, after having some themselves?

Delayed at LAX? My heavens, I've never heard of that! :P
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Actually I was thinking more Tom Petty with the line "Into the Great Wide Open".
That does look cool. I have a similar picture somewhere of sky and clouds reflecting off of my Triumph's black tank.
Tev62_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Bummer that the temperatures just started coming down as you were leaving. That was the hottest September spell we've had in quite a while.
Safe travels home! That Flyaway bus can come in very handy.

Flying Aer Lingus by any chance? The last time I did, on the way to Birmingham for a trade show, I was delayed in Dublin. The gate agents were gauging the length of the delay by how many pints of Guinness I would be able to consume before the next flight boarded.
Well its a good strategy to down Guinness in Ireland :thumbsup: I was with Aer Lingus, direct to Dublin. Unfortunately I was delayed at LAX, there was no Guinness and a glass of wine $16, I wasn't prepared to pay that much! That was nothing compared to Aer Lingus taking three and a half hours to get my bags off the plane in Dublin though. COVID has a lot to answer for (or the way it was handled at least).
Well its a good strategy to down Guinness in Ireland :thumbsup: I was with Aer Lingus, direct to Dublin. Unfortunately I was delayed at LAX, there was no Guinness and a glass of wine $16, I wasn't prepared to pay that much! That was nothing compared to Aer Lingus taking three and a half hours to get my bags off the plane in Dublin though. COVID has a lot to answer for (or the way it was handled at least).
Perhaps the baggage handlers in Dublin were the same guys who suggested I consume great amounts of Guinness, after having some themselves?

Delayed at LAX? My heavens, I've never heard of that! :P
I had this song in my mind when I rode that long country road. It was the reason for the pic's title. Whenever I ride along such a road it feels like into the great wide open to me.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
mikeymike88_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Mr P shooting Polaroids at the rally

daf532cb8667a89228b11835a37301c4.jpg

Looks like he’s shooting an sx-70. I inherited one of those from my great grandpa years ago and finally tested it out last week. Unfortunately it needs some work and the images didn’t come out right. Expensive pack of film just to learn the camera didn’t work lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like he’s shooting an sx-70. I inherited one of those from my great grandpa years ago and finally tested it out last week. Unfortunately it needs some work and the images didn’t come out right. Expensive pack of film just to learn the camera didn’t work lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YES! thats a sx70 Alpha, rebuilt and recovered it myself. Shoots like a champ. Its my favorite vacation camera due to portability and focal control, and the third one ive used to date.


They are very easy to restore, honestly. Something as simple as a spring or spindle out of position or a light leak from the bellows could be the only problem.

Looks like he’s shooting an sx-70. I inherited one of those from my great grandpa years ago and finally tested it out last week. Unfortunately it needs some work and the images didn’t come out right. Expensive pack of film just to learn the camera didn’t work lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YES! thats a sx70 Alpha, rebuilt and recovered it myself. Shoots like a champ. Its my favorite vacation camera due to portability and focal control, and the third one ive used to date.


They are very easy to restore, honestly. Something as simple as a spring or spindle out of position or a light leak from the bellows could be the only problem.

Good to know! I've never tackled a camera repair but I've been tempted. I'll look into it.
tommymck_imp said:
mikeymike88_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Mr P shooting Polaroids at the rally

daf532cb8667a89228b11835a37301c4.jpg

Looks like he’s shooting an sx-70. I inherited one of those from my great grandpa years ago and finally tested it out last week. Unfortunately it needs some work and the images didn’t come out right. Expensive pack of film just to learn the camera didn’t work lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great grandpa? Sheez. You know you're getting old when somebody's "great grandpa" passed something down that was available when you were in high school.
Great grandpa? Sheez. You know you're getting old when somebody's "great grandpa" passed something down that was available when you were in high school.

Hahaha he was born in 1910, but was an avid camera collecter/buyer so when he passed away in the late 90's I was lucky enough to inherit a couple cameras. Sparked my interest in photography.
 
Took the CB out for a saturday ride first to a post office and then to a Döner Shop, which tries to catch customers with a low special offer price for a Kebab. It tasted good. Afterwards I rode through the landscape near Kiel and was home before endless rain started.

CB time is a lovely time.

 
Beautiful 68° day in Chicagoland. Left my office at about 1:30 for a coffee break ride. 50 miles and 100 minutes later, I returned to my office fully caffeinated and well-“breaked”

32d0a1c75f5d4b6e0bc510469ae9831d.jpg

Tala Coffee is a neat not-so-little coffee shop in a former firehouse in Highwood, IL

2d02b200037d8ab66a0acb829cce1b6c.jpg

It’s a Nitro Cold-brew coffee, but it looks like a Guinness. The biscotti just looks like biscotti.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I thought it was raisin bread..shoulda known it would be something fancy named lol
 
Back
Top