Let's see your CB1100 out on the road!

Cormanus_imp said:
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
This was Sunday morning on the way to the museum on the 405.

The Goodyear Blimp was getting ready to take off from its flying field. Unfortunately, the GoPro couldn't get a clear enough shot of it, as I was planning to use it as my snarky entry into the monthly photo contest.

I was going to claim that a blimp is propeller-driven, and while the rules stipulated that helicopters didn't count, there was no mention of blimps.
Your story reminds me of when I first moved to Miami, FL, from Kansas at the tender age of 16. I was driving our '52 Buick to my Mom's office to have lunch with her. As I drove through Miami, suddenly this very large, silver UFO rose slowly from the neighborhood to my right. I had no idea what in the world I was witnessing until it got high enough that I could make out that it was the Goodyear blimp, which in those days was anchored in the old Orange Bowl stadium, which was in the heart of Miami. That was the first time I ever saw a blimp, but not the last. And it was my first and last UFO sighting as well.
Nachodaddy, don’t be too sure of that. Word has it that newer model UFOs look just like human made flying objects.
Nachodaddy, don’t be too sure of that. Word has it that newer model UFOs look just like human made flying objects. :rofl:
 
Another lunchtime sandwich run for me. Nearby you can pop out of a small country road to an old, but still running, railway crossing. Immediately behind are the cranes of the incessant build and expansion of the Intel FAB. The Intel corporation is a great employer of the area and generates a significant wedge of Ireland's GDP. Over 20 years ago I worked for Rockwell Automation and used to take £1m PUNT orders from Intel for Programmable Logic Controllers, my bonus checks were great when Intel went shopping!

PUNT = the Irish Pound, which ceased to be legal tender with the adoption of the Euro in 2002.



 
Closed a deal at work late morning and treated myself to a 100km spin out to the Hill of Tara for lunch, well soup and a sandwich anyways. Tara was the chief pagan sanctuary of early Ireland which started in the late fourth millennium before the birth of Christ. It is like a lot of Irish natural sights; you just rock up and walk in. No theme park or commercialisation, you can walk around for free and get a coffee at the café there.

The church (St Patrick's) is a modern 1822 build over the remnants of a church granted a charter in the 1190's.

A group of calling themselves the British Israelites conducted a series of amateur excavations at Rath na Seanadh (The Rath of Synods) between 1899 and 1902. They mistakenly believed the Ark of the Covenant was buried there, based on myths and legends connecting the Bible, Egypt and Ireland. These myths were probably designed by the early Irish monks to draw connections between the Bible and the prehistory of Ireland.

Hill of Tara - Wikipedia














 
Wow, what a beautiful ride! Can't treat myself to such a pastoral ride when I close a deal, but sure wish I could!
 
Stunning photos and interesting commentary, Tev.
 
Back
Top