Let's see what I can do with these...

PowerDubs_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
de950417c78bae95fc564803a3db3b81.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Well, as close as I can homemade get to a shiny silver look at home anyway.

While plastic can be truly chromed, it is very expensive. Even the $300+ 'chromed' airbox covers from Samurider were not really chromed- I asked- they are just vacuum wrapped.

The covers are cheap- so I am going to try my best with chrome spray and see if I can't get a decent 10 footer out of them.
 
Thread starter
Thank you for that picture- now I know to tape off the flat lips so they don't show like those. I'll keep that part black.
Would you mind if I asked which paint and what prep you did for that? What the process was?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I really don't like how this forum software a pens each message to my last one if nobody else has posted. It tends to screw things up more than help.

Anyway here are the initial pictures after my spray.

I knew that it wasn't going to look like chrome, but that is OK because I did a brushed finish on the side covers, valve cover, and the wheels that I ground down.

Once they are left to drive for at least 48 hours, I will buff the surface which should help slightly in the reflection.

Overall I am happy with the way they initially look, while not mirror chrome in appearance, from a few feet away they definitely look like they are metal. And thanks to the prior poster, I taped off the top lip so it will remain blacks as to not stand out as much.

228e4531514d941d5596cc4d51732ac9.jpg
7ab3b64c65501c34c77d3f915f3d449c.jpg
48a9348eb7dc701c01f1ca1d5717f05d.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
If I had more paint- for both the gloss black undercoat and the 'chrome' spray- I imagine it would come out more reflective as I could spend more time with layers and sanding... but there is a limit to my patience as motorcycles are not my only hobby. ;)

Also- cost was a concern, because even where we are at now- I spent about $60 on paint and sandpaper as well a several hours.

Anything more and I would just pay Takashi for the vacuum wrapped ones. Yes $300 is more money- but less effort and I can work instead of work..if you know what I mean...

Maybe I should have done that to start...but all this is more about 'I did that' and the hobby instead of perfection..

Anyone can 'build' a bike or car by handing a shop a credit card. That has never been my way.
For reference- the style my bike is going for- Dremeled my side covers- what do you think?
 
PowerDubs, for that appending posts thing--its a time thing. If you post again within a certain time it appends. Wait long enough and it won't.

I do not know how much time you have to wait though.

I could do some experimenting, but it would drive Cormanus nuts what with all the test posts and he'd most likely ban me :)
 
Powerdubs You might consider going to a window tint / vinyl wrap car shop. I had my side covers done in black carbon fiber wrap. mine came out good to meet my satisfaction. I have a 13 model with silver side covers ,Red bike . Just wanted something different. Would post pics but still don't know how. The cost for both sides was $45.00 and can be removed if I get a change of mind.
 
Back
Top